Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

One thing that just triggered my OCD is the fact that many books on the shelve share the same title :p
Most likely they took a shortcut which is understandable but it hits me
I wonder if there is a clue there

There is one book that doesnt appear to repeat itself and sticks out a bit. Cant make out the title
upload_2019-7-29_23-18-34.png

I take it back it's repeated on the other side

I don't know, I kind of like Kojimas bat shit insane stories. Makes them unique and has a certain style about them. If you don't like it fair enough but maybe it's not meant for you then.

Nobody was talking about the batshit insane stories. We were talking about bad writing.

Nobody was talking about the batshit insane stories. We were talking about bad writing.

Yes and I'm not going to deprive myself of those bat shit insane stories because of bad writing.

Some of my favorite movies have bad writing and it's forgivable because of the whole. That's even more relevant in games because of gameplay and Kojima delivers there for me.

Yes and I'm not going to deprive myself of those bat shit insane stories because of bad writing.

Some of my favorite movies have bad writing and it's forgivable because of the whole. That's even more relevant in games because of gameplay and Kojima delivers there for me.
What I loved about MGS games is that the story although bad shit insane, they blend elements from the real world and manage to pass or discuss subjects that should have either been pondered in a personal level or social level.
The subject of political corruption, how private interests promote the war economy, how the forces above control and exploit the people below, how social and personal identity are formed, importance of language in perceiving the world and how it is used as a method of control, the control of information, the formation of written history according to the demands of authority etc
I do not know any other series that managed to capture such subjects and develop them to such depth even if not perfect.

No one is telling you to deprive yourself of it. Ultimately, all comments are just opinions of random individuals on the internet who's views you are free to agrew with or completely dismiss.
Anyway, I'd assume most people posting here are interested on the game and are eagerly looking foward to playing it. I know I am. In fact that's why I complain about the things a perceive as flaws. I am going to play through it, and see a lot of potential and great aspects about it, that's why it pains me when other aspects feel cheap. Feels like lost potential.
Bad writing on games I don't like, on the other hand, are promptly ignored. In this way, this sort of nitpicking is a testament of people's interest. Perhaps, even a form of flatery.

I've had to stop the nitpicking because it was ruining way to many forms of entertainment for me. My work is very seasonal so I have a lot of downtime where I consume a lot of media.

No one is telling you to deprive yourself of it. Ultimately, all comments are just opinions of random individuals on the internet who's views you are free to agrew with or completely dismiss.

I know no one was telling me to deprive myself I was just saying I see the bad writing but everything else more than makes up for it for me.

One thing that just triggered my OCD is the fact that many books on the shelve share the same title :p
Most likely they took a shortcut which is understandable but it hits me
I wonder if there is a clue there

There is one book that doesnt appear to repeat itself and sticks out a bit. Cant make out the title
View attachment 3222

I take it back it's repeated on the other side

Probably memory limitation?

Kojima is kinda perfectionist, I don't think he'll allow the workers to "cut corners" other than due to tech reason

Kojima is kinda perfectionist, I don't think he'll allow the workers to "cut corners" other than due to tech reason

I'm sure that time constraints and money are real things, even in Kojima games. Repeating textures for assets isn't a big deal.

Well, making every book different sounds like a waste of time and resources he would have preferred going elsewhere.
It is really a pain in the ass to have a bookshelf with hundreds of books separately textured and modeled

Isn't usually he'll just keep delaying the game until the publisher force him to release?
As far as I know, MGSV was the only game that got very delayed and thats also due to the fact that his studio was developing a next gen engine, not just the game.

Can't the book spines be procedurally generated?

oh the long over-explanatory monogues... For all the aesthetical finesse kojima developed, his writing just doesn't seem to ever develop subtlety
Please enlighten us how this particular scene needs any kind of subtlety and this level of extreme nit pick only applies to Kojima and no one else.
Oh are you and few others against any kind of expository dialogue in games/movies/books?

Well, making every book different sounds like a waste of time and resources he would have preferred going elsewhere.
It is really a pain in the ass to have a bookshelf with hundreds of books separately textured and modeled

As far as I know, MGSV was the only game that got very delayed and thats also due to the fact that his studio was developing a next gen engine, not just the game.

Isn't Japanese devs well-known for "ridiculous attention to details" to "useless" stuff?

Like the one dude got obsessed with rocks, or with specific clothing detail that nobody will realize unless you freeze frame it and zoom 500%

As for delays, isn't MGS 3 or 4 (the one with octo camo) also got delayed and got the development "refocused" multiple times?

There's also metal gear rising that goes into development hell and finally got outsourced to platinum.

All just from what I remember tho, so take it with TONS of salt

Isn't Japanese devs well-known for "ridiculous attention to details" to "useless" stuff?

Like the one dude got obsessed with rocks, or with specific clothing detail that nobody will realize unless you freeze frame it and zoom 500%

I dont think this is the case always and in every single area in a game :p

I am curious about the rock example. Do you remember which game that is?

As for delays, isn't MGS 3 or 4 (the one with octo camo) also got delayed and got the development "refocused" multiple times?
I am not sure about 3 but 4 found development problems when Kojima overestimated the capabilities of the PS3. Initially it was aiming for 60fps and destructible environments plus other visual enhancements.
But we also got Portable Ops in 2006 and Peace Walker in 2010. His studio also released ZOE2 in 2003 two years after MGS2.

MGS3 was released three years after 2 which is not so unusual development time for a AAA game. MGS2 went through a couple of different directions and required a lot of research and experiments because the PS2 was new. They were initially planning to make the visuals mimic Yoji Shinkawa's art style but the results werent the best.

To me, the claim that Hideo was delaying his games too much is like an urban legend resulting from guesses for his sudden removal from Konami most likely by people who hated his guts because of his huge reputation and fanbase.

There's also metal gear rising that goes into development hell and finally got outsourced to platinum.

All just from what I remember tho, so take it with TONS of salt

Well that sounds mostly like an outlier. Considering his track record and what he was aiming for Revengeance (trying to cover Raiden's missing story that turned him into a Cyborg and saved Olga's daughter, plus an ambitious open world game, plus a technology that gave the ability to cut everything into pieces) probably proved to be a bigger challenge. Platinum streamlined the initial vision to a typical overblown action game that barely expanded the MGS universe properly.
The game was announced in 2009 a year before Peace Walker was released and handed over to Platinum in 2011.
The studio wasnt exactly in hiatus making just one game for half a decade.

Back