AMD Radeon VII Announcement and Discussion

Radeon VII's early retirement means that AMD has now lost the only consumer card in the current lineup capable of driving 4K games with maxed out settings at a decent framerate. What that means, in my opinion, is we're not going to see a big Navi GPU anytime soon. Otherwise it would make sense for AMD to keep Radeon VII, which they're not making any good profit off of, in production just a little longer at least as a token competition for the GeForce RTX 2080.

Given the OC data of late and the forced clock limitations I think it's obvious that high end aib cards will do vega7s job. Probably for a whole lot less money as well.

Given the OC data of late and the forced clock limitations I think it's obvious that high end aib cards will do vega7s job. Probably for a whole lot less money as well.
Not to mention that Vega 20 is still in production, they just won't be allocating a separate bin to making a Radeon VII.

I don't think the VII being killed off has any bearing on when a bigger Navi will be coming out, just that Navi 10 is close enough that it isn't justifiable to keep it on the regular consumer market.

Not to mention that Vega 20 is still in production, they just won't be allocating a separate bin to making a Radeon VII.

I don't think the VII being killed off has any bearing on when a bigger Navi will be coming out, just that Navi 10 is close enough that it isn't justifiable to keep it on the regular consumer market.
Not to mention that there's literally no official or credible source to this EOL rumor. .

Performance with SoftPowerPlayTables
A 40 CU Navi overclocked @ 2140-70 MHz gets close to 2080FE territory (~20 % faster part, balanced), @ standard clock it is only 5 % slower then Radeon VII and 8 % faster than non-xt and 12 % faster than Vega 64
A 36 CU Navi overclocked @ 1900 MHz gets close to 40 CU part (~8 % faster part)

Additional 4 CU seems to equal a performance increase of 150 - 200 MHz (for 5700-5700XT) or ~ 8-12% with current efficiency. The 2080Ti is only ~42 % faster at 1080p @ DX11, 33 % faster in with DX12 1080p. Difference is higher at 1440p and 4k but also the 2080TI bus-width is ~27.3 % wider, 352-bit.

So a guesstimate with keeping the bus-width at 256-bit (the 24 CU part is 128-bit, so a 56-64 part would probably have a bus-width of 352-384-bit) will land a 56 CU part roughly at 2080TI territory, a 60 or 64 could possibly trade blows with it. 251mm 40 CU to 60 CU could possibly land the chip somewhere at ~305 to 331 (old Radeon VII size). With SIGGRAPH at the end of July, it could be that AMD unveils 5800-series and also 5900-series there, with 5800 release in September and 5900 in November/December?

The rumor isn't all that crazy when you view it from a gaming market perspective I think, the Radeon VII is obsolete. AMD has MI-50, and VEGA Pro II in Mac Pro's, and that could be enough for Vega 20's life?

Tom's made an article about the Cowcotland's report and AMD responded with a somewhat open statement that doesn't seem to confirm or deny EOL status but talks about "strong availability in the channel."
That rather confirms than denies it, once you filter out marketing/PR speech.

P.S.: But FWIW, where I live I don't see R7's prices going down like they would in an EOL-sale.

That rather confirms than denies it, once you filter out marketing/PR speech.

P.S.: But FWIW, where I live I don't see R7's prices going down like they would in an EOL-sale.
Same here. Prices & availibilty are literally the same as when the product launched. Which is the total opposite of the initial claim.

Early unavailability would make such a high end card a collectors item, potentially making speculants buying them more than regular consumers would. Thus the price can increase.

Vega20 (Radeon VII) die photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130561288@N04/48243373832/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130561288@N04/48243282516/

48243282516_d86f894cd4_k.jpg

Seems to be an infrared mode photo of the real die, with metal lid removed, and the integrated heat spreader IHS copper layer scrapped off.

There are a lot more photos like these in his Flickr album.

Last edited:
Cowcotland is the very same outlet who made up the rumor saying the 5700XT Anniversary Edition would be exclusive for the USA and China, to which AMD promptly responded that it was false.

Perhaps it's time for videocardz & friends to stop giving those guys international attention for making stuff up.
That was more of a case of drawing wrong conclusions about future from present. At the time the shop in AMD.com was indeed limited to USA and China, it was updated to include Europe for Ryzen 3000 & RX 5700 launch (and the Anniversary Edition is only available from there)

That was more of a case of drawing wrong conclusions about future from present. At the time the shop in AMD.com was indeed limited to USA and China, it was updated to include Europe for Ryzen 3000 & RX 5700 launch (and the Anniversary Edition is only available from there)
When asked at the Next Horizon Techday about availability in regions other than the US, AMD was very direct, saying the 5700XT AE would be available in Europe as well (they were a bit hesitant about which countries exactly, though. Maybe it was not yet determined at that point).

Back