Borderlands 3 [PS4, XO]

Lot's of new Borderlands 3 stuff since the official announcement, including game play footage released yesterday:

More complicated skill trees, more weapon combinations, weapon alt modes that almost make each weapon into two different weapons (can completely change ammo type or switch between elements), and new loot and co-op system that I wanted to briefly discuss:

They've now given you the option to keep everything the same as it was, or switch it so that the loot is unique to each player and levels up or down based on the individual player. Benefits of this is obviously that one player can't rush ahead and steal all the good loot. The purpose is to improve co-op game play.

I happen to think this will have the opposite effect. The most "cooperative" aspect of Borderlands, IMO, was deciding to steal the good loot first or give it to your bud(dies). It was that decision to play as a team or not, that made it actually cooperative. If you're just running through, don't have to wait for your teammate(s) to check the loot and decide if or what they want, I envision more players separated across different parts of the map.

Still, looks like great fun. Looks like... Borderlands. Better than the Pre-Sequel, that's for sure. Release date in Sept 2019.

More Borderlands 3 news about the difference in skill trees.. This sounds really neat, instead of just having one key function (say, Turret or Bloodwing), each skill tree starts with a different special ability:

Instead of having one unique ability that all three skill trees build upon, Borderlands 3's Vault Hunters have three distinct abilities--one for each of their three trees--and then one unique trait that separates them from the other characters. So the three skill trees of each Vault Hunter in Borderlands 3 are built around different abilities, allowing each one to have three distinct playstyles.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/borderlands-3-creates-a-rewarding-experience-for-s/1100-6466591/

More takes (my summaries) from the BL3 game play news:

So instead of having a single "special" and three skills trees branching off of that and then having an "ultimate" at the bottom, each skill tree has its own special at that top and I don't think there are any true "ultimates" at the bottom of any of them. Now, the thing is that you can apparently only equip one of the specials at any given time, so you need to choose before or during battle (not sure how long or when you get to swap specials) which one you want. Except for Zane. Zane has the ability to equip two of his specials at once, essentially binding the second special to the grenade button and foregoing the ability to use grenades.

I didn't pay much attention to Amara's skill tree - I read through it but not very closely because I just can't handle Sirens play style - not in BL1 or BL2 and after reading through her skills in BL3, I can tell I won't like her there either. Siren fans are free to completely disagree. But I did a deeper dive into Zane's skill trees and it's what makes me excited about BL3 because it builds off of what made BL2 so much better than BL1. As I mentioned above, Zane can forego the use of grenades to equip a second special skill. An ability that is unique to him. But you know what? Reading through his skill tree, he has huge amounts of skills that are tied directly to the use of grenades. He looks like he is the "bombadier" class in BL3, but they're giving you the option of going away from that character build with the second special.

Tough decisions straight out of the gate. For any other character that didn't have so many grenade skills, giving up grenades for a second special is a no-brainer. Well, Gearbox don't play that.

I love it.

I always hated the way Borderlands was doing cartoon shading. It looked so unconvincing and cheap compared to, let's say, the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games for example. Applying a cross hatch pattern to a texture and an object outline just isn't doing it for me I'm afraid. Looks less like a cartoon and more like a regular game with really half-assed texture work to me. The exact same holds true for the Telltale games. Now that it's 2019 it looks really cheap.

Downloaded today the 1.04 version of BDL2.... Is someone able to download also the new free DLC ? Well it's free for one month I've read.... Then who downloads it will pay 11.99 euro

For having the DLC for free PlayStation Plus is needed.... I've discovered also is necessary to "buy" for free the Handsome Collection that is the monthly free game of PS Plus...

Hopefully get a chance to play this weekend.

If you're like me and you've switched platforms since playing the original Borderlands 2 (in my case from Xbox 360 to PC), Gearbox has your back: You can roll a new level-30 character using any of the Borderlands 2 Vault Hunters and dive right into the Fight for Sanctuary.

Is pretty neat if you haven't played the game in a while - I have no idea what level my mechromancer is, or how I was using the funky interactions between reloading. not having full shields, etc.. etc.. All those skill and equip interactions have been wiped from my brain. Might just have to start a fresh character at lvl 30.

New updates to that IGN article, apparently learned from the demo at E3. The ability to trade items and buy weapons from friends and also get invites to fight rare spawn enemies makes my toes tingle!

79) When people on your friends list sell weapons in Borderlands 3, you can see and buy them from vendors in your own game, regardless of if you’ve ever played co-op with that friend.

80) Rare Spawn enemies have a 20% chance to spawn, but when a friend encounters one in their game, it will dynamically create a mission in your game to take the enemy down.

81) You don’t have to exit the game to invite a friend - just look through your in-game friends list at any time, and invite them to play.

82) Couch co-op splitscreen will return (only two-player splitscreen was demonstrated).

83) You can trade items to friends in the game off-line, meaning they don’t have to actively be playing with you online to make that trade.

84) Borderlands 3 is introducing emotes to the series.

85) The demo showed off skills of the third playable character, Moze. Each skill tree has two equipable weapons, but players can choose to use two of the same weapon if they wish.

Back