Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe that xboxs are silent.

There can be people with bad hearing and/or noisy rooms.

But in normal room with no air condition = most elevtronics with moving parts are audible.

I can hear my switch from the dock from 2-3m(dunno about feets, 4-6f?) away and it is quiet system, but still audible.

It all depends about the background noise, it can drown it or not.

They can be quiet, but not silent if they have moving parts

Believe all you want, but the reality is it's silent from anything more than 2 feet away in normal ambient conditions.

There's a difference between silent and inaudible. People use the term 'silent' to mean 'inaudible' (as that's the subjective property that matters to us) but silent is technically 'making no sound' whereas inaudible is 'a sound that cannot be heard'.

For everyone, as long as the noise profile of the console in not intrusive, they are happy, and whatever constitutes intrusive varies by listener and environmental circumstances. Clearly, the 'quieter' (less intrusive, so potentially more decibels volume of a different type of noise) the console, the more people and environments it'll benefit. For a powerful console design, silent isn't at all an option and so it's a case of determining the maximum common-denominator noise profile that can be tolerated.

Personally, I found PS3 pretty noisy and though one can tune out the noise when playing, I'd rather a quieter machine. I imagine in hotter climes it was pretty horrible. I remember the PCs of the 90s and early 2000s that sounded like frickin' jet engines and negatively impacted concentration in use, and I buy as quiet components as I can to keep my PC down to a subtle hum. I'd prefer a quiet hum console to a loud one as we've had before.

As a owner of an "X" it's silent for the most part. The only time you'll hear the fan rpms going higher is in RDR2 and certain areas of Gears 4.

My PS4-Pro definitely gets more whinny during most triple-A first party games. The Spider-Man "Silver Lining" DLC is quite a bitch even on the Pro. The one particular scene of you swinging after attack drones, Silver Sable in her gunship and all manners of baddies on ground, damn near chokes the system. Framerates are in the toilet during that scene and the heat exhausted from it is quite telling of how hard the Pro is being pushed. I never 100% completed that DLC because that scene framerates are so bad.

The ps4 and pro also had a high sensitivity to ambient temperature, I hope they solve this. In the summer without AC both became audible from the couch. They had a firmware update on ps4 which toned down the aggressive slope, maybe they can go in that direction even more with the ps5.

It could be midrange permance, but it's surely not gonna be a midrange clockspeed

PC 5700XT GPU:
GPU Base Clock: 1605 MHz
Game Clock: 1755 MHz
GPU Boost Clock: 1905 MHz
Compute Units: 40
Performance: 9.7TF

If the rumors from three game industry veterans are to be believe; that XB2/PS5 will have more raw teraflop performance than Stadia... then, either the consoles GPU's clocks are higher than it's PC brethren, or the next-generation consoles will have more GPU compute units (with moderate clocks) on achieving more raw performance than Stadia's 10.7TF.

Or,

The EUVL 7nm process is more mature, ready for early 2020, and Sony/MS/AMD have planned for such a node process.

Personally, I'm picturing 11.2-11.3TF systems, nothing under 11TF.

Last edited:
Compared to my PS4Pro, the PS5 could run on diesel and it'd still be quieter.

My launch PRO ran like a jet engine a while ago until I took it apart and cleaned the heatsink/fan assembly.
It was pretty much clogged so the fans ran like jet engines.

Now my AC makes more noise than my launch PS4 pro under load after I changed the thermal paste and cleaned the whole thing up.

Last edited:
I just want to leave a prediction: the people expecting a 2 GHz GPU clock are gonna be wrong, by a lot.
I agree it seems unrealistic. Somewhere around the 1600-1700 range seems more likely. Now that Navi seems to have alleviated a lot of GCN bottlenecks, going wider at lower clocks would seem to be a better idea for consoles.

Not all that important, but the first confirmation of Xbox Scarlett leveraging Ray Tracing Cores. This may give us slightly better insight into what AMD has in store here. I think the discussion of hardware supported RT was a topic, but we were largely unsure of the level of commitment to it. There is a lot about Gears 5 in the interview worth reading if your'e into how they improved over Gears 4.

A new Xbox, Scarlett, is coming in about a year. I've read that The Coalition plans to support Gears 5 for a very long time after release. I know you can't talk about unreleased hardware, but at a high level, what are your thoughts on even more increased power with the new console in terms of what it will allow you to do technically, but also creatively?

We don’t have anything to announce right now in terms of Gears with the new hardware--but I’m definitely super excited about what the new hardware could do. Having dedicated ray tracing cores is huge.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-5-dev-explains-why-they-refused-to-compromis/1100-6469734/

Interesting quote on shadows:
We abandoned baked shadows and go to a fully real-time shadowing system as we couldn’t afford to store kilometers of shadow map data on disk or in memory. Our shadows in the distance are real-time ray-traced. We focused on writing a sand and snow deformation system that did a proper displacement on the sand and snow when the player foot pressed into the ground.

Didn't realize how big shadow maps could be.

Last edited:
Having dedicated ray tracing cores is huge.

I still wonder if both consoles and PC GPUs will be using the same ray tracing acceleration.
I remember a while back some rumors were pointing to Scarlett's ray tracing hardware being closer to the CPU side, though I wonder if that even makes any sense.

Does Dedicated RT Cores mean they will have to balanced the die area between RT cores and normal compute cores? I wonder how much risk they decided to take. It needed a lot of silicon on nvidia rtx.

I was hoping AMD would find a way to unify the RT circuitry into to the CUs, without having to make special cores just for RT. I guess that wasn't possible or otherwise worse performance.

I'm not sure we should read too much into the little quote that mentions dedicated RT cores. It may just be that they are currently using RTX cards (which have "dedicated RT cores") to experiment with RT and the only thing the developer knows is that there will be some form of hardware RT in the next console. It's pretty easy to mix things up and just say that the next console has dedicated RT cores when they might have no idea and only know that it has hardware RT support.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back