Movie Reviews 2.0

Ah okay. I never really looked into the novels. For some reason I just assumed they'd be closer in tone to something like Jurassic Park than Deep Blue Sea (which is an awesome film mind you. Much better than The Meg in fact)

Shocking News of the day.

Dark Phoenix really is as rubbish as everyone is saying. What a load of crap, and what a huge shame to end the Xmen on such a low note.

Shit.

Nevermind, I'm sure they'll reboot with a new cast later in the year or maybe next year :rolleyes:

They're likely hoping to be pulled into the Marvel Cinematic family to be fixed and resurrected now that Disney owns it all.

Shazam! Finally a DC live action movie that doesn't suck.
Hey. Batman VS superman ultimate edition would like a word, even with its many flaws (the first being Lex luthor actor). Too bad it was ruined by the awful Justice League (mainly because they wanted to make it a fun Marvel movie and not a sequel of Batman Vs Superman).

Wonder Woman was pretty good I thought. Main problem for me was that the trenches/village bit was the high point. The end boss battle was less interesting and very Marvel phase 1.

Wonder Women was a decent popcorn flick movie except I hated all the parts where Gadot was acting as Diana. That performance was horrible, way too flat, lifeless, emotionless, and a bit unbelievable.

SuperMan and BvsS was way too super serious. The only character who actually had a plan and executed it was Lex Luthor. Everyone else was way too stupid. The editing of the theatrical version did more harm than good. The extended edition was better, but entirely too long to hold my interest.

League was so awful, it was also flat and squandered too many opportunities with some of the new characters.

Aquaman was total flop where I didn't care for any of the characters you were supposed to and the major CGI action bits were just so over the top to the Dont Give a Fck about what was happening to be enjoyable.

The tone of Shazam was more like Deadpool but rated TV-Y7. Nice balance of silliness on the level of a 12 year old while having a serious showdown against evil. I'm not sure how they'll do on a sequel, my fear is they'll try to make it more serious like Aquaman or League or Batman and that will completely kill the pleasure of the character and movie.

By the same token, I dont think they'll have any success mixing the character of Shazam into any movie with serious characters like everyone else from DC like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman. If they try, they will likely kill any positives they have going for them.

Watched that animated Spider-man movie. Into the Spiderverse I believe it was called? Superb movie. The characters were all lovely and the visual style was simply arresting.

I also liked Wonder Woman, but I'm afraid I've probably been blind-sided by the fact that the movie simply wasn't a giant, DC-produced turd for a change. In terms of sheer quality it was probably closer to one of the lesser Marvel movies than it was to an honest to god gem. The third act in particular was incredibly by-the-numbers.

Justice League was such a cobbled-together mess it made me appreciate Batman V Superman. Cyborg in particular reminded me of a Chinese knock-off toy.

Watched that animated Spider-man movie. Into the Spiderverse I believe it was called? Superb movie. The characters were all lovely and the visual style was simply arresting.
Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised with Spiderverse! Apparently more is in the works from SUMC (Sony's Universe of Marvel's Characters) as they will go deep into the Spiderman roster for the following in development or planned upcoming movies:

Morbius, Venom 2, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2, All-female cast Spider-Verse Spin-Off, Kraven the Hunter,
Black Cat, Silver Sable, Nightwatch, Silk, and Jackpot.

IMO, Marvel offers a gold-mine of main characters and secondary characters to bring to the screen.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/28/after-the-venom-movie-every-spider-man-spin-off-in-development

Watched that barely non-animated Aquaman movie. That one was also a bit crap I'd say. Visually it was really quite striking, but what does it all matter when most of your dialogue is of the dry, expository kind. Seriously, the first hour felt like watching a very prolonged Star Wars text crawl. Second half was better because it was mostly just characters punching shit.

Ok, I just found out that a black girl has been chosen to play Ariel in Disney's The Little Mermaid live-action movie. :mrgreen: They knew what they were doing, so I wonder how will people react to this.

singing fish and crabs and octopuses? hey thats fun
mermaids? sure that's fine
a black mermaid? blalgalghkjadgladglagdadlg

singing fish and crabs and octopuses? hey thats fun
mermaids? sure that's fine
a black mermaid? blalgalghkjadgladglagdadlg
I don't think the "issue" is a black mermaid, per se.

BTW, it was so cool to see black mermaids in Siren!

Back