What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

The first one on vita was interesting but got boring fast

I never played the original and the sequel didn't appeal to me either but the review sites I read all gushed about DQB2 (and how the issues with DQB were resolved). It's an open world 'lite' RPG with vastly-better-than-Minecraft block construction mechanics with town planning and base-building logistics mechanics, if you these type of things you'll probably enjoy DQB2.

I never played the original and the sequel didn't appeal to me either but the review sites I read all gushed about DQB2 (and how the issues with DQB were resolved). It's an open world 'lite' RPG with vastly-better-than-Minecraft block construction mechanics with town planning and base-building logistics mechanics, if you these type of things you'll probably enjoy DQB2.
Care to elaborate a little over that or point to a review talking about it please?
The game is interesting but I can't really figure out how different it is from Minecraft or Terraria and whether it will be a massive time sink or a relevant game experience ^^

Care to elaborate a little over that or point to a review talking about it please?

I think Kotaku nailed it. Skim the written review, watch the - frankly weird - video review. Eurogamer's review is similar without the weird.

The game is interesting but I can't really figure out how different it is from Minecraft or Terraria and whether it will be a massive time sink or a relevant game experience ^^

I played Minecraft from late beta to a few years back, DQB2 is really nothing much like the Minecraft (survival mode) that I played. It's got a bunch of different gameplay elements that mesh together extremely well to the degree I lost around 7 or 8 hours on my first play. I don't play games for more than a couple of hours but it utterly grabbed me. There is construction and building, there is exploring, there are RPG elements (exploring, fighting, quests, levelling, gear, new abilities, skills, recipes etc) and there is base building..

Base-building is more than shoving up a few houses for folks to shelter from the rain and sleep. Level your base and your villagers will learn new skills, they become empowered to do things on their own, including building things. As long as they have the ability, resources and a means to do something, you can automate things like agricultural (farmers do the hard work), provisioning (cooks turn the farmed produce into actual good food), things like entertainment such as bars a lot with utilitarian things like baths and toilets. The happier they are they quicker you can progress. If you liked building things in Minecraft, DQB2 offers so much more in this regard, the graphics are charming and the number of items to craft, many of which have an actual purpose, is insane.

There are is a lot going on on DQB2 yet it feels very calm and serene to play. You can follow some missions, go exploring, go harvest some stuff, just tinker with the environment and rebuild the whole place. If I have a criticism is that the dialogue can be a bit wordy in places. It's not Hideo Kojima-long but some folks can prattle on for a minute or so which feels unnecessarily long.

There is a demo for DQB2, this really only scratches the surface of what the game offers but give it a try! :yes:

Man, I really need to get a Switch. Been wanting one for Zelda for the wife & I, but not for just one game. But that DQB2 looks cool. Bet my daughter would love it too. And I will never see it on the Xbox. ;)

Tommy McClain

Man, I really need to get a Switch. Been wanting one for Zelda for the wife & I, but not for just one game. But that DQB2 looks cool. Bet my daughter would love it too. And I will never see it on the Xbox. ;)

I played the demo on the Switch but bought it on PS4. It's' 60fps on PS4 but otherwise the two versions are very similar. I would have loved to get it on Switch but I had to use some vouchers so my purchase options were limited and I wasn't about to buy a cartridge! :runaway:

This is so the type of game that I would love to play on the go. Perhaps when it drops in price on the eStore I will double dip. :yes:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Good old-fashioned cooperative fun times. Love the looks and sounds of the characters. Shame about the rather bland environments, though. Seems like those carried right over from MUA2. The first game may have suffered slightly from overtly shiny cross-gen visuals, but it didn't have those kinds of problems.

Last edited:
Bought Diablo 3 during the Switch games summer sale. Fantastic port. Everyone keeps singing praises for Panic Button when it comes to Switch ports, but Iron Galaxy is doing some mighty spectacular work as well.

Finally playing God of War. Wow, what a phenomenal game ! I love it.

