What Anime are you watching now?

I finished xxxHolic Kei. I love the characters, specially Yuuko. She's so intelligent, beautiful, mysterious and powerful. I mean, look at this:
e685a7dbe00c55485bcfa67843b2536c.jpg

4436595_640px.jpg

So, before watching any more xxxHolic stuff, I found out that Tsubasa is in the same universe and connects the main characters of both Cardcaptor Sakura and xxxHolic, so now I'm watching Tsubasa Chronicle and it's amazing! Look who's here (the dude on the right):​
xxxHolic-Wallpaper-3-xxxholic-2666910-1024-768.jpg

How to ruin one of the coolest, best anime in 12 episodes. Season 2 has been literally the worst, and even more so next to S1 which was pure awesomeness.
The kung-fu contest announcer was by far the best part of season 2 and possibly the greatest thing ever animated.*

* Exaggeration added to lessen disappointment of short season.

Enjoying Tsubasa Chronicle, even though some things could be done in one or two episodes but it seems they will always use three for each of Sakura's wings feathers the main characters have to find.
---------------
Oh, and one thing I HATE about animes are unfinished sentences. The typical "demo/watashi... watashi................. (nothing)". Yeah, sure, sometimes this can happen in real life, but holy fuck, speak UP!

I really liked Log Horizon S1:yes: I'm now watching Accel World.
I had trouble getting in to Accel World just from the first episode's visit to the alternate reality and his avatar, but man does it pick up fast and get good and I am so glad I didn't give up on it!

If you liked the SAO stuff, Accel World is sort of required and will be a real treat to you once you get it. They're set in the same universe, just different time periods. Everything in Accel World is well after the stuff in SAO, but it references it which gave me smiles. :)

I had trouble getting in to Accel World just from the first episode's visit to the alternate reality and his avatar, but man does it pick up fast and get good and I am so glad I didn't give up on it!

I also had trouble getting into Accel World. The first episode is a complete mess and I'm not a fan of inconsistent art styles. I get that Haru is supposed to be short and fat but he's drawn disproportionately different to other characters. I'm also not keen on how they chose to express his emotions in such a bizarre slapstick comedic style.

That said, I'm about 15 episodes in and loving it. I'm late in appreciating anime but now I'm here I am looking forward to a very strong back catalogue to binge on. :mrgreen:

edit: typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MC and the human interaction in that Anime is too bizzare for me.

I'm fine when everything is simply bonkers tho (e.g. Jojo)

I also had trouble getting into Accel World. The first episode is a complete mess and I'm not a huge of inconsistent art styles. I get that Haru is supposed to be short and fat but he's drawn disproportionately different to other characters. I'm almost not keen on how they chose to express his emotions in such a bizarre slapstick comedic style.

That said, I'm about 15 episodes in and loving it. I'm late in appreciating anime but now I'm here I am looking forward to a very strong back catalogue to binge on. :mrgreen:

There are so many good animes. You've probably seen these already as they are classics of the genre, but just in case you haven't. Make sure you check out Cowboy Bebop (music and story is soooooo good), Trigun, and Full Metal Alchemist. Full Metal Alchemist is kind of complex however. Most people recommend skipping the first series, but that would be a shame. The first series covers the book faithfully up until about the halfway point where they had to start making stuff up as the book hadn't gotten that far yet. The second series follows the book the entire way, but it skips the content from the books that the first series covered.

The Hellsing Ultimate series (this follows the books more closely than the original anime) is absolutely bonkers good. Occult Academy is one of my personal favorites but kinda niche. I love the art direction and time travel sub plot in the occult backdrop.

FLCL is an absolutely bonkers anime that is so short but so good. It has a unique art style and unique animation style. [edit] oh crap, I just noticed they added FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative recently. I only watched the original series. Now I have to check out the others and hope they are as good.[/edit]

Samurai Champloo has fantastic animation style and a great and sometimes really sad story. And the music is sooo good.

Crap, I need to stop here or I'll end up writing multiple pages of recommendations. My brain is running about a billion miles per hour right now with all the good anime that is out there.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
There are so many good animes. You've probably seen these already as they are classics of the genre, but just in case you haven't. Make sure you check out Cowboy Bebop (music and story is soooooo good), Trigun, and Full Metal Alchemist. Full Metal Alchemist is kind of complex however. Most people recommend skipping the first series, but that would be a shame. The first series covers the book faithfully up until about the halfway point where they had to start making stuff up as the book hadn't gotten that far yet. The second series follows the book the entire way, but it skips the content from the books that the first series covered.

Thanks for these suggestions - a couple of which I have on my list became they seem to popup on everybody's "must watch" list.

