AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

More like pared back compute, the 5700XT matches Vega 64 here. The game was also curiously absent from any AMD marketing material.

There are no new drivers, this is the drivers reviewers got and tested with, it's the same situation as Radeon VII, AMD supplies the press with buggy drivers that have certain less essential features not working, till they sort the bugs out.

Somebody said they got review drivers ~12hours ago... So I doubt someone has a full review completed if that is true.
Maybe Ryan can chime in? That is if he ever takes a break this weekend.

OEM must be loving this decision
OEMs knew, or at least the people that needed to know.
Edit- Not sure if that was sarcasm or not...

Last edited:
I take it that those benchmarks don't include RTX on in games that support it.
If would be ridiculous if they did. But then, what do you know with guys in helmets? What other aberrations might they entertain? I only saw one really dubious result, but with leaks like this you take what they present with a grain of salt. It could all be fabricated.
There will shortly be written reviews with testing conditions specified and so many of them that you can sort the wheat from the chaff, and discard outliers.
These leaks provide some discussion fodder, that's all, but I actually think the cautiousness fostered by talking about leaked benchmarks is good. Small changes in testing conditions can throw off measurements under more controlled conditions as well.

Navi's non-proportional performance upgrade between different games/loads when compared to Vega really shows how different the architecture really is.

Ever since the introduction of Southern Islands / GCN1, we got used to see that GPU N+1 was X% faster than GPU N of the same segment, across the majority of games.
Now we see Navi 10 largely surpassing Vega 10 in games that traditionally favored nvidia architectures (e.g. Civilization 6 or Wildlands) and losing to Vega 10 in games that favored high compute throughput like Wolfenstein II.

This is assuming the guys in helmets and other leakers aren't making up results, of course.

I don't think pre-orders were ever opened for Navi cards, other than the typical stores who do pre-orders with inflated placeholder prices.

Also, I don't think that price reduction is nearly enough to gain a substantial mindshare among reviewers, but we should wait for reviews nonetheless.

I'm trying to understand where AMD got the idea that Nvidia would not price cut or change their products to better meet AMD's value proposition or rather lack thereof. Those new Navi prices are still too high and the only thing that will save face is a further drop to levels it should've been in the first place: $300 for the XT as to assume it's real place as an RX 580 successor. I wonder if they were worried about riling up the green giant to push 2nd gen RTX faster into the marketplace.

The price creep is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Who's to say this isn't exactly what AMD expected and this isnt part of their market segment plan? They had to know Nvidia would counter, so why open things up at their best price and have no room to counter? You know, sort of like trying to sell a house, as the seller you set a higher than expected initial price because you know the buyer offers always come in low, wait for the first buyer counter offer, then go with a counter offer to the counter offer. The buyer gets a price lower than asking and the seller gets a price higher than their wants as well and everyone feels like they got a deal.

Now we see Navi 10 largely surpassing Vega 10 in games that traditionally favored nvidia architectures (e.g. Civilization 6 or Wildlands) and losing to Vega 10 in games that favored high compute throughput like Wolfenstein II.
Don't make me nervous! :)
But on the leaked benches XT beats V64 slightly in Wolfenstein, and NO game is compute intense at all yet if you ask me. (Also Wolfenstein has VRS to give NV the edge? Just to mention.)

Those new Navi prices are still too high and the only thing that will save face is a further drop to levels it should've been in the first place: $300 for the XT as to assume it's real place as an RX 580 successor.
I think they should have lowered at least non XT to 300. XT can cost more, but entry should be more easy.
Currently PC gaming is going to be too expensive. With those prices people will run to next gen consoles and streaming. NVs most threatening competition is NV :D
But let's see what happens with street prices...

@BRiT

I considered this, but asking $450 for a graphics card using a 251mm² GPU die is egregious. AMD is trying to pull an Nvidia type pricing scheme without either the clout or any extra features (even if RTX is sophmoric). I found it disrespectful as a consumer who buys AMD because I don't agree with Nvidia's price scheming and other practices. Makes me want to jump shit entirely. They're not respecting my dollar and the real value that I (and plenty of others) really see Navi as being worth based on actual prospective performance and past product pricing.

(Also Wolfenstein has VRS to give NV the edge? Just to mention.)
VRS' performance difference in Wolfenstein II is at most 7% on the fastest / lowest quality mode.
I can't find any image quality comparison between the adaptive shading modes, but i's not game changing.

I think they should have lowered at least non XT to 300. XT can cost more, but entry should be more easy.
Currently PC gaming is going to be too expensive. With those prices people will run to next gen consoles and streaming. NVs most threatening competition is NV :D
But let's see what happens with street prices...

I agree that the sweetspot for Navi cards should be ~$300 for the 5700 and ~$350 for the 5700XT.
Another thing they should be betting on IMO is CPU+GPU or CPU+motherboard+GPU bundles, which are non-existent so far.

However it seems AMD is putting a lot of cards in the market next sunday, so street prices could go down sooner than later.

@BRiT

I considered this, but asking $450 for a graphics card using a 251mm² GPU die is egregious. AMD is trying to pull an Nvidia type pricing scheme without either the clout or any extra features (even if RTX is sophmoric). I found it disrespectful as a consumer who buys AMD because I don't agree with Nvidia's price scheming and other practices. Makes me want to jump shit entirely. They're not respecting my dollar and the real value that I (and plenty of others) really see Navi as being worth based on actual prospective performance and past product pricing.

Well, AMD need money...

Navi's non-proportional performance upgrade between different games/loads when compared to Vega really shows how different the architecture really is.

Ever since the introduction of Southern Islands / GCN1, we got used to see that GPU N+1 was X% faster than GPU N of the same segment, across the majority of games.

This is assuming the guys in helmets and other leakers aren't making up results, of course.

It might speak to the level of engine optimization involved on there. Navi is just making utilization easier/higher for devs/engines that hadn't gone the distance.

Back