Doom 3 BFG [PS4, XO, NX]

ultragpu

Banned
So this just came out along side the original Doom and Doom 2 all on current gen platform in celebration of Doom's 25th anniversary :). Been playing a bit on 1X at native 4k, the game still looks stunning to my surprise! The unified lighting and shadowing just keep on giving, yeah that game was way ahead of its time. This is honestly still one of my favorite game of all time, the atmosphere, the sound design, the jump scares and the gory as hell level design are such a blessing to the series. I only pray one day somebody would either do a remake of Doom3 or a sequel in its vein using a 9 Navi TF console as a basis.
Try it out guys, the game looks splendid on the enhanced consoles. Also make sure you turn on the Flash light shadow option in the menu for better atmosphere.

Really wanna get this on the Switch, but I'm worried about the controls. I think the joycons are fine in most cases, but they aren't great for shooters unless supported by gyro controls. That holds doubly true for a game that was originally designed for mouse and keyboard.

This is actually tempting me to pick up a Switch :). Playing Doom 3 portable is like a dream come true in itself.

Doom 3 looks excellent on the Switch in handheld, and the framerate is tighter to 60fps than in docked. Its weird to say, but Doom 3 is kind of like a technical showpiece for the Switch in handheld mode. The visuals look so clean and crisp, and some of the flaws from its age are more hidden on the small screen. It "looks" very high res on the small screen. The atmosphere just oozes in this game, and playing with headphones on in portable mode is a fantastic way to experience the game. Docked is ok, but the framerate stutters a lot, and seems to spend more time in the mid 50's than at the 60fps target. Great experience in handheld mode and an decent experience docked.

Have the controls been well tuned for the small joycons? I played Red Faction on the Switch recently and it felt like they just stuck to the sensitivity and accelleration settings from the console versions. Needless to say aiming was squirrely as hell and a right pain.

Have the controls been well tuned for the small joycons? I played Red Faction on the Switch recently and it felt like they just stuck to the sensitivity and accelleration settings from the console versions. Needless to say aiming was squirrely as hell and a right pain.

It feels good to me. I preferred the controls in handheld mode compared to docked. Everything felt right. I havent touched any settings, but I believe there are plenty of tuning options.

Bought it as well. The controls feel good. But my god, I completely forgot how much of an annoying slog Doom3 was. I remember there were very hard limits in regards to the amount of enemies the Doom3 engine could display at once, and the designers really tackled the issue in the laziest way imaginable. It's cheap monster closets - the video game all day every day. There's also othing scary about placing an imp who's ready to pounce behind a door. It's just annoying. Not to mention the pacing is just completely messed up. I'm in Delta labs right now, and after 7+ hours the scenery has finally changed every so slightly. The metal hallways are now smeared with blood and littered with body parts.

Now I want a port of Chronicles of Riddick. Came out around the same time as Doom 3 and had very similar underlying tech. Unlike Doom 3 it was a fantastic game, though.

Credit where credit is due, though: I finished the lenghty D3 campaign and am now on the Resurrection of Evil add-on which is much, much better in just about every way. the demonic heart you get pretty much right away is a way more interesting special weapon than that cube thingy. It even evolves as the game progresses. The Half Life-inspired gravity gun can be quite fun as well. Also the double barrelled shotty is back. Monster closets are mostly gone, too, and levels feel more varied. Probably due to a more compressed experience, but id your game design only supports short 5-hour games then so be it. No need to drag it out artificially.

It's not all good, though: the instakill "puzzle" sections that require the demonic heart (The Artifact i believe it is called) are super obvious, feel out of place and are more annoying than fun. Due to more complex environments the add-on is ever so slightly less solid in terms of fr as well.

Btw, I only played Doom 3 on PC and the original Xbox way back when, and this new version seems sooo much easier. Not just because of the shoulder-mounted flashlight either. Ammo seems way more abundant as well.

Last edited:
I feel like Doom3 borrowed a lot from System Shock 2, but it is too long for what it does. I think it's fun to go back to occasionally though. I have not played the BFG edition. There is a custom build of the original game's source called UQE Doom3 that has widescreen support.

The first couple hours of Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay are great but it trails off into boredom. Possibly a more interesting experience than Doom3 however.

Last edited:
The beginning and the whole setup of Doom3 felt like a direct copy of Half Life 1 to me. The same long transport phase and then shit happening in the base.

Quite ironic how the inventor of FPS became an imitator because they never truly had the creative drive, just the technical one.

I loved Doom 3 when it came out, this is why knowing how something works( such as being a game developer) must effect ones enjoyment of a game or movie.

I can imagine that while playing all you can see is how they did this and that where someone like me without the technical knowledge can just enjoy it as a whole.

Like I don't remember there only being a limited number of enemies on screen at once or that it was small little rooms all I remember is that the atmosphere was fantastic and it scared the crap out of me :)

I haven't played it since it launched though,I don't like revisiting games, books or movies once I'm done with them.
I did watch the Mad Max Fury Road movie multiple times though which is odd for me, loved that movie.

Back