Astronomy and space exploration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_hundred_meter_Aperture_Spherical_Telescope

Arecibo (top) vs FAST (bottom):
640px-Comparison_FAST_Arecibo_Observatory_profiles.svg.png
Yeah, but those are radio telescopes, not optical telescopes.

Right on time:
https://www.space.com/beyond-tess-future-exoplanet-missions.html
Beyond TESS: How Future Exoplanet-Hunters Will Seek Out Strange New Worlds
By Sarah Wells 3 hours ago Science & Astronomy

Finding exoplanets was just the beginning
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Finding exoplanets marks just the beginning of what we can learn from these distant worlds, researchers said.

At the first annual TESS Science Conference, which was held here at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from July 29 through Aug. 2, researchers came together to share the first year of science results from NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS).

TESS has now detected 993 potential planets and 28 confirmed ones, a few of which lie within the "habitable zone" of their star, meaning they might be able to sustain liquid water on their surface.

Related: NASA's TESS Exoplanet-Hunting Mission in Pictures

But in addition to revelling in the discoveries made by TESS, researchers are looking forward to what else we can learn from these exoplanets. Two follow-up missions seeking to do so were presented at the conference: TARdYS (the Tao Aiuc high Resolution d Y band Spectrograph) and CHEOPS (the Characterising Exoplanet Satellite.)

Unmmmm....

Sorry but this is not new. And so many other things.

NASA PR, ugh.
Um, excuuuuse meeeeee... o_O

I know it's not new. I mentioned it because we were talking about this these days, and they just posted that article, but yeah, I know it doesn't tell anything new and that most of you are quite updated.

Um, excuuuuse meeeeee... o_O

I know it's not new. I mentioned it because we were talking about this these days, and they just posted that article, but yeah, I know it doesn't tell anything new and that most of you are quite updated.

Sorry man, didn't mean to sound pissy.

Sorry man, didn't mean to sound pissy.
Oh, no problem. I also thought the info in the article wasn't something to be surprised of. That's why I said that my intention was just to point out a coincidence regarding the subject we were talking about here. :mrgreen:

I see they're going for reusability, too. Maybe this will become a global trend, after all?

Oh, and cool booster retrieval system, even though we didn't see it yet. Spacex's is cooler, IMO. :mrgreen: Nothing beats a booster landing on its own... until we get full, self-contained spaceships (oops, I wrote spaceshits at first), which I hope I will live to see.

Yeah I have my doubts about that retrieval system.
I mean US did similar with Skyhook back in the day but its one thing hooking a camera film capsule with a C-130, something else hooking a 1st stage rocket with a chopper.

Yeah I have my doubts about that retrieval system.
I mean US did similar with Skyhook back in the day but its one thing hooking a camera film capsule with a C-130, something else hooking a 1st stage rocket with a chopper.
Maybe they tried to do something different from Spacex, so they don't look they copycat... or maybe they don't have the means to reproduce the same system. At any rate, if Spacex's formula is the most efficient, other companies will follow (those that aren't already).

Also, recently:
LinkSpace Reusable Rocket Prototype Makes Its Highest Flight Yet (And Lands, Too!)
By Tariq Malik 6 days ago Tech

The Chinese company LinkSpace successfully flew a rocket prototype on its highest flight yet, then nailed the landing as the firm pursues reusable spaceflight technology.

The LinkSpace Aerospace Technology Group launched its Reusable Launch Vehicle T5 vehicle on Aug. 10 at the company's Mangai test site in China's Qinghai province. The brief flight, the third for this booster, lasted less than a minute and reached an altitude of just over 984 feet (300 meters). Video from LinkSpace shows the booster rising from its launchpad, then easing back to Earth to land on four legs.
https://www.space.com/linkspace-reusable-suborbital-rocket-launch-success.html

Maybe they tried to do something different from Spacex, so they don't look they copycat...

Electron is tiny for an orbital rocket. It has up to 250kg of payload. They simply don't have the margins to do hypersonic retro propulsion + propulsive landing.

Any of the smallsat launchers wanting to do reuse SpaceX style will need to go quite a bit bigger with their vehicles.

have my doubts about that retrieval system

Lockheed Martin demoed it a couple of years ago. They own part of Rocketlab, so they've probably just nabbed that data/tech.

SpaceX Starhopper last untethered test yesterday! 150 meters high. Impressive!

The next tests will be with Starship prototypes, I think.

Oh, and...
https://www.space.com/next-footsteps-moon-for-all-america-artemis.html
Next Footsteps on Moon Will Be 'For All of America,' NASA Chief Says
By Mike Wall 19 hours ago Spaceflight

The 2024 moon mission will feature at least one woman.
cYWnNtewGfeE4jdFMEWswV-320-80.jpg

Artist's illustration of a moon lander capable of ferrying humans to the lunar surface.
(Image: © NASA)

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. — The next time NASA flies astronauts to the moon, more of us will go along for the ride.

The space agency plans to land two people near the lunar south pole by 2024, and at least one of those pioneers will be a woman. So the coming giant leap will be quite different than the Apollo moon missions, NASA chief Jim Bridenstine stressed.

The Apollo crewmembers were all white men, and most of them rose through the ranks of the U.S. military as fighter pilots or test pilots. (Apollo 17 moonwalker Harrison "Jack" Schmitt, a geologist, was a notable exception in this latter regard.)

Related: Lunar Legacy: 45 Apollo Moon Mission Photos

"This time when we go to the moon, we go with, in fact, all of America, under the Artemis program," Bridenstine said yesterday (Aug. 26) during a Women's Equality Day event here at NASA's Ames Research Center.
Call me crazy, but something tells me that he's not referring to all America, though... ¬_¬ (you know, the continent)

Back