LucidLogix Virtu GPU

Davros

Legend
My Motherboard supports this, nice to have the option but, is it of any
practical use?
I know about quick sync but I don't transcode anything.
anyone use it ?

Quick sync works on most motherboards, even without Virtu GPU. On my ASUS ROG Maximux IV GENE/Z, quick sync works regardless if the VirtuGPU stuff is enabled/installed at all. I don't even know if VirtuGPU is supported, anymore.

That being said, the larger Turing chips seem to have a slightly better HW transcoder, at the moment. The Intel stuff was ahead for a while, but has stagnated with Intel's 10nm plans.

Thanks but quick sync is of no use to me
ps: are there vga drivers for an i5-2400 (Intel® HD Graphics 2000) for windows 10
and is virtu-gpu supported under win 10.
gigabyte only have win 8 drivers and LucidLogix site seems to be gone

Sandy Bridge IGP is supported with some drivers that come from Windows Update. I've had a 2500K's HD 3000 running Windows 10 ok.

Why do you want to mess with Virtu? I do think you'd need to run an older Windows to use it.

Last edited:
Curiosity and I'm thinking if I have any games that arnt stable with my nv card
switching to the onboard intel might be a fix (eg grid autosport ctd's randomly dont know if its because of the nv card though)

Curiosity and I'm thinking if I have any games that arnt stable with my nv card
switching to the onboard intel might be a fix (eg grid autosport ctd's randomly dont know if its because of the nv card though)

I'd recommend going through the potentially laborious process of installing previous NV driver versions and seeing if you find one that is stable in that game.

Unfortunately, I find that it isn't uncommon for there to be stability and IQ regressions in the newest drivers for games that aren't the newest released AAA games on my 1070. It has happened enough with the games that I play that I actively avoid installing the latest NV drivers once I find one that is stable WRT to IQ and game stability unless some new game breaks when using that driver.

It has come to the point where I'd rather have correct visuals in game and stability in the games I play regularly over "speed increases" in newer NV drivers. I don't know what they are doing over there, but NV drivers are absolutely horrible if you regularly play older or non-AAA games. Or I'm just unlucky that NV regularly breaks drivers for the games that I play.

Regards,
SB

SB, I feel that you should document the problems with your games (pictures are worth a zillion words), and show which drivers work properly. Maybe buy some cheapish recentish AMD card and see if they run your games perfectly. Maybe you can "go viral" or something and get a sweet NV/AMD job out of it. Remember me as your inspiration. ;)

At the very least it would be an interesting little project.

SB, I feel that you should document the problems with your games (pictures are worth a zillion words), and show which drivers work properly. Maybe buy some cheapish recentish AMD card and see if they run your games perfectly. Maybe you can "go viral" or something and get a sweet NV/AMD job out of it. Remember me as your inspiration. ;)

At the very least it would be an interesting little project.

I've thought about that occasionally, but I just don't have the time for it at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future. :) It's not as annoying now that I've stopped upgrading to the newest NV drivers, but it still hits me in the face occasionally.

As for AMD drivers, I don't know what state they are in now. I finally got rid of my R290, so I don't have one with which to test. But the drivers with that card were certainly far better, if not as performant, compared to the drivers I've used for the 1070.

I do wonder if I were to go back to AMD, would the driver situation there have degraded to the point that it's the same as it is with the NV drivers for me now?

Regards,
SB

I can't speak for the state of AMD's drivers for your particular system and games, because there's no such thing as bug free software, but I can speak about how seriously the AMD driver team took any report or complaint about a bug, broken functionalty, and stability. It's AMD's traditional Achilles' heel, and the SW dev teams work tirelessly to make sure they don't regress backwards and get that reputation again.

That's not to say bugs and problems won't happen on AMD, but if you report a bug and provide repro steps, the chances are high that it'll get addressed in the next possible driver release. There's latency for new features being accepted into the GPU driver, but very little latency for fixes. That's especially true for anything popular that affects a large swathe of the customer base, but I've seen bugs that affect a single user get fixed in a single release cycle.

It's a very high quality driver today as a result, especially in certain subsystems (any of the client API drivers built on PAL in particular). If you have an issue and aren't sure how to report it, I can help.

I can't speak for the state of AMD's drivers for your particular system and games, because there's no such thing as bug free software, but I can speak about how seriously the AMD driver team took any report or complaint about a bug, broken functionalty, and stability. It's AMD's traditional Achilles' heel, and the SW dev teams work tirelessly to make sure they don't regress backwards and get that reputation again.

That's not to say bugs and problems won't happen on AMD, but if you report a bug and provide repro steps, the chances are high that it'll get addressed in the next possible driver release. There's latency for new features being accepted into the GPU driver, but very little latency for fixes. That's especially true for anything popular that affects a large swathe of the customer base, but I've seen bugs that affect a single user get fixed in a single release cycle.

It's a very high quality driver today as a result, especially in certain subsystems (any of the client API drivers built on PAL in particular). If you have an issue and aren't sure how to report it, I can help.

Good to hear that if I were to get an AMD card again that the driver quality will still be as good (if not better) as when I had my R290. The R290 wasn't perfect, there were some idiosyncrasies, but that was due to the hardware and not the drivers, I think. Because the behavior didn't change over the life of the card (different drivers didn't change the behavior).

Regards,
SB

Back