Control (Remedy, 2019)

Scott_Arm

Legend
Holy crap this game destroys my pc.

GTX 1060 6GB with a conservative overclock. I'm playing at a render resolution of 1408x792 (1080p output), with global reflections on med, volumetric light on med, lod detail on medium, msaa off, textures medium (couldn't notice a diff to high at this res). Everything else is set high. I've already hit an area where I can barely maintain 60fps. Using the new nvidia freestyle sharpening as well.

Game looks very nice, with the except of the global reflections setting which can look really messed up at times. I still think it's better to have it on, because in certain areas it looks so good. The problem is sometimes you'll look at a wall and it just has this strange pixelated look that isn't nice. But honestly, the level designs, the artwork and the lighting and shadows in general look really insanely good. The prettiest game I've played, but I wish I had a better gpu. The RTX vids and screens look incredible. It clears up all of the issues I have with reflections, but also adds a lot of detail that the non-rtx can't approach.

This is one of the few games where I'm actually willing to sacrifice fps for visuals, but I refuse to go below 60 like some kind of gaming peasant. I'd say you can sacrifice volumetric to medium and global reflections to medium without noticing too much difference, but don't lower anything else, or turn anything else off. SSR on medium looks pretty trash. Global reflections off looks clean, but really takes away from a lot of the best looking areas

Nvidia has a performance guide, but it's written for a beast PC, so mileage may vary. Has nice comparison images though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...performance-guide/#control-global-reflections

I never heard of it before, but I've been enjoying it the last few hours. Runs well for me on medium/high with some tweaking on a Ry5 1600/16GB/8GB RX580 at 1920x1080.

I'm glad this is on the Epic store so that I don't have even the slightest temptation to buy it. Checked it out over at a friend's place.

The game looks gorgeous, when you aren't moving. But once you start moving the camera around, the motion blur is horribly distracting and disconcerting. And to top it off there's no in game way to disable motion blur.

However, you can download a 3rd party utility to disable it. Unfortunately at 60 FPS, the reconstruction artifacts are too distracting to make the visuals look good in motion. Makes it seem stuttery. Friend doesn't have a 120+ Hz monitor so couldn't try to see if the situation improves at higher framerates, but I imagine it would.

So, the options (for me) would be disconcerting motion blur or stuttery without motion blur.

Shame, for me, as from what I've seen the storytelling is excellent and the gameplay is solid. And when not moving the graphics are gorgeous.

So, thank you Epic for making this exclusive so that I don't want to buy it.

When it finally escapes from Epic's control, I'll likely have a setup capable of 120 Hz rendering and I'll buy it then.

Regards,
SB

@Silent_Buddha

I'm running in the 70-85 range typically, and I haven't noticed any particularly strong motion blur.

I'm one of those people that's very sensitive to artificial motion blur in games. One of the reasons that PC gaming is more attractive than console gaming for me as in the vast majority of games that implement motion blur, you can turn it off. Same goes for DoF, which kudos to Remedy doesn't appear to be a thing in Control, at least from the little I saw of it.

Just remembered one thing. At the start of the game, there's this little side room you can go into where some monitors have some text in red. I remember that looking REALLY bad with motion blur on with the text appearing to shift with even very slow movements.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The motion blur is annoying, I wish I could disable it.

EDITED BITS: Some say that adding " -noblur" to the shortcut, but it doesn't disable all blur. I haven't had a chance to finish the Reddit thread on it yet, gotta run the daughter. <sigh>

Could y'all have it figured out in a couple of hours? I'll be back and have a big chunk of gaming time and intend to enjoy it! ;)

Go here.

https://www.thenerdmag.com/how-to-disable-motion-blur-in-control-on-pc/

Regards,
SB

Simply unbelievable that one can't totally disable motion blur from the menu. I remember at least ABZĂ› being another game that had such a situation.

Motion blur is amongst the many post-process effects I always turn off when starting to play a new game. Either via menu or configuration file.

Simply unbelievable that one can't totally disable motion blur from the menu. I remember at least ABZĂ› being another game that had such a situation.

