The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I'm not really sure I'd call Homelander, Queen Maeve, The Deep, or A-Train "original" lol

Not as in original arch-type. But as in original character. If they were instead called Superman, Aquaman, Flash, and Wonder Woman, I'd have hated the show.

It's one reason I hated Batman vs. Superman. Bleh. I did not like that treatment of Superman..

Regards,
SB

Well the whole point of the show (and the comics it’s based on) is that the 7 are kind of a parody of the Justice League. In the comics they even have their version of the Avengers (called Payback). And the X-Men, called G men. Even the names are genius.

So of course they’re not “original”, but the way they are portrayed, and the general feel of the show sure is.

The comics are seriously different than the show and even more twisted, just finished the first omnibus last night.

They are absolutely fantastic too! As an old comic reader/collector/fan it's some of the best stuff I've ever read. Up there with "Watchman" and Miller's "Dark Knight"! :D

Highly recommended! I want to say that Simon Pegg is just spectacular in it, but it's not really him although it FEELS like him and looks just like him. There's a hilarious forward by Mr. Pegg, pretty much the first thing you'll read and it's great. It's the story of how the artist chose him because he saw this little English show called "Spaced" and his character was perfect for the part and he never asked Pegg because he never expected people to make the connection to a small time English actor and his comic. ROFL!

GREAT stuff, even the backstories! I turned my monitor sideways for the first time in years just so I can read it better. :)

Well the whole point of the show (and the comics it’s based on) is that the 7 are kind of a parody of the Justice League. In the comics they even have their version of the Avengers (called Payback). And the X-Men, called G men. Even the names are genius.

So of course they’re not “original”, but the way they are portrayed, and the general feel of the show sure is.

Well, yes. That's quite obvious. But the fact that they aren't actually those characters is what makes this enjoyable.

It's similar to how much I hated Fallout 3, because it perverted and debased the Fallout series as it was established prior to Bethesda getting involved.

However, if Fallout 3 had been called something NOT Fallout and everything in the setting was similar with just names here and there being changed, I'd probably have liked it.

Same goes for a lot of different things. If Halo 4 and 5 weren't Halo games in name then I might have liked them. Same game with different names for the IP and characters, and I likely wouldn't have hated them.

Regards,
SB

Treme. Definitely, you don't have to miss it if you love New Orleans and its culture (the music!!). A very enjoyable show.

I'm enjoying The Boys (© LB), but it has to be said that Karl Urban does the worst Cock-er-nee accent I've heard since the days of Dick Van Dyke.
Really? I liked his accent, but I don't know how accurate it is and I totally suck at trying ANY kind of english accent for some reason. :(

I have a very flexible voice and can do great accents and vocal caricatures of people, but I can not do an english accent without sounding like an american trying to do a english accent and failing miserably.

Accent aside, Urban was fantastically intense and hilarious. :)

Heh, when I was younger, I couldn't pull off a Good British accent, but I could pull off an amazing Australian accent. Enough that people from Australia when travelling would ask me where I was from. :D

Regards,
SB

Actors trying to pull off an English accent tend to concentrate on the vowels. That gets you most of the way there, but to a native you can still hear the Yank/Oz/Kiwi/SA twang in the consonants.

Add to that the English and British regional accents are extremely varied, well you're on to a loser TBH.

I'm enjoying The Boys ([emoji2398] LB), but it has to be said that Karl Urban does the worst Cock-er-nee accent I've heard since the days of Dick Van Dyke.

God it was so annoying. The first few episodes he sounded like a proper Oz, and I thought Ok cool he’s Australian! Then at some point they started calling him “the British guy” and his accent went fake cockney, then back and forth between the two, and I was so confused.
Why not keep his actual accent and be done with it??
Or get an actual British actor, of whom there is hardly a shortage, if the character really required a British nationality? (He doesn’t)

Oddly enough, I've seen Urban (who is apparently a Kiwi, not an Aussie!) do what I thought was a passable American accent on a number of occasions. Perhaps I was mistaken about how believable his American accent was?

I can quite easily tell the difference between the Australian and Kiwi accents but I'm not so sure I could tell when a Kiwi was attempting an Australian accent or vice versa!

I'd say Urban's dodgy accent is more Aussie than Cockney with a bit of Kiwi chucked in.

God it was so annoying. The first few episodes he sounded like a proper Oz, and I thought Ok cool he’s Australian! Then at some point they started calling him “the British guy” and his accent went fake cockney, then back and forth between the two, and I was so confused.
Why not keep his actual accent and be done with it??
Or get an actual British actor, of whom there is hardly a shortage, if the character really required a British nationality? (He doesn’t)

Damn, why couldn't they have just written him in as an Aussie instead of trying to have him be British? Only up to the 3rd episode so far, but I'd just assumed he was Australian in the show.

Regards,
SB

So after binging through The Boys the same weekend it came out, I've been on a low point from a TV series perspective.

There's a few series I'm trying to finish off, but they dont have binge-ability to go more than 2 episodes a day. They're decent shows in their own right, just not entirely in my central interests. I was bouncing between Orange is the New Black and The Ranch.

I had an itch for something SciFi or Violent, so was going to rewatch Altered Carbon since it has both. Then I saw Netflix's ad for Wu Assassins. My first take was "Oh, a new Iron Fist but without whiney rich entitled brat baggage". It seems more violent and perhaps has more potential for a good storyline. Only 1 episode in, so who knows how the ride will go. Not as bloody as Warrior, at least not yet.

After that series will probably throw in some GLOW for mindless fun, but even that is getting to be less fun and more drama.

This was indeed weird. I assumed his shifting accent was intentional and was slowly working toward some explanation or joke.

So after binging through The Boys the same weekend it came out, I've been on a low point from a TV series perspective.

There's a few series I'm trying to finish off, but they dont have binge-ability to go more than 2 episodes a day. They're decent shows in their own right, just not entirely in my central interests. I was bouncing between Orange is the New Black and The Ranch.

I had an itch for something SciFi or Violent, so was going to rewatch Altered Carbon since it has both. Then I saw Netflix's ad for Wu Assassins. My first take was "Oh, a new Iron Fist but without whiney rich entitled brat baggage". It seems more violent and perhaps has more potential for a good storyline. Only 1 episode in, so who knows how the ride will go. Not as bloody as Warrior, at least not yet.

After that series will probably throw in some GLOW for mindless fun, but even that is getting to be less fun and more drama.
hey man re-watch something good: the wire, deadwood (well it wasnt a re-watch for me because im durrpppp; see earlier this thread), the sopranos, breaking bad, band of brothers

This was indeed weird. I assumed his shifting accent was intentional and was slowly working toward some explanation or joke.

So weird that when they started talking about “the British guy” after a few episodes, I though Wait, who??? Only after a bit I realised they were talking about Butcher, and his accent slowly kinda changed... WEIRDDDD

Back