• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

Nintendo Switch Lite announced.

Shamelessly copied from u/jruhlman09:

• Real D-pad on left side
  • Cannot be docked or connected to TV at all
  • Slightly smaller screen (5.5" vs 6.2")
  • Same 720p resolution
  • Slightly better battery life (no details yet)
  • No kickstand
  • Comes in yellow, grey, or turquoise + special Sword and Shield edition
  • Lighter than normal switch with joy-cons attached.
  • No IR or HD rumble
  • Will function with normal joy-cons for multiplayer/games that require motion.
  • *No brightness adjustment (thanks /u/Wyntier) per The Verge. *EDIT: Could be only a lack of auto-brightness adjustment. The Verge is the only place stating no brightness adjust at all.
  • $199 price point
  • Launch date September 20, 2019

That's what they needed to release initially to set sales blazing.

Weird. Despite nibntedo says Switchless only supports portable play, it still have the two notches for the dick (look at the bottom, on the sides of USB C port)

SwitchLiteComparison.png

SwitchLiteComparison2.png
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/

Don't really like the loss of the removable Joycon controllers, but it does save them from having 2 different sizes. Maybe the $100 off & increase in battery life will be worth it? I think the compatibility explanation will be the key to whether it succeeds or fails. Going to be an interesting Christmas to see how the parents/grandparents understand the differences(or lack of).

Tommy McClain

Don't like the shrunk screen. Why so much bezel? It also would seem there's no hardware refresh beyond housing. Battery savings are likely from the smaller display and less other stuff.

No TV out and the smaller screen are poor moves. Reminiscent of the PSPGo.
No TV-out is pure castration, artificially differentiating the product from the too similar sibling in order, I assume, to justify the price difference.
$199 is a pretty attractive price point though if you were only going to use it portably anyway. The Switch Lite looks quite robust and built for the harsh life in a back pack.

Don't like the shrunk screen. Why so much bezel? It also would seem there's no hardware refresh beyond housing. Battery savings are likely from the smaller display and less other stuff.
33% longer battery life, and as far as I can see the battery in the regular Switch just won’t fit in the smaller Lite. (iFixit) I wouldn’t completely rule out a new SoC. Unfortunately these specs don’t give the actual battery capacity.
Really looking forward to a teardown.

Definitely not something I'd be interested in. Castrated device with poor compromises compared to the NSW, IMO. The best thing about the NSW is that I don't need to use it with the joycons attached. Something I always wished I could do with the 3DS as my hands get cramps eventually using any portable gaming machine's controls. TV out is the next best thing.

It'll be interesting to see if it sells well.

My prediction which will likely be wrong. :p

It will sell well during the holiday season when parents and grandparents who don't know anything about the Nintendo game market want to buy something for their children or grandchildren.

It will sell worse than the NSW in all other months of the year as more knowledgeable people are buying the device for themselves.

Regards,
SB

Well they're trying to expand the market, boost sales with the lower price and the fruity colors.

But September is an interesting time to launch it.

Maybe they will launch a different SKU in November, the rumored pro version.

This doesn’t seem to make much sense, if it were a bit smaller and cheaper I would get it...but it just seems pointless.

Switch has been sold on its versatility; portable or on TV, play with friends anywhere, continue your game on the go etc and this is totally the opposite.

Switch has been sold on its versatility; portable or on TV, play with friends anywhere, continue your game on the go etc and this is totally the opposite.

I've said this before, that was just the gimmick to gain interest. The real selling point is Nintendo's games, same as every other console they've made. The Switch is a great nexus for all their output.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TV only one eventually.

I just think their execution's not great.

We don't know anything about the internals yet, but the fact that it has vents at the top and bottom suggests the SoC hasn't changed, it just has a cheaper cooling solution. Hence the lack of TV out. Maybe it'll still come, but I'd prefer to see a newer SoC, either 12nm or, ideally, 7nm. Then release 3 products:
  1. Switch Lite. Like the announced one, but capable of TV out, and a screen that goes to the edges of the announced Switch Lite's bezel. Image in the spoiler below.
  2. Switch Pro. Same dimensions as the Switch, but a larger screen. Option to use base Switch's portable or docked mode whether docked or portable. Capable of higher clocks than the base Switch when docked. Maybe more memory.
  3. Switch TV. A little box that only operates in the docked mode of either base Switch or Switch Pro.
I think all 3 of those devices would collectively sell gangbusters and get the widest audience involved in their ecosystem. Joy Cons would certainly sell well.

switchlitebox.jpg

Back