Next Generation Neo Geo (maybe)

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug
Neo Geo '2 and 3' on the way, apparently

SNK is making a new version of its legendary Neo Geo system, it has been revealed.

The announcement came from SNK Corporation chairman Ge Zhihui, who also revealed that a new Metal Slug title is in development for the new console, as well as other systems. The news came during an investor relations press conference in Seoul.

While it's not known exactly what form the new Neo Geo system will take – or why we're getting two versions, numbered '2 and 3' – Zhihui revealed that higher-than-expected sales of the Neo Geo Mini had convinced the company to create more hardware. However, he was quick to add that these new consoles are unrelated to the Neo Geo Mini, a stand-alone mini arcade cabinet pre-loaded with games that plugs into your TV via HDMI.

As a owner of two original cartridge based Neo Geo's, I want this madness to be true. :yep2::runaway:

I think its a neat idea. The mini consoles, when done right, have gone over very well with consumers. NeoGeo was always a niche market console, and this new product will be as well, but I think this can be a profitable product even with modest sales numbers. The gaming market is very big, and I think there is plenty of room for gaming hardware that isnt trying compete with the Xbox and PlayStation, but instead catering to very specific sectors of the market. There are a lot of adults who knew what the NeoGeo was when they were kids, but there parents were not going to spend that kind of money on a gaming console. So the NeoGeo brand likely extends beyond those who did actually own the console back in the day. It would be neat if the new console really tried to go for the arcade experience at home, and used fight sticks instead of typical game pads. Regardless, I will be interested to see what they roll out.

Back