Unreal Engine 4

You could generate detail procedurally.

Even more reason to not think they'd be rendering multiple polys per screen pixel. The win of procedural geometry and dynamic LOD systems such as tesselation is generating exactly as much detail as you need and NOTHING MORE.

Even more reason to not think they'd be rendering multiple polys per screen pixel. The win of procedural geometry and dynamic LOD systems such as tesselation is generating exactly as much detail as you need and NOTHING MORE.

We lack info and context on the provided amount of polys. The demo has these fairies or whatever they are, which emanate a huge amount of particles, do those count? There's lots of foliage, overlapping trees etc. Lots of overdraw, so knowing if the provided number is after culling or not is essential to making any claims.

Like I said, I really think the provided number is pre-culling, so it wouldn't be multiple polys drawn per pixel in that case. If you are aiming to highest detail posible, I don't think you have that much control as to control that you don't surpass 1 tri/pixel anywhere, pre-culling, especially in a scene with so much geometry overlap and overdraw.

EDIT: And for what it's worth I also personally question whether or not they would care that much about too many tris per pixel in a raytracing demo. If raytracing happens to be the bottleneck and runs asychronously to rasterization, being efficient on the fastest path would be kinda pointless for a demo intended to show how pretty it can be.

Looks like UE 4.23 will have some very interesting features.
Virtual texturing came to latest builds few days ago and it looks like it can be used to do all the fun things like runtime decal baking etc.
Refined and more in-depth version of that talk:

Nice, thanks. :)

Finally got 4.23 working on my machine. (Previously DX12 and raytracing caused crashing.)

Imported couple of 8k textures to basic scene and they came in directly as virtual textures.
I haven't found a way to display memory use yet, but will fiddle around more in future.

Raytraced reflections now have option in which you can use reflection probes instead of secondary bounces, so no more black reflections after first bounce.
Performance drop when using low resolution for raytracing is not that bad even on RTX2070 and gives nice specular occlusion etc..
As far as I know there is no SSR+RTR yet.. but I can see it to work decently in combination with very low RT resolution.. basically reflections would go more blurry when SSR ends instead of vanishing.

Unreal Engine 4.23 released.

Includes
Chaos Destruction beta
Improvements to Raytracing. (GI quality, fallback to cubemaps for raytraced reflections for last ray etc.)
Virtual Texturing Beta. (Includes realtime material combinations for RT texture, should be amazing for landscapes. (Possibly light baking... not sure if possible yet.))

They also fixed/improved the shadow map bias settings. (Something that did pop-up in their forums once in a while for very long time..)
image_290cku0.gif

They also fixed/improved the shadow map bias settings. (
Yeah, that annoying bug was always present in any UE4 game, it was epsecially noticeable on exposed character parts, like legs, necks, thighs .. etc. I wonder if that fix will find it's way to UE4 games already released!

We lack info and context on the provided amount of polys. The demo has these fairies or whatever they are, which emanate a huge amount of particles, do those count? There's lots of foliage, overlapping trees etc. Lots of overdraw, so knowing if the provided number is after culling or not is essential to making any claims.
September 5, 2019
Troll is an order of magnitude more complex than Reflections. While both pieces run at 24 fps, Troll has 62M triangles compared to Reflections’ 5M, 16 lights compared to four, and the ray-traced passes were rendered at full 1080p resolution, as opposed to Reflections, where they were rendered at half resolution and scaled up. Troll also required the ray tracing of particles, and interoperability with other fundamental components of the Unreal Engine cinematographic pipeline including Alembic geometry cache, hair, and skin. Despite all this, Troll was rendered on a single NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...acing-in-unreal-engine-part-1---the-evolution

Last edited:
Back