New GPD Win Max (2019) portable console with AMD Ryzen + Vega 8. The handheld console based on PC.

I like the concept of Smach-Z a lot more (and its 15W Raven Ridge should be some >4x faster in games than a Core m3).
Plus, their prices are really similar too.

Of course, the GPD Win 2 is an actual product and the Smach-Z is vaporware so far :(

Info of the new GPD Win 2 Max, the handheld PC with Windows 10 and AMD Ryzen:

GPD Win Max would use an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B APU with 4x Zen cores + 8 threads at a Base/Turbo frequency of 2.00/3.60 GHz accompanied by AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics with 512 Stream Processors x 1.10 GHz along with a DDR4 memory controller 2400 MHz , a notary performance jump over the Intel Core m3-7Y30 2-core CPU with Intel HD Graphics 615 graphics
. RAM wise, there would be several variants, so it makes sense to think of 8GB of LDDR4 RAM with different storage capacities.

The GPD Win Max would arrive sometime in the current year with a screen greater than 6 inches, M.2 SSD storage, and great connectivity skills like the rest of the models, featuring WiFi + Bluetooth connectivity, microSD card reader, USB Type-A and Type-C ports, HDMI-shaped video output, etc

win-max_01.jpg

GPD-Win-Max-1.jpg

https://liliputing.com/2019/04/gpd-win-max-will-be-an-amd-ryzen-powered-handheld-gaming-pc.html/amp

With Ubuntu on switch, lakka (retroarch) on switch, and android coming to switch....

GPD got heavy competition.

Info of the new GPD Win 2 Max, the handheld PC with Windows 10 and AMD Ryzen:
GPD has been strangely quiet about this. I'm starting to wonder if they haven't canceled it.

Plus, with Ice Lake U getting availability in the near future, I could see why GPD would be hesitant to go with AMD's rather old solution that is known to have problems with power consumption in sleep mode (due to using regular DDR4).
I think the Ice Lake U with Iris Pro should a bit better performance than the V1605B with DDR4 2400MT/s, but without those caveats.

With Ubuntu on switch, lakka (retroarch) on switch, and android coming to switch....

The market for ARM based consoles running android for retro games is already full, and has been for a while.
The switch getting linux and emulators is nice, but with a 1GHz A57 CPU it will probably perform a lot worse than all the ones carrying mediatek/rockship chips with >2GHz Cortex A72.

If the purpose is to run emulators for 30 year old consoles, I doubt people will stop purchasing from the large pool of sub-200€ chinese consoles to get the 320€ switch that probably has lower emulator performance.

the software support it has from running on Windows, which means all my Steam games (150), Game pass for PC games and GoG (270 games) can potentially run on it, and the Keyboard (perhaps it's crappy but it's a keyboard) is, imo, what separates it from the rest.

GPD has been strangely quiet about this. I'm starting to wonder if they haven't canceled it.

Plus, with Ice Lake U getting availability in the near future, I could see why GPD would be hesitant to go with AMD's rather old solution that is known to have problems with power consumption in sleep mode (due to using regular DDR4).
I think the Ice Lake U with Iris Pro should a bit better performance than the V1605B with DDR4 2400MT/s, but without those caveats.
that could well be true... the article is from April, but they mention this:

Meanwhile, the company’s roadmap is starting to look a little crowded:
Aside from Ice Lake U, Intel is going to have dedicated GPUs in 2020.

The market for ARM based consoles running android for retro games is already full, and has been for a while.
The switch getting linux and emulators is nice, but with a 1GHz A57 CPU it will probably perform a lot worse than all the ones carrying mediatek/rockship chips with >2GHz Cortex A72.

If the purpose is to run emulators for 30 year old consoles, I doubt people will stop purchasing from the large pool of sub-200€ chinese consoles to get the 320€ switch that probably has lower emulator performance.

Dunno with the performance comparison, but user reports says switch Ubuntu can run dolphin emulator smoothly.

I think that's the "heaviest" emulation currently available on switch

the software support it has from running on Windows, which means all my Steam games (150), Game pass for PC games and GoG (270 games) can potentially run on it, and the Keyboard (perhaps it's crappy but it's a keyboard) is, imo, what separates it from the rest.

that could well be true... the article is from April, but they mention this:

Aside from Ice Lake U, Intel is going to have dedicated GPUs in 2020.

Yeah, even with Ubuntu, it's still only run ARM Apps :(

Too bad the Windows on arm on switch development seems to be abandoned

some interesting tidbits from an article on the hardware you mention:

When comparing to an equivalent AMD product, Intel stated that it was almost impossible to find one of AMD’s latest 15W APUs actually running at 15W in a device – they stated that every device they could find was actually running one of AMD’s higher performance modes. To make the test fair, Intel pushed one of its Ice Lake-U processors to the equivalent of a 25W TDP and did a direct comparison. This is essentially AMD’s Vega 10 vs Intel’s Gen 11.

