Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking pretty good!

I'll remain unconvinced until I can see it in a dimly lit room which is where all LCDs currently fail, IMO. In a brightly lit room, they do fine as then the blooming isn't as noticeable. Then again in a brightly lit room, you don't notice greyish blacks much either which is why IPS panels look virtually identical to VA panels in a bright room other than the narrower viewing angles for VA panels.

Even with as many LEDs as they are using, I doubt it'll do more than just reduce the size of the blooming. For some that may be enough for most dark scenes depending on how far away they sit from the TV.

Still, while skeptical, I'll still check it out in person when I have a chance to. I still won't use it as they are likely using a VA panel, but I'm still interested to see just how effective it can be and at what distances it'll be effective.

Regards,
SB

If they continue to street price it at 1/3rd the price of OLED, then I'll be hard pressed not to switch my consumption pattern from buying the absolute best and hoping it lasts for 10 years to buying the TCL looking to get 3.3 years out of it, rinse and repeat twice more.

I've had two coworkers jump on the TCL 65" R615/617 for $730. They absolutely love their new sets.

If they continue to street price it at 1/3rd the price of OLED, then I'll be hard pressed not to switch my consumption pattern from buying the absolute best and hoping it lasts for 10 years to buying the TCL looking to get 3.3 years out of it, rinse and repeat twice more.

I've had two coworkers jump on the TCL 65" R615/617 for $730. They absolutely love their new sets.

I suppose the question to ask is what they came from? I mean, I still have an old LG 42L7000 from 2009 or so :p

Same.

Even with the OLED, you might only be able to go 3-5 years before there is enough improvement that you'd want to upgrade.

On the mini LED, it may be worth waiting for them to iterate a couple of times. The thing with controlling every LED is probably processing power, which also leads to heat.

I have a feeling the manufacturers are all targeting 2020 to make a big splash, like HDMI 2.1, maybe a tick year instead of a tock year. Also more with 8K since the Japanese broadcasters will surely produce 8K feeds of the Tokyo Games, even if nobody outside of Japan can use it. In the US they are actually going to stream one NFL game a week in 4K HDR and in Euro, maybe they will do something with Euro 2020.

One thing though is this trade tiff between Japan and Korea, which may affect 2020 OLEDs

In terms of broadcast, in the UK at least the only thing resembling 4KHDR live TV is via the BBC iPlayer and only on very rare occurrences like Wimbledon. And of course, only on compatible TVs. Other than that, zero.

Oh dear, the LG C8 55" is going for only $713 next friday at a local store.

It's pretty hard not to jump on that deal.

If that was happening near me, I'd get one ASAP at that price even if I plan on getting a 9 series OLED when they start getting discounted. Lucky bastard. :)

Just be careful, I seriously considered that for a while, but the combination of panel lottery (look at the Amazon reviews and customer images to see what I'm talking about) combined with VA made me not want to take the chance. For the price, if it wasn't a panel lottery I would have been really tempted to try to find a way to make VA work for me. I didn't want to have to deal with potentially having to return it to Amazon (since they had the best price on it when I looked).

Regards,
SB

If that was happening near me, I'd get one ASAP at that price even if I plan on getting a 9 series OLED when they start getting discounted. Lucky bastard. :)

Just be careful, I seriously considered that for a while, but the combination of panel lottery (look at the Amazon reviews and customer images to see what I'm talking about) combined with VA made me not want to take the chance. For the price, if it wasn't a panel lottery I would have been really tempted to try to find a way to make VA work for me. I didn't want to have to deal with potentially having to return it to Amazon (since they had the best price on it when I looked).

Regards,
SB

I got two Sony Bravia with VA panel, one is 4 years old and the other one almost 1 year old. I might have been lucky but I was and still am very impressed by picture quality.

VA panels are great if you’re not going to watch at an angle. As soon as you move, things start getting a bit messy but it’s really a matter of preference. Ultimately they have the best black levels and colour reproduction. Might be wrong, things might have changed, and new panels fare a bit better, especially the quantum dots ones, which I think are still VA panels with the extra QD filter thing? Can’t remember.

The beauty of a big 65" TCL is the only way you can be watching at off angle is if you're in an entirely different room, like an adjoined kitchen from the Living Room. IE: It's not an issue at all.

I'd have thought large screens exacerbate the issue if you watch close with a large FOV. You are off at an angle on everything that's not centre screen.

My parents have the TCL 65" R615 set. Their living room is 12 feet wide and 20 feet long. The set is hanging on the wall nearly in the center of the 12 foot wall. There is not a bad spot at all to view the set. The only bad spot to watch is if I'm standing in the adjoining room (kitchen) looking from only 4 feet in front of the set and at a rather extreme angle. If you're confined to the actual room, all viewing spots produce awesome results.

Yeah, the viewing angle complaints about VA are incredibly overblown. The difference between them and IPS is all but non-existant in my experience. It is nothing like a comparison to TN.

I'd have thought large screens exacerbate the issue if you watch close with a large FOV. You are off at an angle on everything that's not centre screen.

Yes, it's worse when you are closer to the set, but the large size somewhat mitigates the bad off-angle viewing as you move farther away.

A 55" VA panel for my PC display would be a disaster since I sit relatively close to it (~3 feet). But in a living room with a 65" set where you're sitting say, 8 or 9 feet away, everyone on a single couch can possibly have a decent angle. And then you'll get the color shift and off angle dimming for pretty much everything else.

According to Rtings.
  • Brightness Loss : 29 °
  • Black Level Raise: 15 °
  • Gamma Shift: 14 °
So, most of the couch should be mostly within those angles at a decent distance from the set. But any chairs off to the side a little bit will start to suffer color shifting, black crush, and dimming. Meanwhile, as a monitor, that would just be an unmitigated disaster.

Then again some people are more or less susceptible to noticing color shift, black shift, and brightness shift.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, the viewing angle complaints about VA are incredibly overblown. The difference between them and IPS is all but non-existant in my experience.

not at all overblown, I complained about VA panels since I got one 40" eleven years ago (then I had 48" VA). When I wanted to buy larger 55" I went with IPS and it's much better and even though contrast ratio is lower, it's at least consistent from one corner of the screen to another.

Must be my eyes or curved screen (KS8500) but anyone who is sensitive enough to color and gamma shifts and cares about their occurrences doesn’t seem like the type that’s going to readily sit off angle to enjoy a movie.

I can pick up changes when moving off angle from my TV but it’s takes a bit of effort of actually looking for and spotting such changes.

I’d be put off by the angle of view well before the shift in color and heightened blacks would bother me.

Last edited:
Must be my eyes or curved screen (KS8500) but anyone who is sensitive enough to color and gamma shifts and cares about their occurrences doesn’t seem like the type that’s going to readily sit off angle to enjoy a movie.

I can pick up changes when moving off angle from my TV but it’s takes a bit of effort of actually looking for and spotting such changes.

I’d be put off by the angle of view well before the shift in color and heightened blacks would bother me.

Just looking at the snapshot for the preview on that video shows the massive color and brightness shift. It's distracting to the extreme for me. But as I mentioned, some people are more sensitive to it than others.

As well, we regularly have people over for sporting events, movie viewing nights and what not. So off angle viewing is important. If I was living the single life, then it wouldn't be bad for a TV even if it was still an absolute disaster as a PC monitor.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back