laptop for college

You can buy it and if it's not exactly as described in the spec, return it for free. Wouldn't even need the guarantee as it's part of Amazon's selling guarantees. I also presume there's a basic 'not falsely represented' law in US commerce so you can't advertise a dog, deliver a cat, and refuse to pay a refund. ;) In this case you are quite clearly buying a 32 GB RAM, Ryzen 7 laptop. If what's delivered isn't that, it isn't what you bought so you'd be entitled to a full are refund. And a grovelling apology!
I don't need any groveling or even an apology, so long as they either refund or make it right. I'm not one of those who insists on an apology for an honest mistake as long as it's corrected, it's just business. I tend to agree with your assessment, just wanted another opinion.

I really am considering the 4-year/$120 policy, just 'cause it's a 'covers any thing' one and again I'm pretty sure Amazon would honor it or make sure it was honored. Mads has a history of breaking laptops, and for 4 years that seems cheap.

Any opinions on the 4-year coverage they let you add-on? I'm usually so against it, but this time I'm honestly torn. :|

It's coming tomorrow sometime, I can't wait to see if it actually lives up to its specs!

(I really, really, REALLY hope it does...but I'm doubting it.)

EDITED BITS: Also, I've put 312 miles on my car since posting that. My daughter has GOT to get her driver's license! :|

She installed Firefox w/extensions, a couple of messaging apps she uses, and Minecraft since her and her friend were joking about it the other day.

She had 14 tabs open with a few apps and Minecraft running perfectly, she was pleased. She went upstairs and i haven't seen her since, but I keep hearing squeals of delight and some shocked, "WOAHS!", every now and again.

I think she's happy, I am. Still in shock and amazed, but happily so.

Yeah, thought it was too good to be true. Had Maddy go to Dell's site and run their configuration checker thingy and see what's really under the hood, guess what we found out:

upload_2019-8-31_13-39-32.png
upload_2019-8-31_13-39-57.pngupload_2019-8-31_13-40-23.png

Dell thinks it's real too. :oops:

I wrote an e-mail to the company that made it thanking them and frankly just admiring them and asking how they managed it and what else they had. If I find anything good I will be sure to let y'all know, I'm just really curious about it now. I noticed on Dell's site that the warranty ends on June 19th next year, so I'm assuming they bought it from Dell then to upgrade it. Any company that gives me this good a deal deserves a bit of looking in to, never know what else you might discover or meet along the way. :)

This thing really got my juices flowing, I am so impressed with my daughter lately! Not only has she surpassed me in maths, but now she's found a better laptop deal than I ever have! :D

I don't understand it because the device isn't listed on Dell at all. It's like it's a silent Amazon exclusive or something. Why make a budget laptop with pro level CPU and RAM and storage and then not mention it as a product you make and sell it cheap on a third party store? :unsure:

I don't understand it because the device isn't listed on Dell at all. It's like it's a silent Amazon exclusive or something. Why make a budget laptop with pro level CPU and RAM and storage and then not mention it as a product you make and sell it cheap on a third party store? :unsure:

It could be a discontinued model, you can find a fair few older model Dell, HP, Apple and Lenovo laptops on Amazon from third party sellers. The 2.2Ghz 2700U part was released in 2017 and Dell tend to update components regularly.

Gods' honest truth? I think it's because the internets and computers loves me and my family. We love them good and they love us back. :yep2:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12654/dell-launches-amd-ryzen-based-inspiron-13-7000-2in1-convertible

The discount might be because it's a phased out model from early 2018, with the Raven Ridge models having been replaced with Picasso throughout the last year or so.

Though if this 2700U has a 25W cTDP, it should still be substantially faster than a 3700U at 15W.

As for the RAM and SSD, if it's using dual SODIMM sockets and NVMe then it could be leftovers from pre-built systems at Dell's warehouses. But we're talking about RAM and SSD worth ~$250-$300 at retail, regardless. RAM and storage prices have come (down) a long way this past year.

From my time in the recycling industry, it's also possible that the 3rd party selling this used parts from salvaged Dell laptops in order to beef up discontinued Dell Laptops to make them stand out on sites like Amazon. Our recycling company in Japan had multiple clients that did just this. One of them even had an exclusive and under the table deal for used Sun Microsystem (when they weren't owned by Oracle) parts. That one had to be done under the table as it was against the licensing terms of the companies that bought them for them to be parted out in such a way. Contracts with Sun Micro required that all such machines were completely destroyed when the company that bought them at corporate negotiated rates retired them.

This was standard practice in many smaller electronic shops in Akihabara in Japan as well as in China. Since it's only the RAM and sometimes storage that gets upgraded in this way, they'll still be eligible for whatever warranty the OEM provides. So, it wouldn't be surprising if some sellers in the US (assuming they aren't overseas sellers) are doing the same thing.

Hence, you'd never find those specific configurations on the OEM websites.

Regards,
SB

when you input the serial/product number into dell warranty/support website, it should shows the original spec instead the upgraded one right?

Or Dell doesn't have

Back