Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

And on the topic of 3 people co-oo... What's up with that? I feel like a bunch of games this E3 announced 3-player modes. Which was never a thing before. Why is that?

Thanks Destiny. :p

(I do recall War for Cybertron having 3p co-op way back when, which was really odd to me at the time - damn, now I feel like replaying... also going through the IDW comics at the moment)

They ought to have a button that just auto-populates the entire map up to the maximum number of enemies with some sort of percentage distribution (user selectable) between enemy types as opposed to having to go in manually per room.

Like... "I want 50% of the enemies to be juvies, 25% Scions, 25% mainline troops. Surprise me."

Could use a room tile for boss fights too, but I suppose the intention is simply gtfo.

----
Game could use a photomode too.

Last edited:
Gears 5 Tech Test is up for pre-loading. On the OneX it shows around 10.89 GB and a Ready to Start point around 4.63 GB. Showed a few of the expected Logos and then gave a choice of "You can play a mode sooner by choosing to install it first" with options of Campaign or Multi-Player.

The sound of ice fracturing is oddly soothing (intro logo). Like the space ice in Titan A.E.

Not if you happen to be on the frozen ice on a lake and can hear the sound coming towards you and then see a crack shoot in between your legs. Happened to me when ice fishing. It was still perfectly safe as the ice was ~12 inches thick at the time, but OMG is it disconcerting in the extreme. :)

Regards,
SB

Gears 5 technical test is up since yesterday. Hearing good things. Anyone here try it yet?

Been real busy lately haven't had a chance but saw this campaign test.
Not sure if impressed by the flat lighting and low poly geometry. I thought the reveal trailer and snippets of gameplay looked far better than this stress test.

Game is very clean. Image quality on 4K60 on X1X is very impressive. Quite surprised it managed to hold this level of fidelity at this resolution and image clarity.

Among the games I’ve played on X1X, RDR2 included, this is among the cleanest. Crystal clear.

Last edited:
Been real busy lately haven't had a chance but saw this campaign test.
Not sure if impressed by the flat lighting and low poly geometry. I thought the reveal trailer and snippets of gameplay looked far better than this stress test.
Cutscenes and gameplay aren’t the same.

The move to 60 FPS even for campaign was a huge win here. Honestly that felt really good. Oh Destiny. I wish so badly for you to be 60 on console. Le sigh.

Is it me or do the visuals seem kinda downgraded compared to what they showed originally?

I played it yesterday for a few hours.
I found it profoundly difficult to hit anything.
You need an elite controller to be competitive.

The network was stable (100Mb cable for me) and the game seemed to have a consistent framerate on my XB1S. It's not really a "looker", but it's fine.

So there isnt anything related to the main campaign circulating?
I am very surprised how MS diluted one of their most powerful franchises.
Back in the 360 days the first 3 Gears games were top notch spectacle killer apps. It was the reason I got a 360. From Judgement onwards the franchise weakened.

Why would they have to do a Technical Test for Campaign? There's no reason to circulate anything related to Campaign, no reason to let Spoilers ruins initial impressions either.

Back