What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't you just get out of the dungeon? You can either bribe the jailer, use a skeleton key if you had one on you, or just serve your time (one full day-night cycle). Not exactly the end of the world.
I didn't like the fact that I was put there because of a stupid reason, so bribing a jailer to get out when I didn't do anything worthy of putting me there in the first place didn't appeal to me either. I didn't know that I had to serve one full day, either. But yes, it was not the end of the world. However, I made the mistake of reloading in the last checkpoint, and then I lost it all. There are things that you just don't know or aren't explained in a very effective way (the screwy save system, how can you get in and out of jail, etc.), at least, and that's the reason why it happened like that, to me.

At any rate, I still think that not being able to use all the skills you know at any time doesn't make any sense.

-----------

Now I'm playing L.A. Noire. I spent quite a few minutes chilling out to the title screen the first time I booted it. :mrgreen: I like the theme and the setting, and the gameplay is fun. The facial motion capture is top notch... the body motion not so much, as you can see some characters with their arms way too open (like they're holding an invisible ball under their armpits). Also, something looks odd in the character's faces, and I'm not talking about the uncanny valley: the faces look kind of smudged. Everything looks "painted" and way too orange and high contrast. Faces are constantly lit by a secondary light that gives an unnatural, weird glow to them.

Well, I got thrown in jail in Skyrim because I accidentally hit a guard while fighting a dragon. In the end it's still a game with rules, and it cannot really tell whether you broke them on purpose or accidentally.

I also wished there was a way to use more skills. Not exactly all of them (it's still an action game which is being controlled with a very finite amount of buttons), but a couple more would've been nice.

God of War is really awesome, the story is great, and there is plenty of potential stories left for several sequels. God of War 2 is going to be equally awesome !

I must say the combat in this game rarely gets boring. Even grinding the random world for the Platinum, combat is fun and varied. It's like a mix of old God of War and Bloodborne combat. And some of those Valkyries are tough to beat, much harder than the final boss of the main story which was probably for me the most disappointing moment of the game. Too easy and too much QTEs. Those good old God of War QTEs, back just for the final fight...Ugh. Not a great idea even if the fight was still epic.

Some of those ravens are really well hidden. I think that's going to be the hardest thing to do to unlock the last trophy.

For me God of War is all about Kratos and Atreus story with a background of (interesting) North mythology stories.

About the ending:
I really liked the second ending.

Last edited:
The fact that the Valkyrie fights are entirely optional even though they represent the only instance where the combat system really shines was quite a bummer imo. Not saying they should've put the hardest one in there (a brutal fight even on normal difficulty), but one of the earlier ones would have been cool.

The boilerplate leveling system can ef right off though. Getting near one-shotted by a regular enemy because he had a high number floating above the life bar feels so at odds with the God of War concept.

Just finished the Fear series
Call of Duty : World at War + World War 2
Near the end of Ghost Recon Future Solder
And No Mans Sky since it's just had a big update

Destiny 2 since it's free and have cross save.

Turns out my PS4 PRO looks smoother than Radeon 580. Buuuut on PC it's 60 fps kyamyakyakya

Astral Chain on NSW. Man, there are some REALLY good games coming out on the Switch now that aren't made by Nintendo. 2 of them in as many months?

This is made by the people that made Nier: Automata, I think. It's very VERY Anime, but it's very well done. Combat feels good, story is interesting. Character progression is nice and relatively expansive.

I only tried it because a friend of mine was absolutely raving about it. Also, I need to buy that Nintendo Pro controller for NSW now. Tried it while trying this game on his Switch. It actually feels pretty good in the hand, although I don't like the D-pad on it. But gah, it's over 60 USD?

ARGH!!! I don't have enough time!!! And Gears 5 is coming out on the 9th? AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!! And I'm still not finished with my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses! AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

I know, first world problems right? I wish I was still a kid with tons of free time. :p

Gah, I thought my Steam library was bad with all the games I need to play there. Looks like the good games are going to start piling up on the Switch also. And now, Game Pass exists? Holy cow, where am I ever going to find the time?

Regards,
SB

Astral Chain on NSW. Man, there are some REALLY good games coming out on the Switch now that aren't made by Nintendo. 2 of them in as many months?

This is made by the people that made Nier: Automata, I think. It's very VERY Anime, but it's very well done. Combat feels good, story is interesting. Character progression is nice and relatively expansive.

I only tried it because a friend of mine was absolutely raving about it. Also, I need to buy that Nintendo Pro controller for NSW now. Tried it while trying this game on his Switch. It actually feels pretty good in the hand, although I don't like the D-pad on it. But gah, it's over 60 USD?

ARGH!!! I don't have enough time!!! And Gears 5 is coming out on the 9th? AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!! And I'm still not finished with my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses! AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

I know, first world problems right? I wish I was still a kid with tons of free time. :p

Gah, I thought my Steam library was bad with all the games I need to play there. Looks like the good games are going to start piling up on the Switch also. And now, Game Pass exists? Holy cow, where am I ever going to find the time?

