Formula 1 - 2019 Season

Odd rule. From ESPN F1 UK: https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27081895/hamilton-gets-three-place-grid-penalty-kimi-block

There was some confusion over whether Hamilton would start fifth or fourth on the grid, with confirmation coming late in the day from F1 that it would be fourth despite Mercedes initially believing it would be fifth. The reason is because Kevin Magnussen in fifth place also has a grid penalty (of five places due to a gearbox change) and the Haas driver effectively leaves an empty space on the grid behind Hamilton. Only once all grid penalties have been applied (there are six this weekend) are the empty spaces vacated by drivers with penalties removed from the provisional grid, meaning Hamilton drops three places to fifth with his penalty and then moves up one place to take the position vacated by Magnussen.

Scratch that, somehow they figured a way to drop Hamilton only to 4th even though he got 3 place penalty :rolleyes:
Wow wat o_O
First race of the season without a Merc on front line isn't it?

Vettel isn't having a lot of fun lately, close to a big crash in practice, had mechanical issues in end of Q2 and couldn't set a time in Q3 -> 10th.

Norris/McLaren is doing well lately.

Unlucky Kvyat strikes again: damn close to running up the rear of slow Williams in the middle of the road on the last corner, had to dodge off track & failed to get into Q2.
Though his times had been pretty poor through practice & earlier in Q1 so I have my doubts he'd have made the cut anyway.
Albon with the new engine got into Q2 with 13th but goes to back of the grid for the engine change.

Race will be interesting due to the mixed up grid. Hopefully it's not a Mercedes runaway. Leclerc for the win?

So I don't watch these races, but it seemed like there might be some surprises so I turned it on around lap 24 and was surprised. I even had to check to make sure it wasn't a replay from earlier races.

Hamilton was the lap leader. How was that possible?

Or he was leading until he went in to change the front nose piece. Now he has to work his way back up through the field from position 5.[/url].

So I don't watch these races, but it seemed like there might be some surprises so I turned it on around lap 24 and was surprised. I even had to check to make sure it wasn't a replay from earlier races.

Hamilton was the lap leader. How was that possible?

Or he was leading until he went in to change the front nose piece. Now he has to work his way back up through the field from position 5.[/url].
The people in front of him earlier had pitted already I think?
edit: also Verstappen stalled at start and dropped behind him right away

Last edited:
Oh look another Fin angry his wingman driver has again finished behind the rest.

We all know you don't want to see racing. Anyway lecler left the door open and got passed.
Oh I do want to see racing, but that requires them to change the rules. Currently the situation is that certain drivers are (more) free to break the rules than the rest, and what Verstappen did is explicitly against the rules. This is taken right after they touched, after this even Max had trouble staying within track limits (only parts of his right tires were on track after). Rules explicitly forbid pushing anyone out from the track.

upload_2019-6-30_18-51-31.png

Don't repeat what Binotto said just to look intelligent.

How about you post a picture of right before they turned into the corner. Leclerc left the door wide open, Max got fully along side. At that point I believe that is considered as the pass being made and allows a driver to take the racing line.

Next post a picture of mid corner. Max is still along side, on the best line.

But lecler didn't want to give up and ended up driving into space that wasn't there. Maybe leclerc should have backed off because he obviously was not leading nor on the racing line.

I have no clue what Binotto has said. The line is irrelevant if there's another driver on your side your line can't force the other off from track. Rules are simple, they're bad for racing in many ways, but they still stand.

This time rules were the same even for Verstappen, Leclerc wins.

Edit: might have been fake news, even though it was reported by news sites

edit2: was fake news indeed, rules still don't apply to Verstappen

edit3:
As a friendly reminder, this is how he acts when the roles are reversed (and yes, Rosberg got penalty for it)

Last edited:
And this is what Leclerc thought of such moves back in karting.

You can waste your time trying to make a point that isn't there but how about we are happy we finally got to see some real racing again? If it wasn't for Verstappen it would have been another 1.5 hours of not much happening.

