Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the thermal paste supplier will get a renewed contract for next gen. That dry zinc shit was not exactly a top of the line compound.

(from the reports at least, I dismantled mine on day one so I never knew exactly what the real problem was)

New info leaked?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/plays...k-VMzWL65ilh3koSaTf4fm_LQIv4Ar5K-0J43L2578qsA

PS5 going to finally kill pc gaming once and for all. They also claim console is already 3 times bigger, but to read that claim i need to pay 7500$, which is abit too much i think.

So hilarious that people are so unthinking they trot this out every so often.

PC's are incremental, and not bound to rigid power and thermal constraints as well, they will ALWAYS be the most powerful platform. The day PS5 comes out, the PC versions of it's multiplats will be superior, with the right rig.

Plus, PC gaming is just it's own thing. For sure many would stick with it even if it was somehow less powerful than consoles (not possible). You get a keyboard for community/twitch nonsense, a lot more customization, etc etc. Hell, probably 80% of PC gamers are playing MOBA's, Minecraft, fortnight etc that dont need a lot of power.

This particular SDK design could more than likely be testing the thermal-bounds and cooling methods destine for the consumer PS5
They should be doing that with prototypes, putting the mobo and innards in different cases and setups and testing what works and what doesn't. Rolling out a test on a devkit is a recipe for disaster - what if it sucks, and you have to replace that all? Devkits are largely a case of playing it safe, whacking it all in a big case and ensuring it'll stay cool and functional always, with no regard for size or cost.

Well, they are definitely playing it safe with that design. It's probably not going to overheat because of lack of air venting.

It's a devkit: the design does not matter.

They should be doing that with prototypes, putting the mobo and innards in different cases and setups and testing what works and what doesn't. Rolling out a test on a devkit is a recipe for disaster - what if it sucks, and you have to replace that all? Devkits are largely a case of playing it safe, whacking it all in a big case and ensuring it'll stay cool and functional always, with no regard for size or cost.

I 100% agree.

However, this particular SDK is very different from prior designs, one Sony felt needed patenting. As you stated, and what I mentioned earlier in my message... SDKs are typically housed in very spacious setups similar to HTPC or Server cases. Even the rumored spec's of PS5/SDK shouldn't require such a drastic design change over prior big-box housings. But yet, here we are. So either Sony wanted to make something unique for developers to have and look at. Or, that design is actually reflective of something consumer related (e.g., PS2 SDK is very similar in design to the consumer PS2).

Wouldn't developers be under NDA to not even acknowledge if it is or isn't a PS5 DevKit?

More than likely yes. But Cerny already mentioned (some) developers having PS5 SDKs. One of the reasons why on giving the Wired interview.

Wouldn't developers be under NDA to not even acknowledge if it is or isn't a PS5 DevKit?

Yes of course. If that twitter guy is legit it just means he slipped through the cracks with saying something, as you'd expect a few of thousands of random devs to do. Would expect the tweet to be deleted at least.

Although I just thought of what if he's being sarcastic.

I would have thought dev kits right now are just formless PC's, then again I know nothing.

we started getting verified leaks on this board about february of the year PS4/XOne release IIRC. So, maybe 6 more months for the first concrete infos? If things hold to the same pattern as last time.

What was that site, vg leaks?

Yes of course. If that twitter guy is legit it just means he slipped through the cracks with saying something, as you'd expect a few of thousands of random devs to do. Would expect the tweet to be deleted at least.

Although I just thought of what if he's being sarcastic.

I would have thought dev kits right now are just formless PC's, then again I know nothing.

we started getting verified leaks on this board about february of the year PS4/XOne release IIRC. So, maybe 6 more months for the first concrete infos? If things hold to the same pattern as last time.

What was that site, vg leaks?

We got the leaks about the time final dev kits were shipped for both the One and PS4 and a month before Sony official unveiling.

I imagine something similar will happen this gen.

It’s a win win situation. Widely release final dev kits, real specs and info gets leaked and an official unveiling to top it all off.

I mean, a console like that would look pretty badass. But I'm sure it has no relation to where retail hardware ends up (I assume?)

It honestly looks like some discless build to me. That would make sense the size, there doesn't seem to be much room in there. But I guess that slit in the front is supposed to be for the disc?

Anyways yeah, now that's how you design a console, not this trash we have. Xbox is just a square, PS4 was nice, but triple decker PS4 Pro looked bad IMO.

I wonder if that would be feasible for consumers. It seems the big V slits would get very dusty?

that design looks like early 2000's idea of futuristic. It's kind of like the first iMacs, but less friendly and fashionable and more geeky and agressive. It's what the first XBox would have looked light if MS had thought of it back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back