For all the games in Intel’s test methodology, they scored anywhere from a 6% loss to a 16% gain, with the average somewhere around a 4-5% gain. The goal here is to show that Intel can focus on graphics and gaming performance in ultra-light designs, with the aim to provide a smooth 1080p experience with popular eSports titles.

IceLake.png

Update: As our readers were quick to pick up on from Intel's full press release, Intel is using faster LPDDR4X on their Ice Lake-U system. This is something that was not disclosed directly by Intel during their pre-Computex presentation.

For some background context, LPDDR4X support is new to Ice Lake-U, and long overdue from Intel as a consequence of Intel's 10nm & Cannon Lake woes. It offers significant density and even greater bandwidth improvements over LPDDR3. Most 7/8/9th Gen Core U systems implemented LPDDR3 for power reasons, and OEMs have been chomping at the bit for LPDDR4(X) so that they don't have to trade off between capacity and power consumption.

That Intel used LPDDR4X in Ice Lake-U versus DDR4 in the AMD system means that Intel had a significant memory bandwidth and latency advantage – around 56%, on paper at least. This sort of differential matters most in integrated graphics performance, suggesting that this is one angle that Intel will readily leverage when it comes to comparisons between the two products.

They even mention Variable Rate Shading (VRS), which has very significant performance improvements:

Moving on, the last set of data comes from Intel’s implementation of Variable Rate Shading (VRS), which was recently introduced in DirectX 12. VRS is a technique that allows the game developer to change the shading resolution of an area on the screen on the fly, allowing a developer to reduce the amount of pixel shading used in order to boost performance, and ideally doing this with little-to-no impact in image quality. It is a new supported feature on Gen11, but it does require the game to support the feature as well. The feature is game specific, and the settings are tuned by the game, not the driver or GPU.

Intel showed that in an ideal synthetic test, they scored a 40% uplift with VRS enabled, and in the synthetic test comparing VRS on and off, that extra performance put it above an equivalent AMD Ryzen system. AMD’s GPU does not support this feature at this time.

Intel is also keen to promote Ice Lake as an AI CPU, due to its AVX512 implementation, and any software than can take advantage of AI can be equipped with accelerated algorithms to speed it up.

Intel%20Computex%20Kickoff%20May%2026%202019-page-029.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14405/intel-teases-ice-lake-integrated-graphics-performance

GPD Win 2, the PC with the size of a 3DS changes its hardware. I think they are going to drop the GPD Win Max and focus on the GPD Win 3.

The GPD Win 2 receives a Core m3-8100Y refresh; redesigned motherboard, improved speakers and costs US$775

The original GPD Win 2 received nearly US$3,000,000 in crowdfunding last year. (Image source: GPD HK)
GPD is refreshing the Win 2, its 6-inch handheld that can run AAA games. The company has not only bumped the device up from a Core m3-7Y30 to a Core m3-8100Y, but it has also redesigned the motherboard to aid better heat dissipation, upgraded the storage to 256 GB and improved the speakers. The new GPD Win 2 is available to order now for US$775 and will ship from July 26.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-G...roved-speakers-and-costs-US-775.427193.0.html

Last edited:
Ice Lake U, once it arrives, is unlikely to be very cheap....
depends on the price you are imagining. It won't be a gaming laptop, thought it looks very promising. Also the fact that Spectre and so on are a thing of the past with the new generation, is always good news. Especially the LPDDR4X ram is going to be super fast for games, and at 720p, a killer. Even at 1080p it can fight with tooth and nail, it seems.

https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.muycomputer.com/2019/05/28/procesadores-ice-lake/

Ice Lake U, once it arrives, is unlikely to be very cheap....
I don't know if Intel will be able to charge as much as they did with previous iterations for their quad-core 15W parts.
From their own presentations, this time they seem a bit worried about comparisons with Picasso.

One can only imagine how a 7nm APU with RDNA GPU (better color compression throughout the pipeline) and access to the same LPDDR4X 3733MT/s (60GB/s total bandwidth) could do.
Though that one isn't coming within the next half year at least.

I don't know if Intel will be able to charge as much as they did with previous iterations for their quad-core 15W parts.
From their own presentations, this time they seem a bit worried about comparisons with Picasso.

One can only imagine how a 7nm APU with RDNA GPU (better color compression throughout the pipeline) and access to the same LPDDR4X 3733MT/s (60GB/s total bandwidth) could do.
Though that one isn't coming within the next half year at least.
I hope that AMD will release such a product soon (and lets not forget that Ice Lake U is scheduled for ”Holiday2019”).
Ice Lake U features new packaging and tech alongside its new memory support and promises way better overall performance than its immediate predecessors. I definitely believe that Intel will charge accordingly for it, since it is destined for the highest end of exclusive light weight laptops.

And that may make it unsuitable for a small handheld windows console, no matter how tasty in other respects.

Back