PC Game Pass, now includes EA Play! [PCGP, XGP:PC]

I'm going to guess it's by share of downloads + playtime for games. Then perhaps adjusted based on either MSRP or street price for the game.

The share will likely be based off the average non-promotional price of a subscription with MS subsidizing any difference between the regular subscription price and promotional subscription price.

It's probably more involved than that, but that's likely a good place to start. For example, perhaps share is also normalized based on how long an "average" playtime for the game is.

MS may also be kicking in an upfront payment in addition to residual payments so if a game doesn't get played much, the developer still gets something. There may also be a minimum monthly payment for having the game on the service if the game doesn't get played enough to generate noticeable income for the developer.

The important thing is that, at least so far, the vast majority of developers that are involved with it have been very happy with how MS is handling the service.

I did find this quote from the article interesting.

Microsoft has said, however, it thinks subscription packages will continue to co-exist with other ways of selling games. "We don't have a goal of being the subscription where you get all your content," head of gaming services Ben Decker told GI in response to the aforesaid editorial. "This is meant to be additive to the ecosystem. We don't see a future where subscriptions are dominant. We see a future where customers have choice between a subscription and purchase-to-own, where there's a mixed ecosystem because that's what customers want, and that's what developers want."

Basically, if it makes sense to have your game on a subscription service do it. If it doesn't then don't. MS aren't going to try to force the issue.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I thought the point was there were no purchases it was a pay a subscription and have access to everything deal

They also offer discounts if you buy a game while it's on gamepass.

Tried Sea of Thieves again tonight and tried my luck with a group. Ended up with a great couple of folks and played for 3 hours or so with them.

I thought the point was there were no purchases it was a pay a subscription and have access to everything deal
in that sense I gotta say that MS are very considerate with the user, because they get the same share from sales as Steam, but with Gamepass, if you buy the game, they only get 10% of the cut, and the remaining 20% is the discount the user always gets when they buy a game included in the Game pass

Tried Sea of Thieves again tonight and tried my luck with a group. Ended up with a great couple of folks and played for 3 hours or so with them.
I've already downloaded Middle-earth: Shadows of War! For my 20-25MB 98GB connection are quite a few, but well, it's bearable, if I had 3 MBs like a year ago it would be better to throw myself out the window.

The one I'm loving, combining it with Tyranny Gold Edition -this game got me totally hooked-, is Rise of the Tomb Raider, at 1080p 60fps, seeing Lara's hair with Pure Hair on, uffffffffff, it's marvelous!

Figured, I already said too much about XGP-PC in the "What am I playing now." thread. :p

But I wanted to keep going and say I think Microsoft hit it out of the park by having so many indie titles on the platform. I likely wouldn't be having nearly as much fun in what little free time I currently have if all that was there were AAA games. But so many of the indie titles there offer not only LOTS of gameplay, but they can be easily done in small sessions while still feeling like you accomplished something.

Eventually I'll get to those AAA games I installed (Metro: Exodus and something else I can't even remember :p), but the indie titles are the real gems. Hopefully, Microsoft remains committed to getting quality indie titles on the service...and not just that but that they treat the indie devs well.

That said, the client is still horribly sub-par compared to Steam. Like why does it keep asking me to minimize every time I launch a game? I don't want it to minimize, and there's no checkbox or anything to "not show this message again." Argh. Oh well.

Regards,
SB

Question for anyone playing games on the service.

Have you tried applying mods to any of the games you are playing? Does the service allow games to be modded? I don't generally use mods, but have thought about using some with My Time in Portia.

Regards,
SB

I assume there is at least an upfront flat fee. If devs are really happy, there may be the potential for bonus payments if a game blows up on the service? That has already struck me as the risky part, underselling yourself to be on the subscription if your game becomes a breakout hit where you don't actually reap the windfall.

Question for anyone playing games on the service.

Have you tried applying mods to any of the games you are playing? Does the service allow games to be modded? I don't generally use mods, but have thought about using some with My Time in Portia.

Regards,
SB
I haven't. Still..., MS clearly stated that they are going to add mod support and ditch the UWP model, but that feature is not available now.

Mother of god! Darn it!!!!!!!! Rise of the Tomb Raider at 1080p 60fps, Lara with Pure Hair on, headphones and Dolby Atmos sound, is scary good! I've fallen in love with Lara for the 2nd time. Blessed is the womb that bore her.

edit: @Silent_Buddha, Imperator: Rome allows mods, if you use a Paradox account you can choose mods.

For each game you try to install, it’ll give a prompt for choosing a drive. There’s no specific folder option though.

OK, so it looks like game updates on Gamepass for PC don't just happen once a month. Just noticed that in addition to Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night that someone mentioned being added, they also recently added Shadow Warrior 2 (been wanting to try this out for quite a while now).

That's in addition to other titles that were added this month already (Gears 5 among others). This is fantastic, even if I don't have a prayer of being able to play everything they add that I want to try.

Don't know how Microsoft are doing it. But damn, definitely no regrets in keeping my subscription.

Regards,
SB

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/09...ber/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_dlo_9.24.1

Saints Row IV, Dirt Rally 2, Cities Skylines, Bad North

TWPC_Coming_Soon_9.19_940x528-1.jpg

Back