How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This supposed leak is definitely a PR move by someone (more than likely Disney/Marvel) on getting negotiations moving again.

Spiderman is the biggest character in the MCU. Spiderman movies have done very well in the past with and without Disney. I do believe that Disney has a lot more to lose, but both companies would benefit from reaching a deal. I'm pretty sure they will.

Just patting myself on the back.

I think the game will sell 15M pretty easily. The people trying to downplay the significance of Spider-Man were clearly off their rockers. He's up there with Mickey Mouse and Mario as one of the most recognizable characters in the world. Activision badly wasted the potential of the character while they had the publishing rights.

I think you're off your rocker. ;) Logic and data say you're way off the mark.

15m is not possible.

15M+ is quite an optimistic number that I also don't think it will reach.

Not if they feel the entire success of the film is from their direct involvement or lending of Marvel characters and events into the SonyVerse for Spider-Man.

Marvel/Disney clearly attach a lot of the success of the Tom Holland movies to ties with the MCU and MCU characters. I've not seen Far From Home but Homecoming was a great Spider-Man movie. The store didn't rely on Tony Stark, Happy and Pepper being involved but it felt richer for it given Spider-Man's involvement in Civil War.

Just patting myself on the back.
That statement wasn't completely logical though and mostly a gut feeling on your part; a guess. Certainly you presented no evidence to consider Spider-Man capable selling better than Batman, a stronger hero IP. Other people weren't crazy for doubting Spider-Man's ability to sell 10 million+ given the evidence of actual data.

If we want to go somewhere intellectual with this now, it'll be to determine why SM has broken records and expectations. What's changed that it could beat the likes of Batman for sales? Play formula? Movies? Game streaming/social media? Just that it's been so long since a good Spidey game that all the old fans bought in droves?

Certainly you presented no evidence to consider Spider-Man capable selling better than Batman, a stronger hero IP.
Is Batman currently stronger IP than Spider-Man for the game-playing-movie-going demographic? Maybe in toys, but games?

If you accept that the public are fickle creatures which impacts commercial appeal (people actually spending), consider that Spider-Man is currently riding what might possibly be a media high since Toby Macquire except now movie Spider-Man is played by an actual young nerd who can't be trusted not to leak details of the movies he is in, who will appeal to the younger crowd. Batman is sad Ben Affleck playing slow, old grumpy Batman. The first two games in the recent Batman trilogy were great, Arkham Batmobile less so. I think Batman is a bit stagnant just like Spider-Man was during the Andrew Garfield era.

We're not comparing BM to SM now, but when Arkham etc. released. Those games sold 10 million cross-platform when AFAIK Batman was the strongest hero IP in the world. Given the install base being sold to on the PS4 is smaller than that BM sold to, it's very odd that SM has sold that much more. One can't even attribute it strongly to Holland's portrayal as he wasn't in the game

I don't know about Spider-man, as I haven't played it yet. But Batman 1 and 2 sold really well because they are really great games on their own. I loved them both for different reasons.

So maybe Spider-man sold really well because it's a great game on its own ?

We're not comparing BM to SM now, but when Arkham etc. released. Those games sold 10 million cross-platform when AFAIK Batman was the strongest hero IP in the world.

Arkham Batmobile released in 2015 when it had been known for a year that Affleck was playing Batman (and had been pictured in his Batsuit) with Synder directing. Everybody was predicting it would be Batmobile-crash of a movie and for once, the nerdy doomsayers were right.

Given the install base being sold to on the PS4 is smaller than that BM sold to, it's very odd that SM has sold that much more. One can't even attribute it strongly to Holland's portrayal as he wasn't in the game

I find it odd that Spider-Man only sold to around one in nine owners on PS4. :runaway: What was the collective 360/PS3 user base when Asylum launched in 2009? Was it 2018 PS4 sized?

Then figure in the marketing for Spider-Man for PS4, it was everywhere! I saw it all over Europe, it was on TV, on buses, on trains, in the side of buildings, before pretty much every movie you saw in the cinema for six weeks ahead of release. I don't recall any of the Arkham games getting that treatment. :nope:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what might be having an impact too is that Sony is building or has started to gain a reputation that you need to buy there exclusives? Could be one of the reasons Spiderman did better than the Batman games

Arkham Batmobile released in 2015 when it had been known for a year that Affleck was playing Batman (and had been pictured in his Batsuit) with Synder directing. Everybody was predicting it would be Batmobile-crash of a movie and for once, the nerdy doomsayers were right.
Arkham City is the best selling BM game, scoring a metascore of 96% versus SM's 87%. Arkham City launched end of 2011 when there were over 80 million PS360 units (hard to find a straight forward number). More consoles; higher rated game; historically bigger franchise.

D_xXe3mVAAELdH2

Arkham City is the best selling BM game, scoring a metascore of 96% versus SM's 87%. Arkham City launched end of 2011 when there were over 80 million PS360 units (hard to find a straight forward number). More consoles; higher rated game; historically bigger franchise.

The games critical release does matter but Arkham City was still a sequel; a bigger, open more refined version of the game that shipped a few years earlier. Spider-Man was a new version of the superhero - in a different league to the lacklustre Activision games that lost them their licence.

I think these things, along with marketing and the general feeling towards the IP that folks were getting from good/and movies, is why Spider-Man did better. You didn't have to look hard for a good Batman game, you had to wait 15 years for a good Spider-Man game.

Sony doesn't fit Disney's media profile. Disney would buy a load of electronics legacy and production gubbins and things they don't want to bother with. They'd then have to worry about running them profitably without decreasing the share value of the rest of the company, or sell them off at goodness knows what prices and potentially lots of losses. Spider-Man movies are worth a few hundred million a film; there's zero business sense in trying anything that costs significantly above that. The sensible move (beyond this current situation) would either be to try and buy back the rights, or accept Sony's deal and take the small cut of the movies that Sony makes knowing they still make loads on franchising etc.

Funny how people complain about Disney, Comcast, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and whomever else as being monsters (bad for consumers) during corporate acquisitions. Yet, these tactics become perfectly acceptable and convenient for those "protect-the-consumers" armchair warriors when it's something they feel entitled to having.

So, fuck Disney and their part-time / sometimes fans.

Sony doesn't fit Disney's media profile. Disney would buy a load of electronics legacy and production gubbins and things they don't want to bother with.

One massive studio eating another studio will also require Government approval, similar to when Disney took a bite out of Fox.

Back