I BLOODY HATE BLOODY KITCHEN SINKS!!!!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Not a lot I can add right now without a whole bunch of inappropriate language, suffice to say that aside from being one of the long time banes of my existence and personal nemesis in trying to keep it clear/clean as it tries to stay full/dirty they can be bloody infuriating when the water distillation system leaks and you remove that only to find that the garbage disposal is leaking like a sieve.

Got a new disposal coming tomorrow, got the old one out and I'm prepping the sink now. Got it elevated about 1/3" on bottle caps to scrape the grime from the old sink seal and I'm gonna lay a bead down between the sink and counter tonight. Looks like that seal failed a good many years ago and I can move the sink a bit with the disposal disconnecting so no time like the present.

Except for this slightly psychotic urge I have to run screaming from the house after tossing everything off all my kitchen counters. As long as I can keep that under control long enough for me to put the crap away properly rather than smash it I think it should be all good.

Did I mention I knew nothing about garbage disposals until yesterday? I did not, the internet is my friend.

Just had to vent, going a little nuts and if vent IRL it'll just make matters that much worse. Gonna do something smart and go to the local Ace hardware store and talk to other old guys about sink sealants and plumber's putty. If nothing else I find it wonderfully relaxing to be able to talk to people who understand what I'm doing and I've gotten some good advice from them in the past. Their prices are too high and stock sucks, but they're only 5 minutes away instead of 24 to the next best one so I likes 'em for little stuff. :)

Except for this slightly psychotic urge I have to run screaming from the house after tossing everything off all my kitchen counters. As long as I can keep that under control long enough for me to put the crap away properly rather than smash it I think it should be all good.

Make sure you catch that on video if you lose control of that urge. :)

Regards,
SB

sinkabovelil.jpg sinkbelowlil.jpg disposalinstalled.jpg disposalinstallednoleaks.jpg

Then 30 minutes after finishing:

And I just got done cooking three different dinners for three different people and it's all dirty and full again, things are most definitely back to normal.

Only thing is by the time I'm done cooking I don't want to bother to food myself, or I'm too stressed from cooking too many things at once so I don't eat after not eating all day, which just annoys me because then it's a bother I HAVE to do and then I ask myself, ":do you really?", and think, "Nah, the human body can survive four days without food easy and you haven't even went a day and a half yet". (Truth, it's how my brain works. I think I shorted out my hunger circuitry during my homeless/starving phase so I'm weird with hunger)

Now to calm. I was gonna take a break between job well done and cleaned up before cooking but life has a way of taking my plans, laughing maniacally, scribbling liner notes all over the place and crossing out whole paragraphs, and hands it back with a sadistic grin that I've grown used to.

One good thing about me. You can bend me, break me, knock me down; but I'll get back up again and take some more.

Just washed all the dinner dishes and started the dishwasher, the final test commences. (The dishwasher hooks in to the garbage disposal. I'm not worried about it leaking though, everything looking good and I remembered to knock the dishwasher drain plug out of the disposal before installing...a rookie mistake I would have made if not for research.)

Total out of pocket was under $86us and there is still absolutely no leakage anywhere including around where the sink lies on the counter. Calling it a success and hating life. :)

As a European this is entirely baffling.
Kitchen sink garbage disposals aren't common in Europe? It lets me wash bits of food down the drain and then when I turn it on grinds it into bits to safely go down the drain.

LOVE 'em, I do use the bin (garbage) for most stuff...but some slips through and some is just a pain. It's nice to have for that.

I've heard of even higher end Garbage Disposals ruined because of excessive Rice or Potato Peelings being scraped into it.

Kitchen sink garbage disposals aren't common in Europe? It lets me wash bits of food down the drain and then when I turn it on grinds it into bits to safely go down the drain.

LOVE 'em, I do use the bin (garbage) for most stuff...but some slips through and some is just a pain. It's nice to have for that.

They are in fact illegal in many European countries, like Scandinavia. We sort and recycle and use waste to heat entire cities with central heating (district heating) and supplying hot water. We don't have landfills.

We throw things away and just buy more here, much more wasteful. We have so many landfills it's dangerous and disgusting. :)

I've heard of even higher end Garbage Disposals ruined because of excessive Rice or Potato Peelings being scraped into it.
I have too, that's why I try NOT to get food down it but it's nice when some does.

I dunno man, they don't even really like grinding chicken bones & that'd involve some really large ones...

Back