Viability of a new portable PlayStation

I can't see them getting games for a portable if it's not super-easily portable. Expectations for sales of a basic handheld would be very low, so who'd bother porting unless it's a case of flicking a switch on a PS4 title?

They could advertise it as a flawless [and it really has to be flawless] RP device for PS5, but with on-board PS4 hardware. It can be big, like Ipad+control grips big.
gameviceheld-800x440.jpg

It doesn't only need to be vr games for vr headset. One could just use it as giant 2d display and bring home theater/2d games on the go. A lot of people watch netflix/youtube on mobile, vr headset would be infinitely better. I believe there is market for quest like product. Even the ergonomics is better with vr headset than trying to stare small screen on your hands.

I would argue opposite, portable console brings nothing over mobile phone/tablet. quest like headset brings something new, especially if has very high quality display. I'm done with portable consoles, high quality portable vr headset on the other hand,..I bought psp and ps vita. I would not buy traditional portable console anymore.

How about cloning switch's concept?

Except this time the dock is optional (build-in full sized HDMI OUT port).

But I prefer if it's become one generation with PS5. It act as the lowest PS5 tier (PS5 pro, PS5, PS5 portable)

Where it can play PS5 games at 540p30fps on 720p screen.

You need something to go from USB C into HDMI as used on all consumer entertainment devices. So enter the cable/adapter with one end USB C Male and other end HDMI Male. It's just naming pedantics, if it's an adapter or just a cable.

I meant full sized HDMI for the ease of plug and play.

Bring PS5P anywhere, plug to any TV. No dongles, no converter cables needed.

You don't even need to bring the USB C power adapter.

That's the best solution really that you can spontaneously unplug any HDMI device and put the cable in the PlayStationThing directly. If you need a specific lead, you have to carry that around that lead to be able to connect the device.

Full size hdmi ports are not really mobile friendly because of the thickness required and they dont really stay plugged in. That's why I brought up other plug styles.

They could advertise it as a flawless [and it really has to be flawless] RP device for PS5, but with on-board PS4 hardware. It can be big, like Ipad+control grips big.
gameviceheld-800x440.jpg
Why bother with ultra old and inefficient GCN hardware to run PS4 games ? They could use RDNA2 or RDNA3 modern stuff and do proper PS4 (but not Pro) emulation on a tablet sized device.

About as a flawless RP device for PS5, they could make all PS5P comes with free PS5Now game streaming service for games that you already bought on PS5.

So you don't even need to keep the PS5 connected to power and high speed low latency internet

Why would Sony take on the costs of PSNow for free? That's just throwing money away. PSNow only makes sense as a paid subscription service or game-rental service.

About as a flawless RP device for PS5
In my case, "flawless" signified a presence of a dedicated WiFi module that would be only used for broadcasting RP.

For many users PS4 RP is often unreliable because the console has only one WiFI module, and PSN connection has vastly higher priority, totally destroying the quality of RP feed [even when PSN bandwith is not in use].

They have to do what WiiU has done, create a rocksolid solution for short range video broadcasting. That will cost them $1-2 per console, which may be too much to them [that's $100-200 million thrown away over the entire lifespan of the console, for a feature that not everyone will use].

Last edited:
Why would Sony take on the costs of PSNow for free? That's just throwing money away. PSNow only makes sense as a paid subscription service or game-rental service.

I don't meant it as a real psnow.

But as an extension of the benefits of buying digital PS5 games. It allows you to stream anywhere, just like PS4 Remote play.

But this time it leverage psnow's infrastructure instead of relying on your own infrastructure (home internet, home console, home electricity).

So only games you bought digitally or the disc is currently inserted in PS5 will work.

In my case, "flawless" signified a presence of a dedicated WiFi module that would be only used for broadcasting RP.

For many users PS4 RP is often unreliable because the console has only one WiFI module, and PSN connection has vastly higher priority, totally destroying the quality of RP feed [even when PSN bandwith is not in use].

They have to do what WiiU has done, create a rocksolid solution for short range video broadcasting. That will cost them $1-2 per console, which may be too much to them [that's $100-200 million thrown away over the entire lifespan of the console].

PS4 already can create a dedicated wifi that are dedicated only for remote play or remote app.

The dictated wifi for remit play for some bonkers reason only works out if the box for PSVITA (because the WIFI password is never shown to the user). But if you have a hacked PS4 or hacked VITA you can get the WIFI password and connect to the dedicated wifi and play PC remote play.

The dedicated wifi for remote app only limited to very limited games e.g. The new ELIZA game.

I don't meant it as a real psnow. But this time it leverage psnow's infrastructure instead of relying on your own infrastructure (home internet, home console, home electricity).
How so? Is the game running on PS5 being streamed, or on Sony's servers?

How so? Is the game running on PS5 being streamed, or on Sony's servers?

On Sony server but you won't get all library access unless you subscribe to ps now.

Heck, it could become an advertisement for ps now (now you've experienced how handy ps now is, and it works awesome. upgrade to ps now premium tier and you can play all PS libraries on the go, on PS5, on PC, anywhere)

On Sony server but you won't get all library access unless you subscribe to ps now.
That's the problem though. It costs money for Sony to run and stream the games from their servers. Why would they do that for free? Current PSNow subscribers are ~700,000. Imagine three million portable users streaming games without paying any subscription. Then 30 million...

Dunno, maybe it'll boost ps now subs substantially

Hmm I think Microsoft is in much better position doing that. They have the cloud power, they also can expand XPA.

Last edited:
Back