Once I'm through with Accel World and caught up on Attack on Titan S3 and Log Horizon S2 then I'm be deciding whether to dive into Cowboy Bebop, Claymore, Code Geass, Naruto Shippuden, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood or Gundam Seed Destiny.

Crap, I need to stop here or I'll end up writing multiple pages of recommendations. My brain is running about a billion miles per hour right now with all the good anime that is out there.

I'll check out your other suggestions, thanks again! :yes:

Sorry if they’ve been mentioned, but adding to SB’s recommendations:

Berserk (the 1997 version) is a must if you like Ninja Scroll (violent and twisted). It’s really good but really messed up, and it stops in the middle of the manga (which may be a blessing in disguise, as that takes the escalator all the way down). It’s dark and unrelenting.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, if you liked the movies.

And, uh, Death Note.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Trigun are generally more light-hearted than the above. FLCL is just zany. All are great.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins Gate, Full Metal Panic, definitely all of Ghost in the Shell, and the Magical Index and Railgun series. :)

I'll recommend more as they come to me. The first two I was specific with because the first is pretty short but excellent and already considered a classic and the second because it's also not too long but EXCELLENT!

Code Geas is gonna rock your world, 'nuff said. I'll gladly give it a recommend, I hear a sequel is coming out soon too.

Naruto and Full Metal Alchemists are some serious time commitments, and if you do watch Naruto or Bleach I'd suggest you check a guide or wiki to see which episodes are canon and which are filler, because both have a LOT of un-necessary filler that you can just skip and enjoy the series more.

I finished Tsubasa Chronicle.
Pros:
- More mature themes than in Card Captor Sakura.
- The score.
- The story is interesting and gives Card Captor Sakura another perspective, since it explains how all worlds are connected (including that of xxxHolic).
- The characters.

Cons:
- Even though I liked the music, it can be quite repetitive. I don't think it's a good idea to repeat the formula "melancholic moment + slow images + same music" almost every episode.
- Card Captor Sakura was more entertaining because we got to see Sakura in action rather than just being rescued or passing out. CCS was an energetic anime and the variety of cards and ways of Sakura to get them was well balanced.
- The "whoah" Sakura does every time she absorbs one of her feathers. She looks and sounds on drugs, and the utterance sounds really annoying.
- Since the begging of this 52 episodes, 2 season anime, the bad guys say that soon they would do something with that Syaoran clone they have in a water tank (or whatever that is)... and they do nothing worth mentioning, really.

Now I'll watch the OVAs.

And I just watched the Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations, a 3 episode OVA that is set just after the events of the last episode of the anime, and WOW! Much more mature (little spoiler: blood, Sakura holding and firing a revolver, etc.) and well done.

I think I just have one OVA left.

Aaaaaaand I just watched the last OVA and WTF. Very well done, as well, but
nobody is who you think it is and it gets so confusing regarding this and everybody's motives, etc.

Now I'm supposed to watch another OVA to follow the story BUT it's not a Tsubasa OVA, but a xxxHolic OVA (Rou), before continuing with another xxxHolic anime (Rou Adayume).

It's fun, but confusing and exhausting, but fun, but confusing... :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

I watched xxxHolic Rou. OMG and little spoiler: :cry::cry:. I'll say no more.

EDIT: and I just watched xxxHolic Rou Adayume. Again, OMG and noooooooooooo!

Isn't here anyone by any chance that has watched all of it or read all the manga? Because I have some questions I'd like to discuss.

Last edited:
Yeah, the lead character was really off-putting for me too for a while...but that's also what makes him so great you later realize. :D

Finished Accel World. The series ended at just the right point in the story for me. I kind of want more, but there is a risk of disappointment. I was not a big fan of series 3 of Sword Art Online. I get the whole point was to tell a different story in a way that mostly meant focussing on new characters but I liked the established characters and narrative in SAO and they got so little time on screen in S3 that it was disappointing. By the finale it looks as though things may rebound in the second-half of the reason later this year.

Next up is Log Horizon S2 or Attack on Titan S3. Decisions, decisions...

Fairy Gone.

It's set on another world where a kind of magical creatures called "fairies" exist and can be implanted in the human body as an organ, so that you can summon them to fight for you. The looks are like the end of the XIX century, or early XX century. I like the story, the style and the animation, but I don't like the modern hard rock music and the characters seem a bit flat, at the moment.

Last edited:
I just want to say that the quality of this anime is very high. I think it surpasses the best thing I've seen in the Fate series. The drawing and the animation are top notch, but specially the drawing: the characters are very detailed and those details are well preserved when they move.

I don't like the story as much as than I liked Fate's, however.

Back