AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

It might speak to the level of engine optimization involved on there. Navi is just making utilization easier/higher for devs/engines that hadn't gone the distance.

Also that, yes, which if true would be huge for AMD because they don't have the same engineering resources to send out to devs as nvidia.

$400 for the 5700XT seems like a great deal if it's similar performance to a 2070. To myself and a lot of users, RT just isn't worth investing into yet (apart from maybe the enthusiast market at 3x the price) so those transistors are just wasted space and $$. That's why I bought a used 1080 after Turing release to get me through another couple of years.

The value of a GPU isn't determined by the die size, it's about what the market will pay for it and what other competitor products are selling for. Say thanks to Nvidia for the current GPU pricing and for allowing AMD to hopefully make a decent profit on Navi.

How important is VRS going to be in the future? Nvidia claimed it can improve performance up to 20% in Civilization VI, but in Wolfenstein 2 it only provided an extra 1-2% boost. Is VRS even going to be relevant for 1080p gamers? Or is the real benefit for high resolutions only?

Depends on the game's particular bottlenecks, and what hardware you're running. It might be more relevant to lower end hardware.

Wow yea $400 tips the scales in AMD's favor, that puts it against the 2060 super which it should beat easily.

I might be sticking with AMD again this round, well see!

How important is VRS going to be in the future? Nvidia claimed it can improve performance up to 20% in Civilization VI, but in Wolfenstein 2 it only provided an extra 1-2% boost. Is VRS even going to be relevant for 1080p gamers? Or is the real benefit for high resolutions only?

I think in theory it only benefits large resolutions because pixel shading performance supposedly needs to scale linearly with resolution increase.

The tech is actually more usable for VR, especially when paired with eye-tracking. The general idea is to use higher detail in the zone where the eye is looking, and significantly lower the detail in the surrounding area. I doubt we'll have eye tracking on monitors, so the use in those is rather limited.
nVidia even puts the feature under their VRWorks libraries.

A step closer to save PC gaming... :)

From what? It's bigger then ever before. Yes GPU prices are high thanks to Nvidia, but saying PC gaming is dead or is dying has been said since it's existence.
Also, not everyone is wanting to buy the higher-end GPU products, where over-pricing occurs mostly. In the 90's and early 2000's, pc gamers had it even more expensive i think :)

Currently PC gaming is going to be too expensive. With those prices people will run to next gen consoles and streaming.

Like said above, many have wanted PC gaming dead for some reason, for aslong i can remember, it never happened though. There's nothing to worry about i think, maybe the Stadia/PSnow/Xcloud things replacing consoles.... but even that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I can confirm at this point that the price cuts are real (or rather, E3 prices were just to see what NVIDIA does)
$349 for 5700, $399 for XT and $449 for Annoversary

So, basically price it high because you know NV are going to respond in some way. Pretty much everyone knew NV would respond in some way, either with new product or a price cut.

Then wait until after NV responds, then reveal the real price.

On the one hand, if that was planned, it was well done. OTOH - I wonder how consumers will react to what at first glance appears to be AMD first being arrogant with price and then having to retreat from it after NV releases new products.

Regards,
SB

Most useful benchmark leak ever. You sir have provided everything I need to decide on a GPU.

For those unaware of the media plugin functionality, you can swipe right or left to see the other benchmarks in that imgur album. There are 21 in total.

Back