Definitive list of every game with stencil shadows

I was reminded of Stuntman today and got to looking up some clips on youtube. I played a ton of it in its day, so much that it's a wonder I survived the psychological torture. But I haven't touched it since and didn't remember much of it, visually. Turns out it makes crazy use of stencil shadows on the PS2, to the point I wouldn't have thought it was possible given everything else it's doing with its physics model and just how good it looks in general. Here's an example:

Last edited:
Necro thread!

So I saw the Q2 RTX thing and wondered if anyone here had mentioned it. Searched Quake 2 and this came up.

gl_shadows 1 turned on stencil shadows in quake 2. So that was a bit long ago. I thought they were pretty awesome at the time. I don't have a decent graphics card at the moment otherwise I would probably be trying out q2 rtx right now.

Funny how a Google search on Dreamcast Shadow Volumes leads me back to Beyond3D.

I was reminded of Stuntman today and got to looking up some clips on youtube. I played a ton of it in its day, so much that it's a wonder I survived the psychological torture. But I haven't touched it since and didn't remember much of it, visually. Turns out it makes crazy use of stencil shadows on the PS2, to the point I wouldn't have thought it was possible given everything else it's doing with its physics model and just how good it looks in general. Here's an example:

I'm going to bet that Stuntman is like the majority of PS2 games: barely touching Vector Unit 0.

Last edited:
Here's a question that I sorta touched upon when making this thread two years ago: what modern, shadowmapped games do you all think stand with Doom 3 and its ilk in terms of comprehensive, "unified" light and shadow? As in no baked or preprocessed solution for any of its lighting, virtually every light or at least every significant light is a shadowcaster, and all that lighting is interactive. REmake 2? RE7? Alien Isolation? The first Evil Within (yes, really)? RTX Quake 2? Something less obvious?

And if any of those games feature some baked elements feel free to point it out to me

It's not a less obvious example and obviously the game relies on some baked GI transitions given its sheer scope, but it's kinda nuts just how comprehensive the dynamic side of Red Dead Redemption 2's lighting is. Even without the baked GI it would look great, and it certainly stands nice and tight with Doom 3 and Riddick given the sheer number of dynamic, interactive shadowcasters it can throw on screen.

Back