Regards,
SB

Yep! Astral chain is aaesome! Really feels like playing an anime.

BTW you can play using PS4 or Xbox controller. You just need the USB adapter.

8bitdo is well known, and there are also many cheap Chinese ones with basically the same features (minus the fw updates).

Yep! Astral chain is aaesome! Really feels like playing an anime.

BTW you can play using PS4 or Xbox controller. You just need the USB adapter.

8bitdo is well known, and there are also many cheap Chinese ones with basically the same features (minus the fw updates).

Oh really? I'll have to look into that. If I can use my Elite controller with the NSW that would be fantastic.

Does the USB adapters allow them to be used wirelessly?

Although button prompts might mess me up. I still sometimes have to look at the NSW controller to make sure I'm hitting the right button. I'm so used to the ABXY locations on the Xbox controllers that the ABXY locations on the NSW mess me up sometimes.

Regards,
SB

Also playing Astral Chain. It's wonderful. Probably one of the most pleasant looking titles on the system too. (I still think Breath of the Wild has it ever so slightly beat. What Nintendo has pulled off here is a small miracle really)

Also thanks to John for another excellent DF analysis. Him and Alex really administered a healthy dose of adrenalin to the channel.

Last edited:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered on PS4, which I bought off Amazon for £12. I love the campaign and hope they remaster MW2 and MW3.

I just platinumed God of War, the road to the platinum was too short. I really enjoyed the game and I think they barely scratched the surface of what could be done in North mythology and with the story of Kratos and his son. I really can't wait for the sequel.

Now I am back to Dreams on another project.

I just platinumed God of War, the road to the platinum was too short. I really enjoyed the game and I think they barely scratched the surface of what could be done in North mythology and with the story of Kratos and his son. I really can't wait for the sequel.

Now I am back to Dreams on another project.

I hope next time Atreus falls off the map, or simply gets eaten by Jörmungandr. Never to be heard from again. :yep2::runaway:

I hope next time Atreus falls off the map, or simply gets eaten by Jörmungandr. Never to be heard from again. :yep2::runaway:
Based on what we know Atreus could get much more interesting in the following games...

His mother almost named him Loki

I'm guessing at some point they are going to kill off Kratos and Atreus will take over the franchise. Killing off Kratos will be what propels Atreus to be fueled by rage and start taking down other gods. Perhaps they'll kill off Atreus' wife (assuming he'll get a wife at some point when he's older) to further fuel the rage.

Regards,
SB

I'm guessing at some point they are going to kill off Kratos and Atreus will take over the franchise. Killing off Kratos will be what propels Atreus to be fueled by rage and start taking down other gods. Perhaps they'll kill off Atreus' wife (assuming he'll get a wife at some point when he's older) to further fuel the rage.

Regards,
SB

Killing Kratos off, not going to happen. The God of War franchise lives and dies with him.

Atreus having a spinoff, could be a possibility. Maybe clashing with Kratos at some point. Dad vs. son (à la Kratos vs. Zeus)

Killing Kratos off, not going to happen. The God of War franchise lives and dies with him.

Not so long ago I would have said the same about Uncharted and Nathan Drake but here we are. But I'm not seeing a good reason to kill Kratos. Just doing it for change is lazy and Santa Monica aren't lazy. Any change could spell some separation from traditional God of War, something seismic like Assassin's Creed becoming a RPG.

God of War has just been revitalised and the PS4 was hugely popular, this is not the time to shake it up again.

Not so long ago I would have said the same about Uncharted and Nathan Drake but here we are. But I'm not seeing a good reason to kill Kratos. Just doing it for change is lazy and Santa Monica aren't lazy. Any change could spell some separation from traditional God of War, something seismic like Assassin's Creed becoming a RPG.

God of War has just been revitalised and the PS4 was hugely popular, this is not the time to shake it up again.

The way I see it, the shakeup that was planned was having Atreus become the face of the new God of War. I viewed GoW (2018) as the first of the transition series. Otherwise I see no reason why Atreus was introduced to the series. Perhaps they don't kill him off, perhaps they just have him sort of retire ala Marcus Fenix with the Gears series.

They've, IMO, successfully transitioned from Marcus being the lead character to him being a background character after introducing his children. I believe they likely originally planned to kill him off, but due to how popular he is with the fans, they kept him around as important background filler.

Or maybe they do a Batman and Robin, except with Kratos and Atreus. They've gone to a lot of work to establish a base from which to push Atreus.

Regards,
SB

Microtown (Windows, macOS, SteamOS) which has just launched in Steam Early Access at an appealingly low price - £5.79 in the UK.

If you liked the early Settlers games then you should definitely take a look. :yes: It doesn't look like the Settlers, but it sure as hell feels like the Settlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back