Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

Quest looks to be off to a good start. Zuckerberg commented following in quarterly earnings call.

This quarter, we shipped Oculus Quest, our first all-in-one headset with no wires and full freedom of movement. It has gotten great reviews and we’re selling them as fast as we can make them. More importantly, we’ve delivered an experience that people keep using week after week, and buying more content.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-sales-data-demand-zuckerberg-facebook-earnings-call/

They didn't cite actual unit numbers?

Not as convincing.

I meant this on business context. Oculus forecast for demand has been pretty good if the demand is same or higher as their production volume. Bad would be if the product didn't sell and oculus would have to ramp down production.

VR is still a very niche market. I'm not expecting that to change rapidly. Anecdotally though even my parents/older relatives love Quest and many of them said after trying "I will get this for Christmas". Somehow christmas is the time to buy pointless toys.

Major problem with vr is that one has to try it with good headset to understand. Near impossible to sell with tv/youtube advertisement.

This was a FB quarterly earnings conference?

This is where the company tries to tout its future growth prospects and new products like VR are suppose to help them grow revenues.

If they had a stupendous hit, they would be talking numbers.

Some places estimate 250k and some estimate 1m+ units sold. Seems like no one knows yet. 250k seems more reasonable to me.

To me the important thing is not if it's 10 units or million units. Important is that sales are meeting oculus(==facebook) expectations. This will keep the investment to vr alive. It would be such a shame if vr died and went away.

If quest does well enough that might encourage other players like sony to also try the standalone vr headset/console business. Playstation/XBox branded standalone headset would be dynamite!

Well... now I have to post at least ONE incredibly negative aspect of Quest (this happened on Rift one time as well)...

I have been all day long programming something very special (well, to me =), and when I finally uploaded this brand new code to the Quest... it does not load Home or Library, because there is something wrong at Oculus *and* because of that I can't even run my own incredibly cool (well, to me =) game prototype.

I confirmed that this is not just me:

Why those guys do things like that, I remember purging my last iPhone many years ago because of similar behavior from Apple... do you guys know if Vive does a similar thing to its users as well? I never had nor tried a Vive.

Honestly, if I can only use the Quest when Oculus is online, then I'll sincerely consider purging it and getting something else.

Not kidding, I am really upset.

UPDATE: hmmmkay, I managed to run my app using ADB:

Code:
adb shell am start -n com.imersiva.cool_app/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity

That alleviates me, but they should liberate menus and let you use YOUR device easily when they're offline, that seems so simple...

Ok Oculus, I'm forgiving you, because the Quest is so cute and nice. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hrrm ok, so, it's back after an hour or so. I got a bit upset initially, but this device is so great, I still love it. Considering that it is also so new yet, we need to give them some credit until they stabilize the platform. I only hope that they put a fall back to a local menu when something like this happen again.

(wish I could delete the above posts, lol)

i should buy red matter this week end, looks like a great and beautiful game.
Can't wait for the Oculus Go compatibility mode too, as i have bought many Go games that i can't use anymore since i gave my Go to a friend.

I tried Oculus Quest at Gamescom. While the screen is quite impressive (notice very slow SDE), I definitely noticed the weight, compared to PSVR. After a few minutes, my head was "angling" from the pressure in the front. I'm glad I didn't buy it as it would be intolerable for me or give me neck problems.

UPDATE: hmmmkay, I managed to run my app using ADB:

Code:
adb shell am start -n com.imersiva.cool_app/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity

That alleviates me, but they should liberate menus and let you use YOUR device easily when they're offline, that seems so simple...

Ok Oculus, I'm forgiving you, because the Quest is so cute and nice. =)

Oh, didn't know it used Android as its OS, although it makes sense.

If I had to guess vr events is the killer app for casual vr users.

NextVR, the VR livestreaming event app, is now available on Oculus Quest for free, which is said to come alongside a new technology that promises clearer and sharper video rendering.

The studio calls the new rendering technology ‘PAVE’, which is said to enable new features like enhanced in-experience graphic overlays (e.g. stats, instant replays) and forthcoming multi-user interactions such as multi-user game trivia during timeouts.

https://www.roadtovr.com/nextvr-brings-live-streamed-events-oculus-quest/

Quest sw sales seem good. One quote below, comments from many more developers behind link. Looks like quest is a game changer.

Previously, we’ve heard from the developers of Red Matter who said “we have surpassed Red Matter’s all time sales on Rift in just a few days on Oculus Quest” and Superhot who said sales were 300% higher on Quest, calling the all-in-one VR system “a watershed moment for the industry and the sales numbers suggests that players believe so too.”

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-sales-strong/

Back