I really didn't expect it at all but the world is really big and the adventure and exploration reminds me of Ocarina of Time. And it's the most beautiful game ever, like Ocarina of time back then ! So yes you can have the best of both worlds.

On pro it mostly run at 60fps (except on the main hub). It has bigger vistas than Horizon and even RDR2. It's really the most technically impressive game of this generation IMO. I can't believe it hasn't got more technical analysis.

Wait, what? I don’t recall GOW running anywhere near 60fps. It was a very stable and smooth 30 but it was a while ago so I could be wrong. Either way, phenomenal game.

Wait, what? I don’t recall GOW running anywhere near 60fps. It was a very stable and smooth 30 but it was a while ago so I could be wrong. Either way, phenomenal game.
There is a performance mode on Pro running at 1080p. Except in the hub (where it runs in the forties-ish), it often runs at 50-60 elsewhere.

And that mode also greatly improves responsiveness, you should try it.

Bought Diablo 3 during the Switch games summer sale. Fantastic port. Everyone keeps singing praises for Panic Button when it comes to Switch ports, but Iron Galaxy is doing some mighty spectacular work as well.

Yeah, same. This is a tremendous port. And a fantastic game.

Finally playing God of War. Wow, what a phenomenal game ! I love it.

I really didn't expect it at all but the world is really big and the adventure and exploration reminds me of Ocarina of Time. And it's the most beautiful game ever, like Ocarina of time back then ! So yes you can have the best of both worlds.

On pro it mostly run at 60fps (except on the main hub). It has bigger vistas than Horizon and even RDR2. It's really the most technically impressive game of this generation IMO. I can't believe it hasn't got more technical analysis.
DF did go gaga at its technical achievements at the time and mentioned taking the techs to the next level on consoles :). And they were not wrong. The game constantly oozes out beauty, on my forth run now and I'm still taking in the visuals like I played it the first time.
godofwar_201805110159vpjr7.png

godofwar_20180513024123jc3.png

I'm quitting Morrowing. This time, for good. I'm fed up of stupid secondary quests and bugged quests which the game doesn't recognize you've completed. Yeah, the game is prettier than the previous games and the setting is charming and whatever, but I had a better time with the first one, honestly.

I hope that Oblivion is better, though.

I'm quitting Morrowing. This time, for good. I'm fed up of stupid secondary quests and bugged quests which the game doesn't recognize you've completed. Yeah, the game is prettier than the previous games and the setting is charming and whatever, but I had a better time with the first one, honestly.

I hope that Oblivion is better, though.
Morrowing or Morrowind?

Playing Diablo 3 (PC) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (Gamepass PC)

OMG, the first time I misspell it! :runaway:

You see?! This game stressed me out. :mrgreen:
it is a hardcore RPG, a very demanding game. I played the GOTY edition on the original Xbox and also have the PC version but it never got me hooked like Oblivion and Skyrim did, maybe just too much for me. I liked the first minutes though, how carefully you could select your personality traits. Fun stuff.

Fire Emblem: 3 houses. This has immediately catapulted to the top of my All Platform Game of the Year list. An absolutely amazing achievement in story and gameplay. IMO, the best game on NSW currently available. Hell, this might end up being #1 in my All Platform Game of the Decade list.

It has been years since I've been this addicted to a game and wanting to play it every spare moment I can.

Regards,
SB

Playing destiny 2 solstice.

Aaand.. Why are people so hyped with this update? It only brings ONE new mission

Fire Emblem: 3 houses. This has immediately catapulted to the top of my All Platform Game of the Year list. An absolutely amazing achievement in story and gameplay. IMO, the best game on NSW currently available. Hell, this might end up being #1 in my All Platform Game of the Decade list.

It has been years since I've been this addicted to a game and wanting to play it every spare moment I can.

Regards,
SB

Isn't that game have tons of boring long dialogue and if you skip it... You understand nothing?

Also exacerbated by the tiny fonts...

Same problem with DQB2 with its overly long dialogues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back