If you don't like that why don't you just go outside and watch grandpa drive his Prius up and down the road?

edit3:
As a friendly reminder, this is how he acts when the roles are reversed (and yes, Rosberg got penalty for it)

I don't sadly recall that incident, but rewatching it seemed like Rosberg did apply full steering lock at his leisure while Max yesterday had full lock the entire time

It was a good race and Verstappen made up for his anti-stall start. Gasly in the other RBR is being decidedly outclassed, but will he be replaced?
Verstappen's move was probably a bit rude, but he doesn't deserve a penalty.

Don't make it personal, guys.

If Seb got a penalty for squeezing someone off track (wilfully, i.e., assuming he was in control), Max should have gotten the same penalty. I don't think it should be a penalty in the first place, but if it was applied to Seb in Canada, it should be applied to Max here. I understand the two incidents aren't exactly similar in that Seb's happened after the corner and Max's happened in the corner. My focus is on the "always have to leave the space" bit. Max knew what he was doing taking a late apex, full steering lock or not, just as Seb knew what he was doing steering into Lewis. Checking your mirrors seems irrelevant in this case.

If Seb got the penalty for an unsafe rejoin, for the same reason Danny got his pen last race, then no penalty for Max. There was no unsafe rejoin here.

I do feel that Max gets away with a lot, similar to how Real Madrid got away with a lot of cardable fouls in their threepeat Champions' League run. How he gets away with the same incident Rosberg was penalized for, I have no idea. Seriously, it's a carbon copy.

Leclerc's post-race interview with Sky: "The Red Bulls were [better] on their tires--well, Max, anyway." Poor Gasly.

If you don't like that why don't you just go outside and watch grandpa drive his Prius up and down the road?
I do like and want racing, but when the rules are what they and as long as they stand, everyone should be treated the same which again wasn't the case.

Honda engine was very strong for once.
Very impressive, but not for Kvyat stuck at the back, had a hard time passing or pulling away from the Williamses for some reason :no:

Rosberg did apply full steering lock at his leisure while Max yesterday had full lock the entire time
Max didn't have full lock the entire time, he eased it coming out, I think he could have left a bunch more space to his left.

I think the difference with the Rosberg one is Rosberg was really late actually starting to turn.
He went half way across the track ignoring the apex before going into the turn -> 2nd half was skirting all the way round the outside edge forcing Max off.

Leclerc will have another shot at a win and losing this one wasn't as heartbreaking as in Bahrain. Leclerc will now know what Verstappen is made of and will have to rise to the challenge. As the old jungle saying goes: The Phantom is rough with roughnecks.

Don't make it personal, guys.

If Seb got a penalty for squeezing someone off track (wilfully, i.e., assuming he was in control), Max should have gotten the same penalty. I don't think it should be a penalty in the first place, but if it was applied to Seb in Canada, it should be applied to Max here. I understand the two incidents aren't exactly similar in that Seb's happened after the corner and Max's happened in the corner. My focus is on the "always have to leave the space" bit. Max knew what he was doing taking a late apex, full steering lock or not, just as Seb knew what he was doing steering into Lewis. Checking your mirrors seems irrelevant in this case.

If Seb got the penalty for an unsafe rejoin, for the same reason Danny got his pen last race, then no penalty for Max. There was no unsafe rejoin here.

I do feel that Max gets away with a lot, similar to how Real Madrid got away with a lot of cardable fouls in their threepeat Champions' League run. How he gets away with the same incident Rosberg was penalized for, I have no idea. Seriously, it's a carbon copy.

Leclerc's post-race interview with Sky: "The Red Bulls were [better] on their tires--well, Max, anyway." Poor Gasly.

I love how nobody seems to remember the basic rules of racing.

Defend the inside of the corner and force your opponent to take the long way around.

Leclerc did exactly the opposite. He left the inside wide open. Verstappen took the opportunity and was alongside leclerc in the corner.

Now why would it purely be on Verstappen to give leclerc all the space he needs? Leclerc got passed because he left the gap, forcing him to drive into a gap that was always going to disappear. He should/could have backed out.

Back