Fidelity FX feature set discussion *spawn*

Review of FidelityFX in Rage 2 (it works on both NVIDIA and AMD hardware)

the first game to offer the feature, Fidelity FX was enabled by default when we played it using our RT 2080 Ti graphics card. The performance impact of the feature was not noticeable during gameplay, but its impact on the game's visuals certainly was, at least to our trained eyes

we can confirm that it does work with Nvidia's Geforce hardware and has a positive effect on Rage 2's image quality

If you were looking for a night and day difference, I'm afraid to inform you that that's not happening. The impact of FidelityFX is a subtle one, so much so that you could miss it if you didn't know what you are looking for

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/amd_fidelity_fx_review_-_featuring_rage_2/1

For there being no "night and day" differences, at least in their little widget for Rage 2, the difference is relatively massive to me. Blurry-ish presentation versus not so blurry presentation. Most noticeable with the vegetation. Textures for terrain slightly less so while the weapon sees the least noticeable improvement. That's good for me as vegetation and terrain textures in games can drive me nuts.

Regards,
SB

Yea it looks good to me, if its free then its all win.

Since it works on nvidia they should compare 4k with dlss and 1440p with post process aa and fidelityfx.
I suppose it depends on which effects you implement, but AMD said 0.x - <2 % difference in Borderlands 3

FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) is now freely available. Created by Timothy Lottes (who created FXAA 10 years ago while at Nvidia) :

https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/fidelityfx/
Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) is the first FidelityFX release. CAS provides a mixed ability to sharpen and optionally scale an image. The algorithm adjusts the amount of sharpening per pixel to target an even level of sharpness across the image. Areas of the input image that are already sharp are sharpened less, while areas that lack detail are sharpened more. This allows for higher overall natural visual sharpness with fewer artifacts.

CAS was designed to help increase the quality of existing Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) solutions. TAA often introduces a variable amount of blur due to temporal feedback. The adaptive sharpening provided by CAS is ideal to restore detail in images produced after TAA .

CAS’ optional scaling capability is designed to support Dynamic Resolution Scaling (DRS). DRS changes render resolution every frame, which requires scaling prior to compositing the fixed-resolution User Interface (UI). CAS supports both up-sampling and down-sampling in the same single pass that applies sharpening.

Technical Presentation: https://gpuopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/FidelityFX-CAS.pptx

Last edited:
For there being no "night and day" differences, at least in their little widget for Rage 2, the difference is relatively massive to me. Blurry-ish presentation versus not so blurry presentation. Most noticeable with the vegetation. Textures for terrain slightly less so while the weapon sees the least noticeable improvement. That's good for me as vegetation and terrain textures in games can drive me nuts.

Regards,
SB

Holy cow, that difference is amazing, on the level of something that DSR would bring about.
If this were navi only, I'd have sold off my cards yesterday.

FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) is now freely available Created by Timothy Lottes (who created FXAA 10 years ago while at Nvidia) :

https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/fidelityfx/

It'd be great if this could be an injectable like SMAA/FXAA. Though it might be something like TAA that can't be used without more support from the game engine.

Would this be useful to compliment DLSS to counter some of the blurring.

Holy cow, that difference is amazing, on the level of something that DSR would bring about.
If this were navi only, I'd have sold off my cards yesterday.

It'd be great if this could be an injectable like SMAA/FXAA. Though it might be something like TAA that can't be used without more support from the game engine.

Yea they said it has to be implemented by the devs, taa is exactly the use case they suggested it would be ideal for.

The radeon image sharpening works with everything though, although I haven't heard anything about it really yet.

Yea they said it has to be implemented by the devs, taa is exactly the use case they suggested it would be ideal for.

The radeon image sharpening works with everything though, although I haven't heard anything about it really yet.
It's currently limited to Vulkan, DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 (also requires RX 5700)

So is this a feature implemented in the driver or is it an ingame option ?
Edit: it's ingame I should have read the article first ;)
would it be safe to say its like nvidia's digital vibrance but selective ?

It's currently limited to Vulkan, DirectX 9 and DirectX 11
And DX12 ;)

Edit: now I'm a bit confused
The radeon image sharpening works with everything though
Your second sentence refers to amd's image sharpening, what's the first sentence referring to?

Last edited:
Driver RIS and FidelityFX CAS use the same technologies. The reason it's also available for the developer to integrate, rather than being driver only, is that the driver implementation necessarily can only apply it on the final presented image the game sends for display. That often looks fine, but it might not be optimal depending on what's being drawn and how it's being drawn.

The best case is the developer integrates it into the right place in their renderer, usually somewhere in the post chain that correctly considers colour space, text and UI rendering, etc. If that happens and a game integrates it, the driver uses app registration and other mechanisms to disable RIS for that title, so it doesn't happen twice.

CAS integrations were some of the last things I worked on at AMD, and the feedback from developers was very positive on the whole. Where it didn't work in eval were sensible cases that tended to be technically related, rather than quality related. Things like the game already had a well optimised content-aware sharpener tightly integrated into an existing pass.

One of the key selling points, and a real feature, is the fact that it's completely open and MIT licensed, so developers can do what they want with it. Pull it to pieces, optimise it, integrate it however you see fit, use it as a building block for something else, whatever they like. No black box, no silly licensing, no silly deals. Just "here's some cool tech we invented that you might like and it's free".

CAS integrations were some of the last things I worked on at AMD...

???

OH! You're back at IMG? Congrats? I know you likely can't talk about anything, but I do wonder if there's something exciting going on there that drew you back. :)

Regards,
SB

Under pressure from AMD (no doubt), NVIDIA introduced a new post process sharpen filter that is both faster and of better quality than previously possible, it works for all NVIDIA cards, and supports all APIs.

As part of our new Game Ready Driver, we are releasing a new Sharpen Freestyle filter with improved image quality and performance compared to our existing “Detail” Freestyle filter. The image quality of the new filter is improved, and the performance impact is roughly half that of the prior filter.

Freestyle sharpening is different from other solutions in a couple of ways: Freestyle gives gamers the ability to customize the amount of sharpness, from 0 to 100%, and apply this customization on a per game basis using the in-game overlay. We believe sharpness is based on personal preference and varies from game to game, so with Freestyle we designed a simple solution that remembers your settings in each game.

NVIDIA Freestyle also offers broader API support than other solutions, letting you enhance over 600 games DX9, DX11, DX12 and Vulkan API games. And we’ll continue to add support for more as part of our Game Ready Driver releases.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/

Back