Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see people repeating all the claim from AMDs marketing that Navi has 25% more performance per clock than their 14nm GPUs. Many are even mistakenly saying it's 50% more. Are there any reviews that tested this? Can someone please link?

Read the AMD Navi threads.

I see people repeating all the claim from AMDs marketing that Navi has 25% more performance per clock than their 14nm GPUs. Many are even mistakenly saying it's 50% more. Are there any reviews that tested this? Can someone please link?
According to 4k performance summary from techpowerup 9.2tf navi (36 or 40cu would be quite simillar) is eqiuvalent to:
14.6tf vega64
13.4tf vega56
11.87tf radeon vii
11.52tf rx 580

Soooo... a vega64 is equivalent to an rx580...
nope, 14.6tf vega64 ~ 11.52tf rx580 ~ 9.2tf 36/40cu navi (vega64 has very bad perf/tflop ratio) and real rx580 has 6.17tf, assumption is that increasing tf linearly will incease perf linerally (which only a case when we only oc and memory bandwidth is not limiting)

Last edited:
According to 4k performance summary from techpowerup 9.2tf navi (36 or 40cu would be quite simillar) is eqiuvalent to:
14.6tf vega64
13.4tf vega56
11.87tf radeon vii
11.52tf rx 580
does not make sense. Radeon VII and Vega have the almost the same performance per flop. Only memory-bandwidth limited the RVII is better. While RX580 has much less units, vega is the more optimized architecture (not much but a bit more). But yes sometime Vega does not get all its power to the table. Well navi is much, much better. Would be nice to know what a 56CU navi could do.

does not make sense. Radeon VII and Vega have the almost the same performance per flop. Only memory-bandwidth limited the RVII is better. While RX580 has much less units, vega is the more optimized architecture (not much but a bit more). But yes sometime Vega does not get all its power to the table. Well navi is much, much better. Would be nice to know what a 56CU navi could do.
Nope, radeon vii has much better perf/tf thanks to huge bandwidth

Nothing particularly new to offer (partial OXM article), but posting it nonetheless.

Xbox Project Scarlett will "see a big upgrade in CPU," says Xbox's Aaron Greenberg

"We feel good about what we've done with the Xbox One X, and the same team that built that is also building Project Scarlett," Greenberg told OXM. "What we're seeing today is a huge upgrade in GPU - you can output in 4K, a lot of other benefits, memory structure and so on. For next-gen, I think you'll see a big upgrade in CPU because we want to make sure you don't have any compromises with frame rate. Yes we can do 4K, but we can also do frame rates up to 120. I think that type of capability will be something people don't see today. And then the high-speed instant gaming using solid state drives to enable instant resume, getting into games and being able to play by removing load times and load screens that exist today. That's going to be a huge change."

Boot and install times, the frequency of mid-game loading screens, instant-resume support, app and UI navigation speeds, and other features which don't directly affect graphics or gameplay can still have a tremendous impact on how new and powerful a console feels. Xbox Project Scarlett and PS5 will have more powerful GPUs, no doubt about that, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they leaned more on the CPU side of things in an effort to make getting into games less time-consuming.

The custom SSD solutions is what I'm more excited about seeing.

Last edited:
Nothing particularly new to offer (partial OXM article), but posting it nonetheless.

Xbox Project Scarlett will "see a big upgrade in CPU," says Xbox's Aaron Greenberg

The custom SSD solutions is what I'm more excited about seeing.

I like to think the following quote is hinting at them wanting to have 60 FPS as a minimum frame rate for games even if they don't require developers to have 60 FPS as a minimum.

For next-gen, I think you'll see a big upgrade in CPU because we want to make sure you don't have any compromises with frame rate.

IMO, at least with respect to MS Studio games, I think current MS franchises that are 30 FPS will be 60 FPS minimum for next gen. and current MS franchises that are 60 FPS will be 120 FPS next gen.

My hope, likely unrealistic, is that all MS Studio games will be some form of temporal reconstruction @120 Hz for next gen. Maybe not at launch, but moving to that as the generation goes on.

We know that with Sebbbi being at Unity that they are likely moving that direction for their engine, but I wonder if UE will also be moving that direction.

Regards,
SB

So i made up a crude Sketch of that PS5 Dev Kit internals using one of those Patent Skeches .

I think that, as you can see, that those both "Arms" of that "V" are actually 2 Heatsinks. I assume here that on the outside are 3 Fans wich suck cool Air through that heatsink.
Both Heatsinks are connected with the APU by heatpipes . To me , it seems (if iam right)to be a smart solution. It completly sepaerates the PS5 into 2 Areas one side wich produce Heat and one side that gets rid of it. Also it is a very clear Language in terms of Airflow.
Like : Cool from front and top. Warm to sides and back. Very clean, very no bullshit approach.
That pink line i put into to indicate roughly the hight of a vanilla PS4. Wich suggests that all that funny upper part of the body are only there for the cooling solution. One could cool a PS4 with such a Method , basicly double its height.

Wich brings me right to the Final Release PS5. People look at that Patent Sketch an be like : ,,I never put such a thing under my TV"
But what People do not understand is that this Dev kit Deisgn can be transformed pretty easily into a release PS5.

Imagine the front with less USB Ports and no funny lights above the Disk insert. Then remove in your mind those scary looking vents on the sides and use more moderate looking ones. The next step is to cover those 2 openings of the "V" in front and on top with some kind of air pervious plastic grid. And there you go, the coming PS5 could actually stay with the same design Language as a PS4 Pro.
So what you are thinking - me right or wrong :D

Last edited:
I totally don't mind the design nor the size of it as long as it cools that supposed 2Ghz gpu. I think it's a cool design, no pun intended and slap on neon blue lights you have yourself something out of a 90s sci fi movie.

So i made up a crude Sketch of that PS5 Dev Kit internals using one of those Patent Skeches .

I think that, as you can see, that those both "Arms" of that "V" are actually 2 Heatsinks. I assume here that on the outside are 3 Fans wich suck cool Air through that heatsink.
Both Heatsinks are connected with the APU by heatpipes . To me , it seems (if iam right)to be a smart solution. It completly sepaerates the PS5 into 2 Areas one side wich produce Heat and one side that gets rid of it. Also it is a very clear Language in terms of Airflow.

Interesting, what about sonys usual inside PSU though? From another picture it does't look too obviously like back would be the place for it( not to mention probably another fan needed). Maybe one part of V is for psu.
ECbAj38XsAAptEV.jpg

I wouldn't mind a crazy looking box for a change actually. Save for the PS3 I liked how all their consoles've looked in the past, so I'm not to worried either way.

The design is starting to grow on me, I even think I could like to have one at home. It seems powerful and retro. I had all the first edition PS and I am tired of fan noise. It's important for me to have a silent console and if this design solves that, it would be fine by me.
cJq3pVE.jpg

All that glowy stuff? No fear! It's also a dust trap with all those corners and crevices. I agree a good cool, quiet design is desirable, but it'd have to be pretty far removed from the SDK and that artist mockup to be a functional CE device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back