What if a digital store closes?

And Impulse / GameStop.

The few games I had on Impulse I was able to get on Steam because the keys would activate there in the end. But first I had major problems even logging in to get at the keys and the customer support was basically clueless about the client.

It would be quite interesting to see what would happen if Steam died. Maybe other companies would step up and try to prove how great they are and want us as customers by providing replacements. ;).

Last edited:
If steam dies, they could release an official steam emulator (that will works offline forever).

Dunno with the legality tho.

But that's for digital stores that still sends you the game files. With Google Sedia, if they kill it, you'll probably lose the games.

The same as what already happens with their other services : Google mytracks, etc

If steam dies, they could release an official steam emulator (that will works offline forever).

Dunno with the legality tho.

But that's for digital stores that still sends you the game files. With Google Sedia, if they kill it, you'll probably lose the games.

The same as what already happens with their other services : Google mytracks, etc

Well if Steam went into administration would there be any development resources to produce such an app? Would they be allowed to for all the third party software they sell, especially when titles may be available/ sold on other platforms?

Also could you even download your software again after a hardware failure/ upgrade?

It's an interesting question, a similar position must exist if you have bought digital music and video.

Well if Steam went into administration would there be any development resources to produce such an app? Would they be allowed to for all the third party software they sell, especially when titles may be available/ sold on other platforms?

Also could you even download your software again after a hardware failure/ upgrade?

It's an interesting question, a similar position must exist if you have bought digital music and video.

I don't know they can legally make that offline patch or not. Resource-wise, they can simply repurpose the no steam / steam emulators already floating on the high seas.

As for re-download, you'll need to go to the high seas.

Would be nice if someone mod it and the unofficial re-download can be done thru the normal client itself.

Something akin to silent hills P.T. re-download on PS4.

That game was removed from PSN, but the license never got revoked. Luckily someone already mirrored the installation package. So I made a very simply proxy rules to allow people with valid license to re-download PT directly on PS4 itself, from the mirror.

Back