Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

Yeah it kinda went overboard. I loved the concept of language, but parasites that can be genetically modified at will to give all kinds of super powers, parasites that can understand precisely languages and kill the host if spoken, or how the dead are re-animated in fire by psychic powers because they "sensed" someone's presence was too far fetched even for an MGS game.
Also all these plus the new Metal Gear were far more advanced technologies than anything that appeared in the games that took place in the future.

Nah, those futuristic "codec" interactive map etc probably are just "hallucinations" :p

In reality "big boss" probably were reading normal paper map but his mind is playing tricks

Yeah it kinda went overboard. I loved the concept of language, but parasites that can be genetically modified at will to give all kinds of super powers, parasites that can understand precisely languages and kill the host if spoken, or how the dead are re-animated in fire by psychic powers because they "sensed" someone's presence was too far fetched even for an MGS game.
Also all these plus the new Metal Gear were far more advanced technologies than anything that appeared in the games that took place in the future.

I am not fully decided on what to think about those absurdities myself. The MGS series is unquestionably filled with completely inplausible pseudo-sci-fi such as the ones you mention, but not being realistic is not intrinsically a problem.

Surrealism is a valid choice of style. Sure, mixing surrealism with hi-tech military fiction is a rare thematic choice. War and politics usually are associated with a down to earth and scientific/historical view of the world. While fantasy and the more "magical" fiction usually threads on topics of more personal human experiance such as psychology, emotions and interpesonal relationships.

What kojima tries to do though, is use a mix of militaristic light sci-fi, with anime-like sci-fantasy to delve into larger overarching political philosophy. It is a very unusual mix, but that does not mean it has to be bad. The question is, does he solve the incongruencies that this weird combination leads to. My opinion is: not entirely.

I really don't understand why he feels the need to over-explain the logistics of every single device and technology of his universe if it is such a balls to the wall bizarro land universe with human vampires and floating fortune teller goths. Am I supposed to suspend my disbelief or not? Because I try to, but then kojima seems to WANT me to scrutinize the complete absurdity of the ellements of the world he creates by bothering to explain why those things are possible. He creates a universe that requires one to lower their pedanticness, but then choses to be pedantic itself and invites you to partake on it. Why? What for?

As if any half brained person reading a couple books about military tech or whatever can't hand wave at genetic mutation this and nano particles that and come up with a plausible enough explanation for anything imaginable as long as you accept a sprinkle of technical lingo as enough evidence for feasibility. There is nothing intelligent about it, its just tedious.

The political philosophy he brings about is deeper that what you see in most games, and I wouldn't complain if he didn't rub it in our face and spelled his moral lesson out multiple times over in every game. They are not completely original or sophiaticated ideas, and they wouldn't have to be, if the delivery was more subtle and humble, but the guy overdoes way too much in every game.

The aesthetics are very striking, but verge on camp, and pop-culture parody.

The gameplay is very fowardlooking in many ways, but it also always has it's share of oversights and clunk.

So that's why it's so easy to hate on his creations. There is a lot to love in them. But it seems for every brilliant idea they carry, the game purposefully works out ways to undermine it. It's like kojima wants to shit on his own work for some reason.

Last edited:
I....<Snip>

i think im too accustomed with twitter, and SMS... long texts without paragraph spacing like that makes me nauseous :(

btw rubbing things straight to player/viewer face is pretty popular and successful way in telling deep story even in movies

Some of the game mechanics do put me off such as peeing, rocking the baby, taking a nap etc. I honestly don't have patience for those kind of grind in an open world game, have to admit my interest for this game has slightly fallen as a result. I'm still fascinated by the world design, characters, weird enemies and the story but I am having a hard time picturing together a well paced game that doesn't bore me too fast. Definitely need to see that TGS gameplay deep dive to make up my mind tho.

i think im too accustomed with twitter, and SMS... long texts without paragraph spacing like that makes me nauseous :(

btw rubbing things straight to player/viewer face is pretty popular and successful way in telling deep story even in movies

I'm that same, literally nauseous! I have to stop reading, else I start to feel really bad. Glad I'm not the only one.

This game is what I imagine you end up with when having the directors of Twin Peaks and Legion produce a game, but only after they drop even more acid.

Eh? It releases in 2 months? Weeeh?

Hmm... Hopefully they'll release a surprise demo for DS

I really don't know the story, the gameplay.. Noway I'm ore ordering it

The first part of the gameplay is here! All 50min of them. The environment rendering is quite breathtaking, so much detail in the terrain, landscape and the lighting is borderline photorealistic. The mini boss fight is incredible too graphically, love the fluid sim and the morphing. Didn't catch too much detail of the gameplay mechanics tho since it's all in Japanese but it looked engaging aside from some time wasters like bathing and nail pulling. Can't imagine how insane it would look in proper 4k HDR.
Also a briefing trailer showing amazing acting and camera work.

I'm staying away from any gameplay videos and trailers until launch. This seems like the kind of game to appreciate discovering it progressively during the first act.

Game isn't it for me. The graphics look very nice, and the terrain is very believable. The game play loop does not look interesting at all. The boss fight was disappointing mechanically, though that area with all of the buildings and vehicles bobbing up and down in the water looked pretty unique.

I get the vibe Bridges will turn out like a totalitarian neo-con globalist organisation in the end, and president lady was Hillary all along.

i don't know
it looks good, easily on par with the best games out there, but the gameplay felt not that inspired, there was a sense of fear in the trailers, when the BT where around, there it looked just like MGS guards, that you can stomp with some "gun", and the wolrd feels quite empty, certainly for story purposes, but still.

Last edited:
This looks a lot more fun and interesting than something like Uncharted 4 gameplay to me. Glad Kojima did that tgs demo.

Kojima delivered big time. He promoted the game well for the long time [even his social posts were heavily scrutinized], and now he showcased that game offers many gameplay elements [some of them quite unique] inside a very beautiful game. For example, that weight balancing system looks like it will bring a nice puzzle element in traversing environment.

For the sequel [and for Horizon sequel], I hope that animation system will be tweaked. Main character is sometimes magically pulled up&down when walking across uneven terrain. This is true also for jumping, riding vehicles, and was especially apparent during that bossfight with crazy terrain and lots of jumping.

Witcher 3 had the same issue. In the end, it's a little thing. The game looks gorgeous and I cant wait to get it.

Back