Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

Omg the uncanny Valley
IMO, I did not encounter this effect. It looks realistic, but still stylized enough to not trigger my brain. It looks like a nextgen "Fox Engine" game, same artstyle but much more detailed.

I still easily notice that Heartman is not breathing, a common deficiency of modern peformance capture. 90% of sensors are focused on the face. His chest and belly are static while he delivers his monologue.

oh the long over-explanatory monogues... For all the aesthetical finesse kojima developed, his writing just doesn't seem to ever develop subtlety
Yep. Unfortunately Kojima must think his games are highly valued because of his stories and characters. How wrong he is.

Story and dialogues were the worst thing in MGS5. I really fear Death Stranding becomes MGS4 2.0.

Yep. Unfortunately Kojima must think his games are highly valued because of his stories and characters. How wrong he is.

Unfortubately, many people DO like his excessive writing style, but I'd say that's not because it's actually very good, but because many gamers just haven't been exposed to much better. Many gamers love star wars, comic book heroes, anime etc. Their litetary bars aren't so high.

Story and dialogues were the worst thing in MGS5. I really fear Death Stranding becomes MGS4 2.0.

He doesn't realize that he in a real need of editor.

IIRC, he even dislike the localisation team "edited" his script in MGS1

Unfortubately, many people DO like his excessive writing style, but I'd say that's not because it's actually very good, but because many gamers just haven't been exposed to much better. Many gamers love star wars, comic book heroes, anime etc. Their litetary bars aren't so high.

Anime is the best example of those kinds of writings that Kojima do.

Unnatural dialogues and monologues, weird scenes, overly long exposition explanation (hello? I'm watching an Anime / playing a game. SHOW the dang thing, don't just blabber).

Although admittedly, it seems many people do like "overly long exposition".... At least from seeing "mikami" novels thats selling like hot cakes.

I like MGS1,2 and 3's narrative and dialogues. 1 and 2 are my favorite
MGS4 was tiring. MGS V was either too silent or too confused edit: but some rare parts in it I find them just genius

Last edited:

Last Kojima game I tried to play was mgs4 and I couldn't do it. Felt like a movie with gameplay mixed in. A very very bad movie. His games do usually have some inventive gameplay concepts, though not always executed perfectly. Aesthetically his games are strong. They always have a very cohesive vision. Death Stranding leaves me pretty skeptical of the gameplay, but it looks like it'll be very nice to look at.

I don't know, I kind of like Kojimas bat shit insane stories. Makes them unique and has a certain style about them. If you don't like it fair enough but maybe it's not meant for you then.

We’ll have to see what the execution is like. There is batshit crazy with good writing - which is brilliant - and then there is batshit crazy with batshit crazy bad writing, which isn’t very good. So far, from what I’ve seen of DS, I get a vibe belonging more to the second case than the first.

Back