Sony acquires Insomniac Games [2019]

Obviously it difficult to overlook the Bungie-shaped elephant in the room, .

I think history shows Bungie issues are all it's own making considering they made the same exact major ClusterF again with Destiny and having to leave Activision.

Why I think Remedy is a better fit for Sony is they back single player games with no multi what so ever. Microsoft or other publishers not so much.

Isn't that what MS is wanting to change with their acquisitions though? Those single player titles have done very well for Sony both in revenue and in giving the overall platform value, and I think MS wants to emulate that with epic single player experiences unique to Xbox.

Yeah, MS wants to do that, for now. Sony has already been doing it succesfuly for 2 gens, says they want to continue, and has a much more tried and proven knowhow and infrastructure to make it happen.

Isn't that what MS is wanting to change with their acquisitions though? Those single player titles have done very well for Sony both in revenue and in giving the overall platform value, and I think MS wants to emulate that with epic single player experiences unique to Xbox.

Yes. And IMHO, Microsoft's purchase of Ninja Theory... it's talent... will give Sony’s top studios a real challenge within this area. Ninja Theory is good at storytelling and a beast at artistry & graphics.

Yes. And IMHO, Microsoft's purchase of Ninja Theory... it's talent... will give Sony’s top studios a real challenge within this area. Ninja Theory is good at storytelling and a beast at artistry & graphics.
Not if they're stuck at making Multiplayer only games like Bleeding Edge, that's talent wasted. MS is seriously imbecilic at managing their teams.

I think history shows Bungie issues are all it's own making considering they made the same exact major ClusterF again with Destiny and having to leave Activision.

I'm not sure what history you're referring too? To the best of my knowledge Bungie left Microsoft amicably working on the agreed two Halo games (ODST and Reach) with Microsoft publishing - Reach being the highest rated Halo game. Bungie have been independent since then, never being part of Activision but in 2010 agreeing a ten year publishing deal which ended prematurely. The details of that deal are not public but it stands to reason that Activision had some say over creative direction.

Time will tell how much freedom Microsoft give studios over time. After acquisition you're in the honeymoon period plus, within reason, the acquired can seek whatever terms such as completing your current project. Once those initial commitments have been fulfilled, the people who pay your wages get to decide what you work on.

And to be clear, I'm not saying Microsoft is a bad place to work or that Microsoft do not give their teams as much (if not more) creative freedom as Sony do, I'm saying nobody is talking whereas there are accounts of this from Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Pucker and others. Microsoft should be let their teams talk about this if this is the case, this is a good news story!

Why I think Remedy is a better fit for Sony is they back single player games with no multi what so ever. Microsoft or other publishers not so much.

Remedy's management seems to think they are in the movie business than the game business. If all their concept of gameplay is based on gimmicks in a beautiful but more or less lifeless environment then that's Remedy's problem. Not a MS "multiplayer" problem.

Remedy's management seems to think they are in the movie business than the game business. If all their concept of gameplay is based on gimmicks in a beautiful but more or less lifeless environment then that's Remedy's problem. Not a MS "multiplayer" problem.

Quantum Break didn't appeal but I thought the idea of a game and TV series was an interesting experiment.

Well maybe but if I was a studio owner looking to sell I would always go with the proven quantity. Money would also matter though :).

Wasn't there a story where Insomniac said working with Sony on a game was unrivaled from a support perspective? Think it was to do with Spiderman.

Quantum Break didn't appeal but I thought the idea of a game and TV series was an interesting experiment.

This has been a running theme for Remedy for a long time now. You can even see the roots of it in the Max Payne games.

Control continues to develop their passion for games as an extension/expansion of TV type storytelling.

From what I've seen of Control (streamers were allowed to stream through the first 4 main missions), it's gone heavy into TV type storytelling. I find it more engaging than Quantum Break was, but it remains to be seen whether it'll be better than Alan Wake WRT to storytelling. It certainly is very quirky and the writing thus far seems well done.

Control additionally sees nice additions to the gameplay aspect of their design. Crafting, looting, mods, etc. make a big appearance in the game and the mechanics (shooting, powers, dodging, etc.) seem solid and well done.

Regards,
SB

Back