WTF happen if you put 3 SSD in surface-style tablet? What if you put Long M2 ssd in short M2 slot?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So... The parts I ordered from Russia for my Sony vaio tap 11 have arrived and... what the fuck? Full-blown b keyed m2 slot!

It originally was meant for LTE, and I though it was mpcie. But turns out its B KEY M.2.

Thus it would supports
PCIe x2 / SATA /USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 / HSIC / SSIC / Audio / UIM / I2C

so I can put 3 SSDs in a tablet? 0_0

So...

1 ssd msata in the mpcie slot
1 ssd m2 2230 in the wifi slot
1 ssd m2 2242 in the LTE slot

Sony going their own way to be out of spec (does the CPU even supports that many pci-e lanes?) Overengineered tablet?

Unfortunately the m.2 slot of the new board I ordered from Russia was chipped a wee bit.

Dunno whether its working pot not. Gonna try tomorrow with a WiFi card, then m2 SSD if I can plug a long 2260 or 2280 in there (by removing the internal battery that blocks the length)

It won't blow up or something right?

2242 2260 2280 all are cross-compatible right? I mean as long as you can Jerry rig them to "fit"?

Sony going their own way to be out of spec (does the CPU even supports that many pci-e lanes?) Overengineered tablet?

Not all M2 slots support PCIe. I guess the WiFi and LTE connections do support it, but the storage one may be SATA only.

Regardless, even if they all sported 4x PCIe lanes each (it's probably just 2x BTW), it would amount to 12 lanes total which is still below the maximum of 16 lanes that the Haswell CPUs provide.

Not all M2 slots support PCIe. I guess the WiFi and LTE connections do support it, but the storage one may be SATA only.

Regardless, even if they all sported 4x PCIe lanes each (it's probably just 2x BTW), it would amount to 12 lanes total which is still below the maximum of 16 lanes that the Haswell CPUs provide.

Thanks! So it do have many pci lanes whoa.

It's B keyed slot, so if sony followed the standard it will have SATA.

Although it is sony so wouldn't surprise me if they actually didn't properly follow the standard

Thanks! So it do have many pci lanes whoa.

It's not a lot. 16 lanes is just the standard for a discrete GPU, which the Vaio doesn't have so it has all those lanes available.
There might actually be more than 16 lanes in Haswell Y (maybe 20), but I'm not sure.

Sony ignoring standards and doing their own thing, You don't say.

Back