Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this is pretty disappointing.
Although they say still worth playing, but some framerate dips are huge and continuous on many of the systems.

If the game wasn't interesting to them, I think they would've said its pretty unplayable for most of the systems.

How's the performance on the OneX? Does it manage 1080p above 30fps? I hadn't looked at any numbers but to me its sounding like ARK level of horrible performance based on people's reactions.

How's the performance on the OneX? Does it manage 1080p above 30fps? I hadn't looked at any numbers but to me its sounding like ARK level of horrible performance based on people's reactions.

The Xbox One X is 1440p base resolution + reconstruction and the most stable framerate. PS4 Pro is 1080p base resolution +reconstruction and more slowdown but a correct version. Xbox One S and Xbox One are bad at 720p reconstruction and huge slowdown sometimes 15 fps but better than PS4 at 900p base resolution and slowdown to 10 to 11 fps sometimes...

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the game on PC immensely, but that console release is an embarrassment. Really should not have released in that state.

I suppose Guerrilla Games helped them for the PS4 version but Control has a tiny budget a PS3/360 AAA budget but a today AA budget

Screenshot_2019-08-27_at_15.04.25.png

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...dget-for-remedys-control-between-20m-and-30m/

Edit: in DF video going out of the menu create some big slowdown on all consoles they probably have some streaming and I/O issue too.

Is that a salt rock

;)

I keed.

I have a PS4 Pro...

But I will probably not play many third party title until next generation console, same for Cyberpunk 2077. I wait a PS5 version... The console begin to suffer and midgen are ok but base console begins to have serious trouble.

My last game will be first party title and maybe one or two third party title with good performance...

CPU problem? Because it runs better on x1 than PS4
This would be my guess.
Perhaps having a lot of active physics objects in PhysX is part of the problem, or lot of AI, or refreshing GI/reflections etc.

Game seems to run very nicely when outside of big fights.

I have a PS4 Pro...

But I will probably not play many third party title until next generation console, same for Cyberpunk 2077. I wait a PS5 version... The console begin to suffer and midgen are ok but base console begins to have serious trouble.

My last game will be first party title and maybe one or two third party title with good performance...

After I replace the internal HDD to sshd, my PS4 PRO runs games better.

No more random hitching :D

The whole PS OS still as slow as windows Vista tho (when playing heavy games, games that make the fan sounds like hairdryer).

Taking a video? Hahahaha the share menu will come out like 5 secs later.

Have multiple downloads and backdround apps while playing a game that's loading? HAHAHA don't you dare going back to desktop and open the library

And many more....

Edit: overclocked switch is a bliss to use.

I wonder, how well control run on PS4 PRO with a wee bit of overclocked?

Does the home brew scenes even have OC app?

This would be my guess.
Perhaps having a lot of active physics objects in PhysX is part of the problem, or lot of AI, or refreshing GI/reflections etc.

Game seems to run very nicely when outside of big fights.

That is certainly one thing that could contribute to it being somewhat CPU limited. From what I've seen Control has a LOT of physics based debris with much of the environment being destructible to some degree and one of the main powers is physics based. Even just using the Dash power will throw up physics based debris.

That CPU boost in the next gen consoles is going to be a welcome relief to developers to allow for more consistent performance.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back