AMD: Zen 2 (Ryzen/Threadripper 3000?, Epyc 8000?) Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Anandtech initial benchmarks of Rome

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694/amd-rome-epyc-2nd-gen

So has AMD done the unthinkable? Beaten Intel by such a large margin that there is no contest? For now, based on our preliminary testing, that is the case. The launch of AMD's second generation EPYC processors is nothing short of historic, beating the competition by a large margin in almost every metric: performance, performance per watt and performance per dollar.

Might as well post STH then.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7002-series-rome-delivers-a-knockout/

AMD hit an unqualified home run with its 2nd Generation EPYC platform. This is now the platform to get in the market. Intel has talented engineering teams and in 2020 they will be competitive again. In the meantime, this is AMD’s market. There are many reasons for still buying Intel Xeon Scalable, but for the vast majority of users, unless 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs are being discounted very heavily, AMD gives you more performance per dollar and per watt. Plus, AMD has a more modern architecture that Intel looks to follow in 2020 with Cooper Lake that it announced this week having almost as many cores.

I dunno, the bit on Adored TV really freaked me a bit and got me to thinking we shouldn't be expecting this sort of thing to continue much longer. While it feels like the start of a new epoch, right now it's just one hella successful CPU that's been refined and binned for a long time now. If'n some rumors are true I'd expect things to continue for almost a year like they are before we start finding out there isn't a whole lot beyond Zen so far. :(

If'n some rumors are true I'd expect things to continue for almost a year like they are before we start finding out there isn't a whole lot beyond Zen so far.
Whoodey what now?
At the Epyc launch event they stated Zen3 is design complete.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14724/the-amd-epyc-rome-launch-live-blog
6D8CD6E4-1A45-403F-8F85-62AD16023366.jpeg

AMD really need to gain market shares now. If they don't (or very little), what's the point... If I remember correctly, at one point Opteron was ahead of Xeon in a good numbers of metrics, and still they pushed very little volume and gained something close to nothing...

AMD really need to gain market shares now. If they don't (or very little), what's the point... If I remember correctly, at one point Opteron was ahead of Xeon in a good numbers of metrics, and still they pushed very little volume and gained something close to nothing...

It takes time for OEMs to build and qualify platforms for a line of CPUs.

It took 18 months in 2003 when Opteron launched before the big OEMs (IBM, HP etc) had boxes with Opteron in them. Our hosting provider at the time immidiately deployed white box 1U servers because the value proposition was so much better.

Cheers

Yeah but you're telling me that OEM don't already have Rome for month now ? For qualifying purposes ?

Yeah but you're telling me that OEM don't already have Rome for month now ? For qualifying purposes ?
At minimum HP, Dell and Lenovo have systems built for rome, which were shown at the conference. HP and Lenovo servers available this month and Dell sometime in Fall.

Qualifying a server platform can take more than 12 months.

I think Epyc was launched two years ago to seed/build platforms for the 7002 series more than to make money in its own right.

Cheers

The colleagues from hardware unboxed did some testing, and it indeed seems to be a case of motherboard manufacturers doing some stuff with their products. The took the AMD Ryzen 7 3800X and tested it in a large comparison with 14 different motherboards. The same processor and cooling were used in each case and hopefully applied in a strict fashion as well. I've compiled a chart based on the data and this is the end result:

index.php

The worst performer is Biostar who the worst outcome with the latest AGESA version. It isn't uncommon to see performance tweaks, for example, all the big brands have optimizations for Intel processors as well, for example, the all-core turbo on ASUS motherboards with Intel processors. Likely they are doing this to get an advantage over the competition and to product position the motherboards a bit better based on performance. But this is an interesting finding none the less.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...boost-clocks-with-different-motherboards.html

Back