Motion blur is amongst the many post-process effects I always turn off when starting to play a new game. Either via menu or configuration file.
Me too, with "lens flare" and "depth of field" getting nailed a lot too. (I kill "bloom" with fire, I don't just turn it off. ;) )

It might not look "as realistic", but it looks a lot better to me. I like seeing the pretty backgrounds instead of them all blurring up or getting washed out in light.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The combat actually feels pretty good. It's a return to forms for Remedy in that regard. The art design is the top of their game. I wish it didn't smash my pc so hard, so I could clean up the image quality a bit y raising the resolution. Still find the game pretty stunning. Division 2 looks pretty good, and has some really nice lighting, but I 'd probably put this game at the the top of the heap for games I've played. Like any remedy game, I spend a lot of time searching for tvs and radios.

I turned MSAA down from 4x to 2x and increased the res to the one between 1920x1080 and 4K with my 580 doing that scaley-downey thing to 1920x1080 and it looks and runs better for me. Weird.

I'm still getting used to my new set up. I know the RX 580 ain't the greatest, but it is for me right now and I got the 8GB one for a song and it's neat being able to tweak games again! :D

Anyone seen any good tweak guides not just for nVidia cards? I'd be interested. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, very enjoyable!

I turned MSAA down from 4x to 2x and increased the res to the one between 1920x1080 and 4K with my 580 doing that scaley-downey thing to 1920x1080 and it looks and runs better for me. Weird.

I'm still getting used to my new set up. I know the RX 580 ain't the greatest, but it is for me right now and I got the 8GB one for a song and it's neat being able to tweak games again! :D

Anyone seen any good tweak guides not just for nVidia cards? I'd be interested. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, very enjoyable!

I'd imagine the performance impacts of the settings are relatively similar on AMD. Volumetric lighting, MSAA, SSR and global reflections are going to be the biggest performance hits with everything else having a much smaller impact.

You can probably get away with volumetric on low. I haven't done any big comparisons to medium yet. Medium doesn't seem to much different from high. I would not turn off global reflections. Makes a massive difference in the appearance of the game. Same with SSR. I wouldn't go any lower than medium. MSAA, honestly I find it hard to spot for the performance impact it has on lower end cards. The game is fairly noisy looking anyway.

Can you give us a quick tutorial tnx...

Sure! Download the table I linked, or actually the most up to date one in that thread since it's been improving, and save it where you'll remember it. Then download cheat engine from their site, newest version is 7. Install cheat engine, no need to start it up yet. Fire up the game and let it start, continue your game. Get to the point where you're actually playing the game and hit escape to pause it on a menu and then jump to your desktop. Fire up cheat engine.

upload_2019-8-30_14-22-56.png

We're gonna be playing with those three buttons on the upper left:
upload_2019-8-30_14-23-43.png

Hit the first one and you're going to get a dialogue box where we're going to pick the game. When you first open it'll be on the "applications" tab, go to the "processes" one please:

upload_2019-8-30_14-32-20.png

Look for "Control_DX11.exe" and highlight it, then hit the open button.

Nothing happens, I know. This is where it gets moar funs....

Now we're going to go to the second button that's a folder and click on it, and it's going to ask us what table to open:

upload_2019-8-30_14-29-23.png

Yeah, three version of the table since I posted that.

A window is going to come up that says, (hold on...gotta bloody fire up Control for this...),

upload_2019-8-30_14-32-56.png
Just hit ok, don't worry about it right now. If you want to understand it go back and do the cheat engine tutorial, it's VERY good!

Anyways, after you hit the ok on that box and it disappears you get this:

upload_2019-8-30_14-34-1.png

Yup, you guessed it. Go ahead and check the box next to "enable" down below and watch the magics!

upload_2019-8-30_14-35-52.png

To enable an option, check it. When you check a box more boxes might come up under it so you can further refine your choice.

upload_2019-8-30_14-37-8.png

Above I've enabled "undead", which means the player doesn't die. The float variable is the percentage of health you won't go below, in my case I won't go below 50% damage so the damaged view never hampers me. Also notice the damage multiplier? 2 is good enough for most, but I prefer a bit more "oomph!". So we're going to just double-click on the green "2" to the right of Float under "x?" and fix it up:

(continued in next post since I reached the image limit)

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-30_14-26-24.png
    upload_2019-8-30_14-26-24.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2019-8-30_14-35-12.png
    upload_2019-8-30_14-35-12.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 3
Back