Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

I just ordered it form Newegg for $30. I like getting games half off and all patched up.

I didn't finish Days Gone but I got close. Like a lot of games these days it was just a little too long for me (50+ hours) but I enjoyed every minute. I've not enjoyed an open world game as much for a long, long time!

Played it for 6 or 7 hours, waiting for it to get exciting eventually. Wasn't happening unfortunately and so I stopped.
The start is pretty slow, the story takes a while to get going - it's probably 8+ hours - you'll know it when you hit the third community.

Days Gone is a game that was desperately in need of some ruthless editing of many of its missions. I reckon a third could have been cut and it would have been a much better game for it.

The beginning does have a gentle, guided introductory area vibe to it. I will reserve judgement until I experience a horde.

It feels very derivative so far. It's pretty obvious they studied all the other popular games of this type. Certainly Horizon Zero Dawn (which wasn't exactly super innovative either). I have a feeling the main new idea here is the horde.

Probably should have just watched it on Youtube instead of buying it. ;)

Last edited:
The beginning does have a gentle, guided introductory area vibe to it. I will reserve judgement until I experience a horde.

And this is no bad thing. Too many games open then bombard the player with mechanic after mechanic that they never have some time to experiment with, so the player will quickly forget and then will struggle latter because scenarios are predicated on your understanding and using tactics rushed through in the early game.

A bunch of games I've played have been do this twice and I think I've done it right, but not really been sure and the game is then okay, you've "mastered" that now do that, now do this and I'm lost. Particularly in an open world game, I like a mission or section where I get to repeatedly re-try something where I am in control. Can X see move if I move at Y speed, can X see me if I move beyond behind X etc. Will pressing R2 not punch that guys horse.

And this is no bad thing. Too many games open then bombard the player with mechanic after mechanic that they never have some time to experiment with, so the player will quickly forget and then will struggle latter because scenarios are predicated on your understanding and using tactics rushed through in the early game.

A bunch of games I've played have been do this twice and I think I've done it right, but not really been sure and the game is then okay, you've "mastered" that now do that, now do this and I'm lost. Particularly in an open world game, I like a mission or section where I get to repeatedly re-try something where I am in control. Can X see move if I move at Y speed, can X see me if I move beyond behind X etc. Will pressing R2 not punch that guys horse.

But Days Gone doesn't have any particularly new or inventive mechanics that would befuddle anyone who played as much as a single open world game in the past decade. It's a third person shooter with driving, a litle bit of simplistic stealth and crafting. Same as every other open world game. That's not something in need of an 8-hour tutorial.

But Days Gone doesn't have any particularly new or inventive mechanics that would befuddle anyone who played as much as a single open world game in the past decade. It's a third person shooter with driving, a litle bit of simplistic stealth and crafting. Same as every other open world game. That's not something in need of an 8-hour tutorial.

It doesn't need to be new mechanics, just a chance to get used to the controls and the open world at large. How far can enemies see me, how much noise can I make, how quickly can I do X, how long dos it take it refuel, how long to fuel last. In an openworld game there is usually a fair bit to learn and get used too.

It doesn't need 8 hours, but it needs more than fifteen seconds.

It annoys so much they locked the more immersive HUDless option behind the higher DLC difficulty setting, which requires you to restart the game from scratch.

I finished it, I liked it alot. It was less about zombies/freakers and more about how humans act towards each other wehn lawlessness takes over. Good storytelling and interesting setting. I still get a high heart rate at the site of a herd and dread trying to take one down. The game is like the good parts of Far Cry 5 mixed with a bit of Last of Us and Assassin's Creed. My GOTY this year so far.

I finished it, I liked it alot. It was less about zombies/freakers and more about how humans act towards each other wehn lawlessness takes over. Good storytelling and interesting setting. I still get a high heart rate at the site of a herd and dread trying to take one down. The game is like the good parts of Far Cry 5 mixed with a bit of Last of Us and Assassin's Creed. My GOTY this year so far.

That's interesting. I listened to a podcast about what to do if there's a zombie epidemic.

In reality, they're talking about pandemics.

So they talked to some survivalist types who have stockpiled food and ammo and claim to know this "protected" or defensible place not far from St. Louis.

Then they talked to expert doctors who said that every man for himself is the surest way to die, that social order won't break down. One expert pointed to the pandemic around 1910, which killed a million a day worldwide and 50-60 million overall. At that time, people volunteered to care for the infected in places like gymnasia, with no guarantees they wouldn't become infected.

Say they discovered the source of a contagion is Germany and Venezuela. It simply wouldn't work to try to ban people from those countries from entering other countries. It would inevitably spread so the solution is to find a cure or way to stem the spread.

But I imagine the game is about killing a lot of zombies or infected?

The biology of these zombies is also nonsense. They bite people and infect them which creates the numbers, but they don't eat anything or drink. Their human biological systems would quickly fail and they'd all die out unless they eat, at which point they'll eat each other or people and not infect people en masse. Weapons would also be as effective against them as people. They may ignore pain but they'll still bleed out.

In the event of a super infectious zombie apocalypse, just sit indoors for a few months and it'll all blow over.

The biology of these zombies is also nonsense. They bite people and infect them which creates the numbers, but they don't eat anything or drink. Their human biological systems would quickly fail and they'd all die out unless they eat, at which point they'll eat each other or people and not infect people en masse. Weapons would also be as effective against them as people. They may ignore pain but they'll still bleed out.

In the event of a super infectious zombie apocalypse, just sit indoors for a few months and it'll all blow over.

Have zombies ever required sustenance in any form of media? I cant think of any at the moment.

But I imagine the game is about killing a lot of zombies or infected?

Not really, I think you fight more humans than anything. The infected are just background threat and to drive a story about desperation and humans being assholes.

Have you played the game? They do eat, the game describes how they found berries and stuff in their stomachs. They basically eat most anything they find.

The biology of these zombies is also nonsense. They bite people and infect them which creates the numbers, but they don't eat anything or drink.

This is not true. In the game the freakers eat and will go to water sources to drink. One of the main reasons the devs were resistant to the zombie label was because their infected acted like living animals and were not just walking corpses.

I wasn't talking about Days Gone zombies but the general zombies of pandemics talked about as wco81 mentioned. Even then, unless they take up farming, available food will not be enough to support zombies in any numbers and they'll still pose no problem for an organised planet full of normal people with guns.

The old style zombies of undead animated by supernatural forces at least posed a threat that can't be simply shot or starved to death. I guess attempts to be scarier and try to justify the threat with Science and infections moved all recent zombie ideas to what we have now - cities shrouded in vegetation after decades of abandonment, a few human survivors struggling to get by, and inordinate numbers of super fast zombies standing around without eating or drinking (on the whole) for years ready to chase after anyone. And not all that uncommonly for fires to still be burning here and there...

Back