Advanced Audio Technologies (HRTF, Dolby Atmos, etc) *echo*

thanks for sharing, I tried the tests... My tranquil and calm life in these forgotten mountains seem to pay off in a way, my hearing is still okay. I got an above average score on the combinations of numbers test with background noise. After 15KHz I hear nothing though.

I feel for deejays.... 4 years ago I went to a nightclub in the city where the disc jockey had been working for years and he looked like he was in his 50s. The level of treble he applied to the sound could destroy your ears, and the guy was so calm playing the music.

I was there for a while, I did bear with it but it got to a point where I asked my girlfriend if we could leave and listen to music in a different place because I had to cap my own ears with my fingers, when I didn't oh my the shrieking sound... It was a pity 'cos my gf cousins where there and we were having fun, but even they complained
Hearing damage is sneaky. Typically it is a progressive change over many years, and you have no point of reference - what you hear is what is there, right? So once you become aware, the damage is often fairly pronounced, and it will only get worse with time.
It used to be that military and musicians, along with certain heavy industry workers were the worst off, but headphone listening has been a great equaliser in terms of hearing damage. Now everyone can have it. As long as you can hear conversation you are socially OK though, which is what's most important. As Shifty pointed out, nobody out of kindergarten can hear the highest frequencies, but sensitivity can still be really good. Once sensitivity vs. frequency vs. levels is getting really wonky, your brain start having problems correctly interpreting the input.
Moral - simply avoid too high SPLs, and check your hearing properly if you notice signs that something might be off.

Oh, and STAX ear speakers. :)

As ever, I'm a frickin' outlier again. Would be nice to sit comfortably in the centre of the bell curve just once! TBH I'm surprised as I thought I might score a little low as I do have trouble making out what people are saying at times. Although that's without noise. Maybe my 'hearing good diction against noise' is great, but my ability to understand ordinary folk is rubbish? I bet I score bottom 5th percentile in making out song lyrics!
This is a really important aspect of hearing you are delving into here - that it is a capture and interpretation system. The brain does a lot of work, and your personality such as how easily you drift off in your own thoughts or get distracted by visual or auditory input, or for that matter if you are a trained listener all plays a large role in how much of what your ears pick up that your mind is aware of and can make sense of.

I think most adults have had the experience of for instance a ventilation system turning off, and you feel how your whole system just relaxes in relief even though you weren't consciously aware of the noise. The brain is a huge part of hearing.

thanks for sharing, I tried the tests... My tranquil and calm life in these forgotten mountains seem to pay off in a way, my hearing is still okay. I got an above average score on the combinations of numbers test with background noise. After 15KHz I hear nothing though.
That's normal and not an issue of damage. It's a cool feature of getting older that allows you to play a high frequency tone on a mobile device and drive children scatty while being perfectly at peace yourself.

I think most adults have had the experience of for instance a ventilation system turning off, and you feel how your whole system just relaxes in relief even though you weren't consciously aware of the noise. The brain is a huge part of hearing.

My first thought is always "Save. SAVE. SAVE your work. The power is about to go out." Followed by "Just great, the AC just died." Those are about the only time it's not running, when at work.

This is a really important aspect of hearing you are delving into here - that it is a capture and interpretation system. The brain does a lot of work, and your personality such as how easily you drift off in your own thoughts or get distracted by visual or auditory input, or for that matter if you are a trained listener all plays a large role in how much of what your ears pick up that your mind is aware of and can make sense of.

This is so true and totally misunderstood by many. My "hearing is good for my age" yet in a busy room like a bar or canteen I cannot hear anyone except the person to my side or directly opposite.

I really suffer in translating the speech sounds I hear into the correct words, or even any words.

Phone calls can be very difficult as it's usually loud on my side and I cannot see the person, so even the phone at full volume I feel like it's really hard to hear them.

Sorry not a therapy thread? :runaway:

I can't figure out if the Headphone:X also does downmixing of multichannel audio, like Atmos does.

Back