AMD Ryzen CPU Reviews and Previews (3000 series)

I'm currently running my Ryzen 7 3700X on a Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5, runs fine but boosts only around 4,2 GHz on this BIOS and stock cooler. Got new mobo (Asus Prime X570 Pro) waiting already and will install my AiO when I jump over to that mobo, but still waiting for my RX 5700 XT Pulse before I make the jump (because I'm going to do clean install when I get all the pieces together).

Does just cloning a drive work for boot drives? I'm probably going to get Samsung PCIe4 NVMe SSD as soon as the consumer variants are out, and wouldn't want to do another clean install at that point

Also had some fun building a system from scratch, based on the 3700X and a X570 Taichi (the only one in stock at my local shop)
The CPU performs better as I expected (with a proprietary CPU renderer), faster than my 7820X using AVX2, and at half the power. (7820X still faster with AVX512)
I might want to upgrade to the 16 core when it becomes available,

OK, so my Ryzen 7 3700x arrived and I just installed it along with the BIOS to support it. I have to say, I'm impressed with how well it's gone with minimal tweaking on the Taichi x370.

Where before with my Ryzen 1600x and an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS, I could only manage DDR4 3000 speeds with 2 sticks of memory (forget 4 sticks) with my DDR4 3200 kits, I'm now able to easily do the XMP profile DDR4 3200 speeds. Not only that, but it can do it with 4 sticks of mixed memory. Hugely impressed. Now it's on a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3.ABB

Next up is to tweak the memory to see if I can get it to 3600 speed. Both kits of memory can hit at least 3733 speeds, so will be interesting to see if I can hit 3600 with all 4 sticks.

Also need to tweak the CPU settings. At default UEFI settings it only does 4.2 GHz single and 3.9 GHz all core. Definitely have to get that up a bit.

Still, I'm overall quite happy. System also seems noticeably more responsive than the 1600x. But I have yet to load it up with all the things I generally run.

I do have to repeat, though. Memory support is WAY better than first gen Ryzen.

Regards,
SB

OK, so my Ryzen 7 3700x arrived and I just installed it along with the BIOS to support it. I have to say, I'm impressed with how well it's gone with minimal tweaking on the Taichi x370.

Where before with my Ryzen 1600x and an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS, I could only manage DDR4 3000 speeds with 2 sticks of memory (forget 4 sticks) with my DDR4 3200 kits, I'm now able to easily do the XMP profile DDR4 3200 speeds. Not only that, but it can do it with 4 sticks of mixed memory. Hugely impressed. Now it's on a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3.ABB

Next up is to tweak the memory to see if I can get it to 3600 speed. Both kits of memory can hit at least 3733 speeds, so will be interesting to see if I can hit 3600 with all 4 sticks.

Also need to tweak the CPU settings. At default UEFI settings it only does 4.2 GHz single and 3.9 GHz all core. Definitely have to get that up a bit.

Still, I'm overall quite happy. System also seems noticeably more responsive than the 1600x. But I have yet to load it up with all the things I generally run.

I do have to repeat, though. Memory support is WAY better than first gen Ryzen.

Regards,
SB
Same experience here, everything went surprisingly smooth. Got the bare MB up and running to Windows 10 in half an hour. Just swapping the SSD from a decommissioned PC did the job. (+ reactivating with a recycled win pro code)
Installing the bundled cooler also was a breeze.
Spent most of the time adjusting the profile for silencing the pesky chipset fan (on x570).

Thinking about the performance of the 3700x. I wonder if part of why it feels so much better than the 1600x in my daily tasks is that it has better hardware protection against the various hardware exploits that have come out in the past year or so?

This is, in many ways, similar to how the 1600x felt prior to all the patches to mitigate those hardware CPU exploits. Or to put it another way, the 1600x felt much MUCH slower post meltdown/specter/etc. mitigation patches than it did before those patches came out.

Regards,
SB

I'm going to buy an HP notebook with a 3500u
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06410126/

Aftermarket I will upgrade to a bigger ssd, and double the amount of ram.
While choosing the new modules, I've noticed that even if the HP official spec sheet says DDR4 2400, in accordance with AMD's specs, it mounts a Samsung's M471A1K43CB1-CTD that is 2600.
It's just the effect of components availability, or there's a less know modality for mobile ryzens?
Anyway, best sodimm for 3500u?

I'm going to buy an HP notebook with a 3500u
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06410126/

Aftermarket I will upgrade to a bigger ssd, and double the amount of ram.
While choosing the new modules, I've noticed that even if the HP official spec sheet says DDR4 2400, in accordance with AMD's specs, it mounts a Samsung's M471A1K43CB1-CTD that is 2600.
It's just the effect of components availability, or there's a less know modality for mobile ryzens?
Anyway, best sodimm for 3500u?

The 3500U only supports 2400 MT/s DDR4, so if you put higher clocked memory in there it'll just downclock to the maximum supported by the APU. So it doesn't really matter what memory you get there as long as it supports 2400MT/s at decent latency and 1.2V.
Unless that HP's bios/uefi supports unofficial memory overclocking.

"I have never used the word ‘bloodbath’ in a review before. It seems messy, violent, and a little bit gruesome. But when we look at the results from the new AMD Threadripper processors, it seems more than appropriate."
:LOL::LOL:

Comparison charts from PCWorld are also very telling:
https://images.idgesg.net/images/ar...per_3970x_vs_ryzen_9_3950x-100818664-orig.jpg
https://images.idgesg.net/images/ar...r_3970x_vs_core_i9_10980xe-100818663-orig.jpg
[also, vs $5000 Xeon https://images.idgesg.net/images/ar...pper_3970x_vs_xeon_w-3175x-100818662-orig.jpg]

Last edited:
Is there any confirmation that AMD will hold presentation on CES, a month from now? Maybe first public talk about Zen 3.

Back