Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exclusive Xbox one DX12 enhancements to jag based cores made sense since that was an EOL arch where AMD had no intentions of continued iterations with new features in the PC space.

Exclusive Scarlett based enhancements revolving around DX12/ML makes no sense since those enhancements should be beneficial in the PC space.

Excluding the features from Sony doesn’t require excluding the same features in the PC especially since they would aid in the competition against Intel.

The use of adjectives like custom or enhanced seem like a continuation of what we saw from mid gen jargon.
I did not see a disclosure concerning DX12 customizations for the CPU cores.
Microsoft indicated that there were certain commands which allowed the command processor to perform more complex indirection internal to the GPU, removing the need for the CPU to execute multiple draw calls for the same effect.
There were claims that other DX12 commands could be implemented in different ways with microcode updates, although it was clarified at the time that no microcode for DX12 existed that wasn't standard with the changes introduced for any other DX12 devices.

There was apparently a small tweak to the Xbox One X CPU cores, which was the addition of an intermediate cache for nested page translations to and from the hypervisor and other OS partitions. This was a relatively modest amount of storage, which AMD cores that launched after Jaguar had as well. It reduced overhead somewhat for the multi-VM setup Microsoft uses.

I did not see a disclosure concerning DX12 customizations for the CPU cores.
Microsoft indicated that there were certain commands which allowed the command processor to perform more complex indirection internal to the GPU, removing the need for the CPU to execute multiple draw calls for the same effect.
There were claims that other DX12 commands could be implemented in different ways with microcode updates, although it was clarified at the time that no microcode for DX12 existed that wasn't standard with the changes introduced for any other DX12 devices.

There was apparently a small tweak to the Xbox One X CPU cores, which was the addition of an intermediate cache for nested page translations to and from the hypervisor and other OS partitions. This was a relatively modest amount of storage, which AMD cores that launched after Jaguar had as well. It reduced overhead somewhat for the multi-VM setup Microsoft uses.

So this enhancement is already in Zen/Zen2 architectures?

So this enhancement is already in Zen/Zen2 architectures?
Depending where you look on Zen2's TL buffer hierarchy it's either equal or superior to those tweaked in Xbox One X
Eg Zen2's L1 TL instruction buffers are larger and while its L2 TLBs are the same (eg both 2048 entries for 4KB pages)

TLBs are not to be confused with L1 & L2 cache most techies are familiar with even though they both have L1 & L2 hierarchies.

The other tweek to Xbox One X CPU was improvements to its MMUs reducing main memory access latency by up to 20%

Last edited:
That pastebin Xbox 2 rumor/and or lies from last page sounds expensive as hell. Mainly, 24GB GDDR6? Holy cow. Plus a 1TB SSD, not cheap.

Seems a 499 device for sure. The 24GB GDDR6 is hardest for me to swallow. I'd be thinking maybe 16GB sounds reasonable. But then again my phone does have 12GB, so maybe.

I mean I guess rumors like this are not so crazy just in that, the tech is gonna be Navi/Zen/GDDR6 SSD. Only the quantities are really in question.

These are gonna be sexy, high tech machines though. Excite.

Edit: is 393mm enough for 56 CU, 8 zen core, and RT cores? Is this leak even feasible.

5700XT is 251mm

Last edited:
I was thinking about the SSD in these. Consumer 1TB SSD still seems to run ~$100. Whereas 512GB is more like ~$50. The latter seems a lot more reasonable to put in a console, but isn't enough storage. So I was wondering if they were going to do two HDD, one mechanical for storage, one SSD. But thinking, that would likely be more expensive than just doing a 1TB SSD to start. Space for two hard drives would be a build cost premium they will likely avoid at all costs anyway. So, 1TB SSD it is.

Destiny after Shadowkeep is said to weigh 175Gb alone (it is 88GB in it's current state). I think a 1TB is enough to hold 5-6 next gen games if we assume ~100Gb per game (might be charitable)+space for odds and ends. It's enough, not ideal of course but enough.

Fresh off Era today is that according to a former Gamefan magazine editor both Scarlett and PS5 are over 9.2 RDNA Tflops and the third party next gen game he has claimed to have seen looked beyond belief.
So lowballing it 10 TF being minimum and 12 TF being optimistic, that's well over 14 TF Polaris :oops::oops:.
Lm93KRM.gif

So lowballing it 10 TF being minimum and 12 TF being optimistic, that's well over 14 TF Polaris :oops::oops:.
Lm93KRM.gif
(sarcasm) If this is true we haven't got this much power since Tom Kalinske told us Nintendo fit a $100K SGI workstation inside of the $249 N64. Where the extra 125MB of RAM went when they fit it in I don't know.

Why 9.2 though? The lowball would be...9.3 TF, surely. Or even just over 9.2 so you'd round it.
9.2tf is based on the assumption that the APU is cocked at 2GHz with 36 active CUs. And he wouldn't go in length and remark the significance of over 9.2 tf if the difference isn't sizable, I think.

Why 9.2 though? The lowball would be...9.3 TF, surely. Or even just over 9.2 so you'd round it.
Having done the math, the lowball would be 9.21Tf. Or 9.2Tf rounded. Not rounded up, nor down, just rounded. Sony went to two decimal places for PS4: 1.84Tf.

From era... It probably means he found a new codename. Just teasing about it.

Among the characters in The Tempest there's Gonzalo, Ariel....

It's time to write some pastebins. One for each remaining characters. Then pull out the correct one later as a very credible pastebin which was the first time ever the code name was mentionned, and delete the others.

Fresh off Era today is that according to a former Gamefan magazine editor both Scarlett and PS5 are over 9.2 RDNA Tflops and the third party next gen game he has claimed to have seen looked beyond belief.
He has written a little about the game he saw [multiplat on PS5]. Sounds technically great:

"Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3
Really early
Running on PS5
I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare
Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range
Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD
Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before
Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive
Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF
When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.
As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time."

"World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else."

This gives us another mention of raytracing on PS5. SSD remains shrouded in mystery, and no dev has given hint about RAM size.

I would yield caution to all this supposed insider information, regardless of their prior history in the game industry.

IMO, he's more credible than 95% of other 'insiders' who are just random posters with undisclosed "insider info". He has dev connections, long history of work in the gaming industry, and good track records.

But ofc, we have to wait for propper unveil of the platform, and then unveil of games. Next year will be sweet.

He has written a little about the game he saw [multiplat on PS5]. Sounds technically great:

This gives us another mention of raytracing on PS5. SSD remains shrouded in mystery, and no dev has given hint about RAM size.

20-30 Fps , not the clarity of PC tech demos, and the other fact we have from a Developner that Raytraycing + 4K is not possible on Ps5 and Co. , only 16-24 Gbbyte Ram(speculation) , so next gen is not powerful enough . And if the SSD + low Ram Memory Solution is so great why get the Developner nervous when he was ask about? My Conclusion is, Nextgen Consoles are too weak to handle 4K, Raytraycing and 60 Fps at the same time . Raytraycing is not really ready for real world gaming compare to other standard Effects like Bump Mapping, Texturfilter, Antialaising etc. or classic Rasterizer Effects. And they are band starved, because if Sony and MS use consequent HBM2 ( or other wide I/O solution) with 1,2 Tbyte/s Bandwith, they wouldnt get these Problems i think. So the only hope we have that the Developner use some Screen tiling, deffered , temporal injection, dynamic Resolution stuff to solve some Problems here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back