Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how most people here are more than willing to throw out their current gear for the sake of chasing the new hotness, why the hell do you even care about a 100.000 hour lifespan.
I think my Plasma was rated something like 25K hours 'til half brightness. It died way earlier from an entirely unrelated defect unfortunately. Still lasted me almost 8 years.

25000 hours translates to almost 7 hours per day for ten straight years.

Last edited:
OLED for video game players never made sense to me, shrug.

No matter how much people try to downplay the burn in, RTings testing for example show it's very real.

Especially since they have brightness issues.

But OLED is the new Plasma in terms of internet fanboys, I get it.

No matter how much people try to downplay the burn in, RTings testing for example show it's very real.

Only in one very specific case for Rtings. Max Brightness with the same thing shown on screen 24/7.

The next worst case, calibrated for a home theater environment with the same thing show on screen 24/7, the burn in ends up still being better than the grey uniformity of almost all brand new out of the box top of the line LCD TVs.

In all other cases where the image is rotated or changed every few hours there was no permanent burn in with their testing.

Burn in can be an issue, but if anything, Rtings showed that for the vast majority of people it's a non-issue. Even for game players it's going to be a non-issue unless you do something like play the same MMO for 8-12 hours a day every day and don't play anything else on the TV. And even then if calibrated for a dimly lit room like what most MMORPG players play in :p, then after multiple years the grey uniformity will still be better than a brand new LCD TV.

Well, at least for the first 3-5 years. It's the 5-10 year period where I'm most concerned. But then it seems most people don't keep their TVs for 5-10 years.

Regards,
SB

They started getting uniformity issues in week 4 on a OLED tv running CNN set to 200 nits not max.

And that's I'm surprised they even allowed the tests as I'm sure they feared the backlash of telling the truth about it...I would wonder if they softened the test somehow knowing the backlash coming. Also, they ran 4 hours on 1 hour off repeated, so 20/24 hours not 24hrs straight.

They also did unrealistically easy testing for example Fifa they say they made sure little content was repeated (possibly in response to backlash about the test methodology and results from angry OLED fans I'm sure). In real life you would likely leave the Tv on the same image a good deal of the time for Fifa or any game that is played very heavily. I'm just thinking of myself and Destiny, I definitely leave TV on while I'm in orbit and walk away many times, so that same image of a ship in orbit is going to see a lot of time onscreen, as well to say nothing of the hud.... Then according to Rings burn in is cumulative. So 30 minutes 2 times is the same as one hour continuous, etc.

I just wouldn't risk it especially as expensive as OLED are. Movies, TV ok, Video Games...nah. But, that is just my opinion. Maybe if you do not play an MMO or other type of game with heavy playtime. Myself still no.

lol that's crazy they literally have cod and fifa on a loop 20 hours a day for over a year now and their uniformity looks totally fine, better than most lcd's will out of the box!

They started getting uniformity issues in week 4 on a OLED tv running CNN set to 200 nits not max.

And that's I'm surprised they even allowed the tests as I'm sure they feared the backlash of telling the truth about it...I would wonder if they softened the test somehow knowing the backlash coming. Also, they ran 4 hours on 1 hour off repeated, so 20/24 hours not 24hrs straight.

They also did unrealistically easy testing for example Fifa they say they made sure little content was repeated (possibly in response to backlash about the test methodology and results from angry OLED fans I'm sure). In real life you would likely leave the Tv on the same image a good deal of the time for Fifa or any game that is played very heavily. I'm just thinking of myself and Destiny, I definitely leave TV on while I'm in orbit and walk away many times, so that same image of a ship in orbit is going to see a lot of time onscreen, as well to say nothing of the hud.... Then according to Rings burn in is cumulative. So 30 minutes 2 times is the same as one hour continuous, etc.

I just wouldn't risk it especially as expensive as OLED are. Movies, TV ok, Video Games...nah. But, that is just my opinion. Maybe if you do not play an MMO or other type of game with heavy playtime. Myself still no.

Just checked and looks like they updated it on 5/31/2019.

So after 9000 hours of displaying only CNN you too will have permanent burn in even calibrated to 200 nits.

OTOH if you play 9000 hours of ONLY FIFA 18 or COD: WWII, you'll be mostly fine. :p They are exhibiting some uniformity issues at 9000 hours (over 3 years of 8 hours a day) of constant FIFA 18/COD:WWII which is still better than most brand new out of the box LCD TVs. For the more sane people that aren't planning on playing 9000 hours of the same game constantly, it's not going to be much of an issue. Hell, my most played game is Warframe, and I've only logged in ~2,500 hours in that game. But even with that game, I play it in a Window and the Window isn't in the same location all the time.

So again, the statement stands, other than people that watch something extremely static like CNN for thousands of hours, your chance of permanent burn in is extremely low. You'll likely have better screen uniformity after 3 years with an OLED than you will with a brand new LCD TV.

