The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Two episodes into the recommended-by-eloyc anthology The Terror season one and very much enjoying it. :yes: A survival-horror vibe to it thus far and a great cast. It teases at things not yet shown but implied and a really atmosphere.

Based on the true story of the failed exploration expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror of the artic in the 1840s. Real life is sometimes stranger than fiction! How did men endure such conditions and unknowns almost two hundred years ago, it's mind boggling really. :yep2:

Two episodes into the recommended-by-eloyc anthology The Terror season one and very much enjoying it. :yes: A survival-horror vibe to it thus far and a great cast. It teases at things not yet shown but implied and a really atmosphere.

Based on the true story of the failed exploration expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror of the artic in the 1840s. Real life is sometimes stranger than fiction! How did men endure such conditions and unknowns almost two hundred years ago, it's mind boggling really. :yep2:
And I just watched the last episode. Boy, that was hars... the whole show, I mean, not just this last episode. I had to look away from the TV quite a few times. Very well done show, indeed, with great actors.

I hope you enjoy it as well. ^_^

Another Life. I just watched the third episode. At this point of the show, things are not better, nor worse. I had a laugh at this cringy scene where they had to let the ship be bombarded with gamma rays to both kill an alien virus in their bodies and sterilise the ship. The unfolding of the scene was... terrible. I didn't laugh at the actors performance, but the whole thing was comical. I couldn't help but imagine the director saying just 10 seconds before the shot "ok, guys, now we will light up some annoyingly potent fluorescent lamps back there and you have to simulate that you're being bombarded by some space shit that will make you feel oozy woozy and that maybe you ate too much Indian food last night".

I also started watching the second season of The Terror, which is called The Terror: Infamy.

Lost, season 5. Bffffff....... booooring (and confusing, of course). I can't help but start using my phone and doing other stuff while I watch. Some episodes may have interesting moments and the actors' performances can be really good, as well, but the script and the plot are absurd at this point. It just got to a point where I don't care why all have to return to the island, because it doesn't make sense. Also, quite fed up of those "you have to trust me" and "you have to believe" and "leaps of faith".

Thank goodness I'm enjoying The Terror: Infamy, Another Life (yeah, despite the flaws) and the last season of The Big Bang Theory.

Netflix's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Great puppetry with plenty of lore building that expands on the world of the original movie.

A bit more on TDC:AoR ...

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is a prequel series to the 1992 movie. You don't need to have seen the movie to get into the new series. However, I suggest (re)watching the movie before going into the series. It allows you to appreciate the advances in image quality and puppetry as well as how perfectly the series recaptures the original world. Story wise, it reminds you of the final outcome and lets you appreciate the struggles the characters in the series are going through.

A bit more on TDC:AoR ...

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is a prequel series to the 1992 movie. You don't need to have seen the movie to get into the new series. However, I suggest (re)watching the movie before going into the series. It allows you to appreciate the advances in image quality and puppetry as well as how perfectly the series recaptures the original world. Story wise, it reminds you of the final outcome and lets you appreciate the struggles the characters in the series are going through.

I'm half-way through Amazon Prime's superbly dark eight-episode season one of Carnival Row, which I've seen compared to Game of Thrones but is nothing like it thematically but certainly rivals, if not exceeds it, in terms of production quality.

A second season has already been green-lit. Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne star, as does Jared Harris because he is in everything I've watched recently - Chernobyl, The Terror and now this! :runaway:

Following The Boys, Amazon Prime are hitting it out of the park lately. :yes:

Thanks to the various people that mentioned "the rook", great drama /thriller story set in London/UK, framed around but not dominated by special ability folks. It's very well written IMO, with plenty of twists and a slow reveal of the story line.

I hope it is taken up for another series as I'm approaching the end of the first series and need more.

I’m really enjoying Glee right now and look forward to watching working moms with my gf ...

I felt like I needed a change of pace, something a bit less serious and less demanding of my attention so I opted to binge through both seasons of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (2016). It was nicely filmed and produced with plenty of laughs, as expected from something using Douglas Adams's works. It's a bit of a shame they didn't opt for a third or forth season, but can't realistically expect that sort of commitment from American TV Execs wanting to be British.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't opt for a third or forth season, but can't realistically expect that sort of commitment from American TV Execs wanting to be British.
We barely get past a 2nd season for hardly any TV shows anymore.

Hmm, Dark Crystal.
Its kinda cool seeing more of that world.
But its also kinda breaking the spell.

Feels like its been written by game writers with every new character giving a lengthy exposition on part of the story & the story not really fitting with the existing canon.
Disagree that they really nailed the feel of the original: its kinda plasticy, lacking some detail, not quite moving right, clean & colour-saturated version.
Again kinda like a game version.
Its game canon IMO.

Edit: 3/4 of the way through first episode of The Boys and its a lot of fun :D

Last edited:
@hoom how recently have you watched the original movie? If you haven't watched it in the past month I suggest you watch it again. The movie has absolutely worse movement for the Gelflings making them feel like moving poster-boards instead of puppets. The skeksis look amazing in both.

Watched the first part of the movie straight after 1st episode to compare origin stories, then full thing after.

Example of the not quite moving right is the end of the Skeksis snout: its beak, they're rigid in the original & have shiny slightly translucent finish, a matte finish & flexy like rubber in this series.
Even the metal armor bits just look like painted plastic rather than metal.

Back