Is SW Galaxy's Edge the theme park equivalent of releasing unfinished games to sell DLC later on?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

I have a couple of friends crossing the Atlantic this late August for a vacation in the US.
I was in equal parts super jealous and super happy for them because they're Star Wars fans like me and their travel plan involved being in L.A. a couple of days to go to the brand new SW Galaxy's Edge theme park.

Turns out they started watching reviews and.. they decided they're not going?
Then I watched some reviews myself to prove them wrong and... I think they shouldn't go either?

It seems Galaxy's Edge is a theme park on Disneyland where people can go to a total of one (1, uno) ride, the Millennium Falcon Smuggler's Run.

And then we watch the typical "10 best things to do in Galaxy's Edge" articles and videos and there's the Millennium Falcon... and then there's "you need to spend $200 on building your lightsaber", "you need to spend $100 on building your droid", "you need to pay for food at this themed restaurant", "you need to pay for this blue milkshake", "you need to go to this toy store and pay for stuff there".

According to the reviews the Millennium Falcon ride is great, but it's the only thing you can do without spending more money, other than watching a couple of stage plays.

What the fuck, Disney? You're charging an entrance fee for what, the privilege of entering an overpriced Star Wars themed mall?

Anyone who wants the full "Galaxy's Edge" experience needs to pay $150 for the entrance, plus $200 for building the lightsaber, plus $100 for building the droid, plus over $100 for eating in places A and B, drinking some milkshakes with artificial food coloring and buying more theme park exclusive merchandise?

Were they seriously expecting for many people to spend over $500 in one day on Star Wars?

This sounds terribly similar to the FIFAs and Battlefronts where people pay full price up front for the game ($150 entrance fee) but then they'll need to spend hundreds more to get all the rosters / characters / vehicles.
Are the Disney theme parks learning from EA or something?

And how the hell do you fuck up a Star Wars theme park with having only one ride? They couldn't think of anything else?
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter rollercoaster similar to space mountain;
A T-47 3D ride about shooting at AT-STs and tying up the legs of AT-ATs on Hoth;
Rollercoaster about riding a speeder bike on Endor;
Piloting a pod racer in a 3D ride;
Loads of interactive stuff using VR or AR like laser-tag with blasters empire vs. resistance, or a lightsaber learning class.

What did they spend the bulk of those $1B on? Restaurants and stores?

Ok, so now I get my confusion.
It's not a theme park, it's another "land", an annex to the existing theme park.

Still, what a disappointment.
:(

I am not proud to admit but my cruel bully side is happy to know your man-children friends are not going to their stupid man-children land place thing.

Lol @ the ark. Is that thing still open?

They might be going 1 day to Universal Studios instead, since they already are scheduled to be 4 days at Disneyworld Orlando later on. They might even catch Galaxy's Edge already open at the Disneyworld.

Good News
They can visit something even more awesome

Changed for increased comedy

Haha well well well that's one of the many things I like from people on the "West".

If you do that kind of video in my country, you'll be thrown with stones, goes to jail, etc.

Heck, you are not even supposed to think about those kinds of topics. You should just blindly believe anything and ride the anger of the masses.

Btw I wonder, that kind of "attraction" was categorised as what? If its a religious spot or something, they won't need to pay tax?

Haha well well well that's one of the many things I like from people on the "West".

If you do that kind of video in my country, you'll be thrown with stones, goes to jail, etc.

Heck, you are not even supposed to think about those kinds of topics. You should just blindly believe anything and ride the anger of the masses.

Btw I wonder, that kind of "attraction" was categorised as what? If its a religious spot or something, they won't need to pay tax?

As long as it is a non-profit organization. Most religious institutes of any kind are treated as non-profit.

Not just religious entities but secular (non-religious) entities abuse the system.

Regards,
SB

As long as it is a non-profit organization. Most religious institutes of any kind are treated as non-profit.

Not just religious entities but non-religious (atheist) entities abuse the system.

Regards,
SB

Hmm I need an ELI5 of non profits and volunteers. They still get money, pay money...

Now googling

Check out some the hospital nonprofits in the US. Where the directors get paid millions. It's awesome.
or uber where theres no profits, but the executives earn millions, who knows maybe without thee expenses they would actually make a profit :oops:?

Hmm I need an ELI5 of non profits and volunteers. They still get money, pay money...
A non-profit company is simply a company that cannot post profits above a relatively low threshold.

That said, a non-profit can give millionaire salaries to its workers. So if a non-profit gets e.g. $50 million in revenue and spends only $3 million in materials, production, distribution, etc. then the company must redistribute the remaining $47 million into salaries, bonuses, new equipment acquisitions, company cars, etc.
So yeah, you can get very rich running a non-profit.

AFAIK not every company is valid for a non-profit status though.

Yes, I already knew about this. There is a reason Disneyland attendance has been steadily dropping. It is hugely overpriced! I was in Orlando three years ago and did not bother with it. The Universal Parks though are decently priced and even the food was not crazily expensive. Plus they have really good rides, the spiderman one and the Harry potter's are seriously impressive. The Jurassic Park area is quite good as well. Tell them that is very worth it to spend 2 days in both Universal Parks! I'll be very jealous as I would love to go again, but waiting on Trump being out of the presidency lol. Had a bad "reception" at the airport, most likely because of my Latino look and that was in Obama's time...

Back