Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that glowy stuff? No fear! It's also a dust trap with all those corners and crevices. I agree a good cool, quiet design is desirable, but it'd have to be pretty far removed from the SDK and that artist mockup to be a functional CE device.
That blue glow through the vent is like a PC case, subtle like a ton of bricks. I don't see sony doing this but they might add a line for accent somewhere.

If each vent have a significant reason for being shaped that way, they would design the case around that, whatever it looks.

while the sketch is maybe not that clear, i actually had fans the size similar of those on desktop GPUs in mind. Those should get the Job done with some efficiency?!

Where would a large fan fit in this design?

Eight at the back, blowing air forward or flat on the bottom blowing up. Neither are close to optimal. Not all cooling system designs are intended to pull cold air in (because the device has no control over the ambient air temperature around the intakes), but pushing warm air out is important.

This design is mind-boggling. It's both stupid and ugly.

hm we know the 14cm of the Disk Insert Slit, so we can assume that the Consoles is something like 14cm high.. There should be space for a 85mm Fan on the sides .. also could Sony not just do something custom? Something more tailored to their needs? Because if the 2000Ghz Oberon Leak was legit , there will be needs..

f15876-1566694422.jpg

This design is mind-boggling. It's both stupid and ugly.
Since nobody understood the theory of operation so far, I can't tell whether it's stupid or genius yet.

ghostbusters said:
Egon Spengler: The structure of this roof cap is exactly like the kind of telemetry tracker that NASA uses to identify dead pulsars in deep space.
Ray Stantz: Cold-riveted girders...with cores of pure selenium.
Peter Venkman: Everybody getting this so far? So what? I guess they just don't make them like they used to, huh?
Ray Stantz: No! Nobody ever made them like this! I mean, the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

If this box exists as a devkit, maybe they used two tangential fans/crossflow blowers, one on each side. They are not very efficient, but provide constant airflow. Maybe possible with a clever design?. Many small fans as others have said make a lot of high pitched noise to move enough air.

If this box exists as a devkit, maybe they used two tangential fans/crossflow blowers, one on each side. They are not very efficient, but provide constant airflow. Maybe possible with a clever design?. Many small fans as others have said make a lot of high pitched noise to move enough air.
It could be as straightforward as 1 part of the V is for PSU, the other part for the mainboard. A clever design is what they have today in which 1 fan is responsible for cooling both.

I can see Sony using this for a dev kit but a consumer console?

I can see Sony doing this on a dev kit for novelty and overclocking the hell out of the kit.

But a consumer console needing this much cooling that it literally takes up half of the console seems a bit much. This shit looks like it could cool an array of apus.

I can see Sony doing this on a dev kit for novelty and overclocking the hell out of the kit.

But a consumer console needing this much cooling that it literally takes up half of the console seems a bit much. This shit looks like it could cool an array of apus.
Without knowing how large the device is... I'm not necessarily sure that would be true.
If this device is 3/4 the size of the PS4 Slim, perhaps this design wouldn't look so odd - with the hard drive being removed, there's a lot more space to be saved.

My thoughts as well.

A discrete GPU/CPU design perhaps? Or, an APU and Cell reloaded.

All that glowy stuff? No fear! It's also a dust trap with all those corners and crevices. I agree a good cool, quiet design is desirable, but it'd have to be pretty far removed from the SDK and that artist mockup to be a functional CE device.

No kidding. Especially when you know people who are actually careless enough to allow their cats to sit and sleep on top of their consoles and electronic components.

This could be a standard PC? And the top V would allow a pair of full length pcie on risers at an angle. (like one for the PC, the other being a PS5 SoC on a card)

This thing is kind of big, with the ODD slot as a reference, it's at least 400mm wide. There is space in the V for two full length gpus. And the openings would be necessary for good airflow of any implementation on the cards, 2 or 3 flat fans or a blower.

It could be as straightforward as 1 part of the V is for PSU, the other part for the mainboard. A clever design is what they have today in which 1 fan is responsible for cooling both.
Yeah maybe, but I have problem to see how they could implement one big fan with that deep V design. The air as I see it must come in at the sidewalls of the V and out on each side and back. If you mount one big fan under the v, the bottom of the v will cover much of the fan's airflow. The console seems to low for having big fans vertically. I just try to think (I am an engineer) how it could work, but then again maybe I am wasting my time on a non existent box...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back