Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Snip by Joystick at Era.
G: What we saw there that's running on prototype hardware of what Scarlett will look like?
A: Halo Infinite is running in the slipstream engine that's actually in engine, in game

G: And is that a quality level...
A: That's in game, that's actually in game footage

G: And at the scale that's running on Scarlett hardware?
A: We're working on getting the dev kits out for Scarlett and performance and all that, so I don't think we want to say this is what Scarlett spec looks like quite yet but the nice thing about Scarlett, huge increase in processing power, that's going to enable us to deliver not just native 4K but also 120 frames, we talked about being 40x faster with a solid state drive... so not just graphical improvements

@Ike Turner can't fault Digital Foundry when MS own people are stating Slipstream (@1:12).

Halo Infinite, the game that improves work productivity at the office, while gaming at home in your underwear. :oops::runaway:

Last edited:
Thought this explanation(thread of 6 messages) of the trailer & what both characters bring to the new vision in Halo Infinite...

Tommy McClain

This gives me a little more hope that 343i finally really gets it and they are leaving the bullshit politics of the Halo-verse behind.

Master Chief, prior to 343i taking, was always about being a beacon of hope for humanity. But not a perfect/godlike one. He was quiet and confident and not boastful or arrogant. He was able to not view the enemy as just villains but able to see that there were also "people" on the other side that were honorable and worth teaming up with and saving.

Humanity was worth saving, even if at times it meant sacrificing some elements of human kind (the rebels) for the greater good of stability for the masses of human kind.

All of the power that was at his disposal was never used for personal gain. It was always used to help others...for humanity and eventually for the covenant as well.

Then 343i happened. I'm still not going to get too hopeful, but I at least have some hope that 343i get's it now. But story and setting are only part of it. They still need to get as good with the mechanics, AI, and miscellaneous things (guns on the ground disappearing when moving over an invisible line ARGH!!@#!@#!@#) as when Bungie was at the helm.

Regards,
SB

G: And at the scale that's running on Scarlett hardware?
A: We're working on getting the dev kits out for Scarlett and performance and all that, so I don't think we want to say this is what Scarlett spec looks like quite yet but the nice thing about Scarlett, huge increase in processing power, that's going to enable us to deliver not just native 4K but also 120 frames*, we talked about being 40x faster with a solid state drive... so not just graphical improvements

* per 2 seconds.

Kidding aside though, if Halo Infinite is a solid launch game, runs at 120fps, and garners plenty of public and media attention, it may be enough to set the bar for the whole generation.

Even if 120fps would be unnecessary for most games, Halo Infinite's 120fps might make a fair few publishers think twice about dropping below 60fps.

At 120fps will it even be graphically improved over Halo 5? Give me a Halo game looking like this at 30fps instead.
If I’m following both consoles right; target res and framerates hang around 4k60. Anything in the 120fps range is likely 1080p.

Leave that up to the developers, thank you very much. Not every game is a BroShooter or BroFighter.

Or an RTS, or a souls-like, or a platformer, or MOBA, or 3rd person action game (Witcher 3 is trash at 30 FPS for instance), or a Diablo clone, or a racing game, or...

All of which are significantly better at 60 FPS.

But if someone never gets to try 60 FPS in those games, they'll never know how much better it is. I think that's the main reason 30 FPS is far more tolerated on consoles than PC. For many genres there's just no option or extremely limited options to try 60 FPS on current consoles.

Best of all worlds next gen is for developers to offer a 60 FPS option in addition to a 30 FPS option if they really feel the need to go that low.

With the additional CPU power available in the next generation, it should be trivially easy to do that compared to the current generation.

Because of that I really don't expect the next gen version of Forza Horizon to be 30 FPS.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Still seems like a big jump. You still have to render out all of the pixels of 4K. You just don't need to do full computation on about half of them

Good point. Maybe CB4K, targeting 120fps but making use of VRR too? I imagine that hovering between 90-120fps would be worth the checkerboard artifacting to some folks.

When we get to the point of 120fps games can be even more agressive with temporal reconstruction and the artifacts will still be reasonably moderate.
One can keep the per-frame pixel quantities at something close to a ps4 pro game and you'd still resolve a full 8k frame sooner than you'd get a new frame out of a 30fps engine.

When we get to the point of 120fps games can be even more agressive with temporal reconstruction and the artifacts will still be reasonably moderate.
One can keep the per-frame pixel quantities at something close to a ps4 pro game and you'd still resolve a full 8k frame sooner than you'd get a new frame out of a 30fps engine.

Yes, temporal reconstruction gets better and better with higher framerates. It's all about how much information you can see within a given amount of time.

What you lose due to temporal reconstruction you gain via temporal resolution.

Basically, temporal reconstruction + low frame rates isn't a good combination.
  • 30 FPS + temporal reconstruction is just plain bad, IMO. Too many artifacts and artifacts are too visible.
  • 60 FPS + temporal reconstruction is the bare minimum, IMO. Artifacts are still there but temporal resolution increases.
  • 120 FPS + temporal reconstruction is where I think it'll really start to shine.
    • Imagine Quantum break at 120 FPS, for instance. Those 4 frames used to build the image would occur in the same time span as a single normal frame at 30 FPS. So at 120 FPS, the image wouldn't break down nearly as much as it does compared to when it was running at 30 FPS.
This is similar to a temporal AA technique that ATI (now AMD) used a long time ago where the sample pattern changed dramatically between frames. However, at less than 60 FPS, the artifacts from it were too noticeable and hence it required a minimum of 60 FPS to use.

If you could run a game at 60+ FPS and turn it on, however, the results were absolutely fantastic. Much better than even 8x MSAA at the time at the same computational cost. IE - 8 sample temporal AA versus 8 sample MSAA. IIRC even the 4 sample temporal AA looked better than 8 sample MSAA as long as you could achieve 60 FPS or better.

Regards,
SB

120 FPS + temporal reconstruction is where I think it'll really start to shine.
  • Imagine Quantum break at 120 FPS, for instance. Those 4 frames used to build the image would occur in the same time span as a single normal frame at 30 FPS. So at 120 FPS, the image wouldn't break down nearly as much as it does compared to when it was running at 30 FPS.
4K at 120fps is still a very large load to handle. Curious to see the thermals on this type of load.

Back