Legend
Wants:
SD card slot
Removable battery
Decent camera (as good as LG g5)
Fingerprint reader
USB c

Is there such a phone ?

My LG g5 camera broke and will not focus. The wide angle camera is fine, but I need the regular camera sometimes. I know the LG v20 exists. I don't know about the moto g5, haven't been able to find them for sale much and don't know about camera quality. Is there any other phones I am overlooking? It seems impossible to find decent phones like this. I hate the buy and discard nature of phones, especially when I could not care less about them by and large. I just use them when I cannot use a computer, otherwise I only want to use android auto, phone text and camera

Last edited:
What do you mean by internal replaceable. When I last did that it involved heat gun, double sided tape razor blades and picks. It was a huge hassle and when done it turned out I had previously bent the frame so it kept poping back open. If the battery is easy to replace that is fine, but most phones seem to self destruct if you try to open them up.

What do you mean by internal replaceable. When I last did that it involved heat gun, double sided tape razor blades and picks. It was a huge hassle and when done it turned out I had previously bent the frame so it kept poping back open. If the battery is easy to replace that is fine, but most phones seem to self destruct if you try to open them up.

xiaomi redmi note series use "pop-off" back cover. Inside it, you can find the internal battery have "pull tabs" that you can pull to "dislodge" the battery. It also have "reseatable" ribbon cable.

EDIT: my bad, redmi note 7 need to use heat gun

the last one without the need of heatgun was redmi note 5 or 6

LG is pretty much it for US. Samsung has the j8 duo, but they don't sell it in the US. Or some older motorola might still be selling.

Glass backs and wireless charging have apparently trumped battery swapping.

I don't need to swap. I just don't want to throw away the phone when battery goes bad. A replacement oem battery for v20 is like $20 and the third party are like $10. I will look at the older redmi phones. Something like that is totally fine with me.

I had my iphone 6 plus’ battery replaced for 50 euro while waiting. Did wonders for its performance too.

Absolutely nothing on Sprint has an easily replaceable battery and any sort of decent feature set. It's one of the biggest compromises I've had to make, and I HATE it.

I don't remember the last phone I had with a replaceable battery, but after way too much searching I found it. The LG Mach.

I loved that phone. Replaceable battery, slide out keyboard for old foggies like me with fat fingers, and it just worked. When the battery started dying/getting bulgy it was just $7 from Amazon for a new one with better life and I kept a couple back ups. :)

Really wish they'd make another like it, but with modern features while still retaining keyboard and replaceable battery. The Pixel 3a XL I just got doesn't even have an SD card on it, but I don't need one so it's ok...but man I'd love to have a phone that I don't feel I'm compromising on for a change.

I did find something neat though since you posted this thread that I think I'm gonna get, so my deepest thanks. They got this neat bluetooth backlit keyboard with stand that acts as cover on Amazon for only $26us that would serve my keyboard jonesing perfectly with my new phone as well as a nice little stand.

My wife might get mad, but thanks! :D

STUPID QUESTION SINCE I ACCIDENTALLY DOUBLE-DOSED MY ADHD MEDS AND THEY'RE MAKING ME LIKE A BEAR IN THE WOODS WHO FOUND A SUITCASE OF COCAINE AND HAD NO ONE TO TALK TO:

A couple of my friends have been bugging me to add that referral thing to all the Amazon lists I post so that if anyone buys the stuff I list they give me a cut or something. It doesn't seem appropriate to the forum here or on Facebook since I only use that to stay in touch with friends I otherwise couldn't. Is that stupid of me, just following etiquette, or my perpetual moral guilt at the idea of ripping anyone off in anyway. (People, not corporations. Differents.)

Sorry if it's a slight derail, feel free to just PM me about it or bust it up. I think I'm gonna go clean the walls and climb up 'em and do the ceiling while I'm at it, I HATE when I take too much bloody adderal, my apologies for the babble. :p

BTW - My daughter is watching this thread with interest, she in to phones and still has her S7 edge and an upgrade available at Sprint so she's playing her waiting game now for a model to come out that we can get for basically free that she likes, and anything with a replaceable battery sounds like heaven to her to. The last one she had with one was her Note 4 and gods she loved it.

In fairness, the S7 Edge battery life never really faded on me much over my 2 years with the phone and neither my son or daughter is having or complaining about trouble with battery life. They both have the opportunity to upgrade to what I have, but are playing it smart and waiting for the next best deal. :)

(I'm proud of how picky/analytical/comparative they are about shopping for any kind of hardware or anything else for that matter, they do their homework online first. I must have done something right.)

A couple of my friends have been bugging me to add that referral thing to all the Amazon lists I post so that if anyone buys the stuff I list they give me a cut or something. It doesn't seem appropriate to the forum here or on Facebook since I only use that to stay in touch with friends I otherwise couldn't. Is that stupid of me, just following etiquette, or my perpetual moral guilt at the idea of ripping anyone off in anyway. (People, not corporations. Differents.)

IIRC, there's a referral link you can use so that B3D here gets some money when you buy things at Amazon, so that might be an option. :) I've never used it since I can never remember where it was that I saw it mentioned here. Hmmm, now that I think about it, maybe it was only for Amazon.UK?

Regards,
SB

Back