Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case for the PC IMO would be the option to allocate a drive to XBFS solely for game purposes, using it like a console drive. For the target audience of gamers rather than Joe Public, that's perfectly acceptable. It'd have to be operated in some sandbox mode for security purposes to stop contamination from dodgy titles accessing the rest of the system. Maybe even need to be booted into for performance reasons.

TBH I thought this is the way MS were headed, with a Console mode for PC. As it is, PC isn't at all a decent substitute for a console yet and I doubt MS have any real intentions this way, so I think, as others say, PC storage performance is going to remain gimped this generation.

I still don't unserstand why one would register the design of an SDK. It's not even a comercial product. Or rather, even if you want to consider the distribution of tools for content makers a business of itself, it's still not one in which sony is at risk of losing money from someone else selling a knock-off bootleg ps5 devkit copying their design. It's a technical market with technical consumers. They know what they are buying and wouldn't get it from anyone else but directly from sony, and they don't give two shits about the physical look of the product. It makes no sense to me.

I still don't unserstand why one would register the design of an SDK. It's not even a comercial product. Or rather, even if you want to consider the distribution of tools for content makers a business of itself, it's still not one in which sony is at risk of losing money from someone else selling a knock-off bootleg ps5 devkit copying their design. It's a technical market with technical consumers. They know what they are buying and wouldn't get it from anyone else but directly from sony, and they don't give two shits about the physical look of the product. It makes no sense to me.
To have some legal arguments against the inevitable chinese Pleystation 5 devkit.

To have some legal arguments against the inevitable chinese Pleystation 5 devkit.

I had already adressed that in the previous post
But who would buy the chinese Pleystation 5 devkit? A dev that wants to develop games that wont run on actual ps5?
And why does the look of the machine matter in that case.

Maybe sony submited different sized dev-kits in order to control leaks, ms patterned the 360 kits with zebra stripes for this reason

It's not for a devkit but under the 'computing' banner, so no-one else could release a 'computing' product in that style. Maybe, real long shot, Sony have a better cooling tech but other patents perhaps cover it, so they've registered the design instead as an essential part of their tech? No, I don't buy it either. ;)

I don’t see why anything on console can’t be done on PC. It may just cost more, but certainly doable.

This is kind of like wondering why a car can't do wheelies like a bike if you pay more. PC's are, by their definition, predicated on an architecture designed to be flexible. Part of that is the fundamental need to provision for flexible points for extensibility. So on the PC the southbridge manages relatively low-bandwidth I/O (incl. PCI) and the northbridge manages the RAM, CPU (via FSB) and PCI-E to GPU with it's own RAM pool. The bridges are connected via a relatively slow internal bus.

Key components hang together over what are relatively slow buses. Consoles aren't bound by this and the expectation is that on PS5 and Scarlet will both support solid state memory over a high-bandwidth interface to the single pool RAM accessible to both CPU and GPU immediately.

From what I understand this is mandatory in Brazil, PS4 Pro devkit has a patent too there...

Mandated in what way? That every product ever made has to have its design registered? Unless they force this, a company could choose not to protect its design when it considers it unimportant and not worth protecting, which is what Milk is saying. There's no sense in spending effort and money in protecting a design where you don't care if anyone copies it.

As I stated before, I think the SDK design and tech (cooling) will have a strong influence or similarities over/with the consumer PS5 design. I'm just hoping the consumer design is less of an eye-sore than the SDK. Yuck...

Well with the v at the bottom it makes it possible to have a normal shape and have the same cooling?

https://fccid.io/AK8DHURSY63

New FCC filing for a 802.11ac+BT4.2 module.

It's a fair match for a console. Would be the first time they put the module on a flatflex instead of on the board with an antenna cable.

DHUR is a new prefix, so this is probably not a revision of previous modules.

Could be for an A/V receiver or something, but those are never filed as individual modules.

https://fccid.io/AK8DHURSY63

New FCC filing for a 802.11ac+BT4.2 module.

It's a fair match for a console. Would be the first time they put the module on a flatflex instead of on the board with an antenna cable.

DHUR is a new prefix, so this is probably not a revision of previous modules.

Could be for an A/V receiver or something, but those are never filed as individual modules.
Guessing super slim.

Is there a lithographic reduction available to create a superslim? Edit: Yes. PS4 Slim is on 16 nm. 7nm APU would get some saving. Not sure a super-slim is on the cards, but certainly a cost-reduced PS4 model is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back