The Rtings burn in test as well as AVS forum owners who are using 7 series and 8 series OLED as PC monitors are the main reason I'm going to be experimenting with an OLED for PC use later this year.

Needless to say, if things go catastrophically bad, you all will be the first to hear about it. :)

Regards,
SB

I’m sure it’s a non issue really, but I just got traumatised after - I still vividly remember it - playing Persona 5, Bloodborne and FFXV. All with solid, permanent health bars and whatnot, all played for many, many hours with very few stops. And my old Plasma really suffered.

My Plasma had severe image retention issues. Something like a white health bar would be visible on the panel after as little as a couple of minutes. Thing is it would also vanish just as quickly. This kinda freaked me out in the beginning, but eventually I just forgot about it. Never had any permanent burn-in issues in the 7 or 8 years after that. Not worried about my Oled panel at all. I wouldn't be caught dead watching CNN anyways.

I'm still giving it another year or so before I upgrade the gaming display off the 54" 1080p Panny Plasma. Maybe even spring 2021 would be just about perfect from a technology standpoint. It feels like the current Oleds are like the earlier gen plasmas, and just an improvement two away from the last gen of plasmas where there are no issues to be concerned about.

I've had my two Panny Plasmas for over a decade each.

There's a good chance that the TVs available 5 years from now will be noticeably better than the one you buy now or next year.

But I don't know, we may be near a ceiling in terms of content image quality. UHD Blu-Rays will be a niche, for enthusiasts, while the bulk of the population will be satisfied with "good enough" streaming, just as 128kbps MP3 was "good enough" for millions.

They can push 8k like the Japanese are but in the US, they can't be arsed to deliver 4K HDR other than through streaming. ATSC 3.0 is in testing but they're not in a hurry to deliver highest PQ content. No great hurry to do live sports, which drove HD adoption.

If nothing else, the OLED you buy may suffer burn in but in 5 years, you will probably be able to get at least the same quality for much less. I guess 8K TVs will be more common then, if not universal. But I don't like trying to recycle a big hunk of electronics, for practical (it's a hassle) as well as ecological reasons.

OK, I was cleaning out my garage earlier today to recycle or donate some things to charity and pulled out one of my OLD CRT monitors (mid-90's I think it was).

Why is that relevant to this thread? Well, I just had to try it for shits and giggles before I recycled it, and lo and behold the phosphor burn in on the monitor was MUCH worse than I remember it being back in the 90's. Now I remember why screensavers were so popular. :)

If I still had my old TV from the late 70's/early 80's, I recall it also had permanent burn in from the Atari 2600. I wish I still had that so I could see how bad it was.

Regards,
SB

So I feel I have been a good boy and managed to not splurge on a new TV, but now my old 55" just died. So I am looking to get a new one.
I am feeling 4K, HDMI2.1 and HDR are the key points, since its mainly for gaming, I mostly watching streaming tv services, almost no broadcast tv and bd/dvd etc. Hence HDMI2.1 future proofing desires.
I have been trying to Google, but almost no tv's except for LG C9 seems to have the "important" bells and whistles in regards to HDMI 2.1. Anybody here that can point me to a site/list with more info?

Also its summer, I can probably go a couple of months before buying one. Or should I just go for dirt cheap one now and wait for 2020 models to get what I want?

So I feel I have been a good boy and managed to not splurge on a new TV, but now my old 55" just died. So I am looking to get a new one.
I am feeling 4K, HDMI2.1 and HDR are the key points, since its mainly for gaming, I mostly watching streaming tv services, almost no broadcast tv and bd/dvd etc. Hence HDMI2.1 future proofing desires.
I have been trying to Google, but almost no tv's except for LG C9 seems to have the "important" bells and whistles in regards to HDMI 2.1. Anybody here that can point me to a site/list with more info?

Also its summer, I can probably go a couple of months before buying one. Or should I just go for dirt cheap one now and wait for 2020 models to get what I want?

Some of LG's LCD sets have 2.1 as well. I'm not personally a fan of IPS panels, though.

rtings.com has been my goto for TV info for a while.

Edit: Here's a better answer to your question.

Argh, it's hard to exert willpower and not get a B8. They are dropping as low as 949 USD now. So hard to resist. Granted it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to own 2 OLED TVs. But my budget doesn't allow that. Have to hold out for when the 9 series starts to go on sale.

Hmmm, the list isn't entirely fully populated. For example, they don't mention that most of LG's OLED 9 series TVs support VRR.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Some of LG's LCD sets have 2.1 as well. I'm not personally a fan of IPS panels, though.

rtings.com has been my goto for TV info for a while.

Edit: Here's a better answer to your question.

Thanks, looks like the LG 9 series is the "best" ones at the moment. Guess I will have to make a choice when autumn comes around and the darkness sets in. But my gut feeling is to wait for 2020 models unless the LGs gets discounted. Hopefully there will be more sets to choose from with "full" HDMI 2.1 compliance/feature set in 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back